WW2 LST-393 Photo Tour - Muskegon, MI Aug.2009

MWalsh

I was in Muskegon, Michigan a few weeks ago and was able to tour the WW2 LST-393.

The 393 has quite a history. It was built during WW2 and made runs to North Africa, Sicily, and then France too, it's first trip to France was to Normandy on June 7th, 1944. After much service in that part of Europe, the LST 393 was sent back to the USA to get ready to go to the Pacific. The war ended before that could happen, and the LST-393 then became a car ferry running between Wisconsin and Michigan.

Serious restoration started several years ago, and I have to say that those who have worked on it have done a FANTASTIC job! It looks great inside and out, and a large number of spaces and compartments are open, available for tour through, and nice looking and well kept. There were still areas of her which were "works in progress", but man overall it was really nice! The entire tank deck was fantastic too - it has been made into a large museum, that deck, with all things military displayed, and also a nice little gift shop too.

I took a ton of pictures, I will post a bunch of them and narrate them as needed to.

If you ever get to Muskegon, Michigan or are within a couple hours, make the trip! It is well worth it to see the LST-393 and tour it, the tour was cheap too!

Oh, one last thing... the group who restored the 393 knows of only one other restored LST, that being the one in Evansville, Indiana. However, there are thought to be two more in the USA worthy of restoration, one being in Oregon, the other in Massachusetts. Anyone know anything about those two????

Enjoy the pics!

MW

Sorry folks, just realized I need to resize ALL my pics to make them upload. That's going to take me a bit! I'll get to it when I can and will post them as I can. Sorry!

MW

The LST in Oregon they may have been referring to could be the USS LST 1166. This was a vietnam era (maybe Korean war war era also) LST. She was part of the vision of the amphibious forces museum which has also restored the LCI 713. While the LST was moored at a dockyard, a group of people cut their way into the ship and over a period of i believe several weeks stole of $100K worth copper and other metals. This vandalism nailed the coffin shut on this restoration, making near impossible to recover and restore what was lost.

The other LST may be the USS Sphinx. This was originally LST 963, she was later converted to a landing craft repair ship, the ARL-24 where she was given the name sphinx. She was to become a part of the Dunkirk Historical Lighthouse and Veterans Park Museum, however was sent to the scrapyard when funds couldn't be raised.

I believe there may be a few more in the reserve fleets around the US, but they are more recent models, the Newport class, as well some built in the 50's and 60's. I am not aware of any of them being considered for museums.

The LST in Oregon they may have been referring to could be the USS LST 1166. This was a vietnam era (maybe Korean war war era also) LST. She was part of the vision of the amphibious forces museum which has also restored the LCI 713. While the LST was moored at a dockyard, a group of people cut their way into the ship and over a period of i believe several weeks stole of $100K worth copper and other metals. This vandalism nailed the coffin shut on this restoration, making near impossible to recover and restore what was lost.

The other LST may be the USS Sphinx. This was originally LST 963, she was later converted to a landing craft repair ship, the ARL-24 where she was given the name sphinx. She was to become a part of the Dunkirk Historical Lighthouse and Veterans Park Museum, however was sent to the scrapyard when funds couldn't be raised.

I believe there may be a few more in the reserve fleets around the US, but they are more recent models, the Newport class, as well some built in the 50's and 60's. I am not aware of any of them being considered for museums.

USS LST-325 http://www.lstmemorial.org/history/default.htm

She was in North Africa, Italy and Normandy. Now shes in Evansville Indiana after a full career with the USN and then the Greek Navy. Read her story. I loved the Gators.

Steve Hesson

USS ST. Louis (LKA-116), USS Pensacola (LSD-38), USS Nashville (LPD-13)

USS LST-325 http://www.lstmemorial.org/history/default.htm

She was in North Africa, Italy and Normandy. Now shes in Evansville Indiana after a full career with the USN and then the Greek Navy. Read her story. I loved the Gators.

Steve Hesson

USS ST. Louis (LKA-116), USS Pensacola (LSD-38), USS Nashville (LPD-13)

Yeah, I have been able to tour the 325 twice now. They are doing an amazing job with her. I remember when i took an itnrest in naval history there was hardly any "gator" ship museums. Now there are two lst's, a couple LCI's as well as an LCI© on the west coast and alot more museums have and LCVP or two hanging around than before.

I was lucky to have been able to tour the LSM 45 when she was still part of freedom park in Omaha.

Yeah, I have been able to tour the 325 twice now. They are doing an amazing job with her. I remember when i took an itnrest in naval history there was hardly any "gator" ship museums. Now there are two lst's, a couple LCI's as well as an LCI© on the west coast and alot more museums have and LCVP or two hanging around than before.

I was lucky to have been able to tour the LSM 45 when she was still part of freedom park in Omaha.

I went to High School in Omaha. I left in '73. At that time they only had a Mine Sweeper the Hazzard. I didn't know they had an LCI too. What happened to that?

Steve Hesson

I went to High School in Omaha. I left in '73. At that time they only had a Mine Sweeper the Hazzard. I didn't know they had an LCI too. What happened to that?

Steve Hesson

Not an LCI, but an LSM. She some in the late 90 I believe. The museum and LSM assocation had a dispute and they transferred her to the Future Museum of the Marine on North Carolina. When they couldn't get a site near the water for the museum they abandoned her restoration. She is sitting in NC still, either headed for the breakers or the bottom to be a reef.

Not an LCI, but an LSM. She some in the late 90 I believe. The museum and LSM assocation had a dispute and they transferred her to the Future Museum of the Marine on North Carolina. When they couldn't get a site near the water for the museum they abandoned her restoration. She is sitting in NC still, either headed for the breakers or the bottom to be a reef.
Figures. My Dad was on an LSM, USS LSM 464. He was also on USS Sumner County (LST1148)

Steve Hesson

This is partially correct. The ship in question is the USS Washtenah Country (LST-1166)

More specifics on the dispostion of this ship can be accessed at the Amphibious Forces Memorial Museum website: http://www.amphibiousforces.org/ .

Specifically try http://www.amphibiousforces.org/News/NewsC...1_AFMM_news.PDF (requires a PDF reader)

Sam

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the long delay in posting the resized pics. It took me forever to get it done - not sure I'll even get them all posted tonight.

They have the LST 393 set up in a pretty cool way. They have the bow ramp down and the bow doors opened, and they have built like a front entry way, with interior doors, inside the bow ramp and doors. You go aboard by going from shore across the water and onto a wooden walkway, then onto the bow ramp.

The 393 was a Lake Michigan car ferry after WW2, and for decades the bow doors were all welded shut; I believe entry was via the side cargo hatches. They have signs on the 393 noting that it was not until like 2006 that the bow doors were finally unsealed and opened up again.

post-440-1258595664.jpg

post-440-1258595686.jpg

Right inside the bow doors, right there by where you pay for your admission, is a Jeep. It gives you a sense of the size of the interior of this LST! Just beyond the Jeep is the gift shop. I thought it was a pretty slick way of incorporating a gift shop right into the ship - just build a structure right in the tank deck! Why not! It worked well I thought. Believe me, there was plenty of deck space left over when they were done...

post-440-1258596121.jpg