Marine wearing cargo net on helmet Marshall Islands

MAS36

USMC_Eniwetok.jpg

a wounded Marine gets help after combat in Eniwetok , Marshall Islands

notice his M1 hemet has the 2" sized cargo net

Greg Robinson

I can't tell if he's wounded or just exhausted after climbing up a net out of a landing craft. Having done that myself I can tell you that it's a tiring climb up those nets with helmet on and carrying gear.

A few Marines wore those helmet nets. General Holland "Howling Mad" Smith is often seen wearing them but he usually wears the nets with a smaller pattern.

Greg

The original cutline on this image was that the Marine had been in combat a number of days and not that he was wounded. The image was taken by a Coast Guard Photographer and the sailors assisting the Marine were Coast Guardsmen.

Here's a photo taken off of eBay which is supposedly captioned as having been taken on Tarawa. This Marine is wearing a standard camo helmet cover with a piece of camouflage (not CARGO) netting over that. This practice wasn't all that uncommon.

Also, it appears that the Marinre being helped over the side may be wearing a Mills belt.

post-545-1179029462.jpg

Is it a camo cover or a burlap covered helmet?

Looking at a blow up view, you could very well be correct. It DOES look like burlap. Good eyes!

Looked at with fresh eyes this morning, I'm going back to my original assessment. The Marine lying in the sand IS wearing a camouflage helmet cover under the netting. There is a bunch of sand and other crud stuck to the very dirty cover , but if you look around the rim of the helmet, you can clearly make out the spots on the camo cover.

craig_pickrall

In the first pic it appears that is two Marines helping the third Marine over the rail. They are wearing P41 HBT utilities.