DC machete

robinb

Anyone have an idea how rare the 18" M1942 machete made by "DC" is? There are two drawn in Cole's book 4 on knives, but I have not seen one for sale ever. The reason I ask, is that I have a chance to buy one in mint condition with scabbard, but the seller and I need some idea as to what they go for. Thanks!

Charlie Flick
Anyone have an idea how rare the 18" M1942 machete made by "DC" is? There are two drawn in Cole's book 4 on knives, but I have not seen one for sale ever. The reason I ask, is that I have a chance to buy one in mint condition with scabbard, but the seller and I need some idea as to what they go for. Thanks!

Robin:

The "DC" marked US M1942 18" machetes are very scarce in my experience. I have a couple in my machete collection and place a high value on them. Very few US collectors know anything about these blades. They were made in Australia for US Forces during WW2. The "DC" refers to the manufacturer's name which was Die Casters Ltd. DC also made machetes and other edged weapons for Australian Armed Forces.

They show up in the USA every now and then, but only rarely. While machetes don't tend to bring much money (as most guys view them as tools rather than weapons) I think a DC USGI machete should easily be valued in the $100-150 range in the condition you describe.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

Robin:

So that other collectors can see what these blades look like I am posting a couple of pics of one of mine which I had taken a while back. The first photo shows the blade markings.

USDC44.jpg

The next pic shows the DC-44 blade on the top. The distinctive cross-hatched style of grips are easily recognizable.

The machete at the bottom is another Australian-made WW2 USGI 18" machete manufactured by Marsden of Sydney, Australia.

AustralianMachetes.jpg

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Greg Robinson
Robin:

So that other collectors can see what these blades look like I am posting a couple of pics of one of mine which I had taken a while back. The first photo shows the blade markings.

The next pic shows the DC-44 blade on the top. The distinctive cross-hatched style of grips are easily recognizable.

The machete at the bottom is another Australian-made WW2 USGI 18" machete manufactured by Marsden of Sydney, Australia.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Charlie

That USMC scabbard is a prize in itelf. Beckwith Mfg Co made those in 1945 and while the US Army version is relatively common the Marine ones are a tough find. I saw one on ebay a few years ago mated with a POS commercially made machete. I emailed the seller and asked her if she'd sell me the scabbard alone but keep the essentially worthless machete. She agreed and it's a prized piece in my collection.

Greg

Thanks guys! That's pretty much what I figured it should be worth. Now if he'll just sell it to me. I've been after it for years.

• 1 month later...
Bank Vault

I found my machete at a estate sale of a Marine Sergeant. The machete itself is rusty but you can still see the maker, its a 1943 or 45 and made by someone with the name collins, and the scabbard is USMC BOYT 44, for 2 bucks, not a bad deal aye?

• 10 months later...

54 weeks ago I started this post about DC made machetes. I'm glad to report that I finally found one yesterday at our local gun show. It's not the one that I was originally after as he wouldn't sell it to me, but it's just about as nice. Came with a plastic 1945 USMC scabbard that's about as nice as I would hope to find.

MVC_007S.JPG

MVC_008S.JPG

One feature that I wasn't aware of was the Broad Arrow marking on one of the handle rivets.

MVC_009S.JPG