• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 firebaseb

firebaseb
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,538
  • 168 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 01:52 PM

Hey guys, I picked this fiber container up at a yard sale recently from a 91 year old career Navy vet. Its been packed away in the garage for quite a few years & my guess is that it was used as a creel for his fishing poles. It's marked on the end caps 2.75 IN. ROCKET CONTAINER MK. 4 MOD. 0 660851 It measures 49 inches long by 3 1/4 inches wide. I'm not sure if the rocket that this contained was used on ships / aircraft or both. I've tried to find some decent info on these & have had no luck so far. Any help from the knowledge base here on the boards would be much appreciated. ;)

rocket2.jpg

rocket1.jpg

rocket3.jpg

#2 Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 68
  • 2,621 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 02:45 PM

Hello Firebase:

I think the tube was designed to hold the Navy-developed Mark 4 "Mighty Mouse" unguided, air to air rocket. It was used in the 1950s and was supposed to be capable of knocking down enemy bombers. That was the theory anyway.

Here is a pic I pulled off the web illustrating this rocket.

HTH.

Regards,
Charlie Flick

mighty_mouse.jpg

Edited by Charlie Flick, 01 September 2009 - 08:04 AM.

#3 maskman

maskman
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,894
  • 33 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:17 PM

Hello Firebase:

I think the tube was designed to hold the Navy-developed Mark 4 "Mighty Mouse" unguided, air to air rocket. It was used in the 1950s and was supposed to be capable of knocking down enemy bombers. That was the theory anyway.

Here is a pic I pulled off the web illustrating this rocket.

HTH.

Regards,
Charlie Flick

Posted Image

#4 maskman

maskman
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,894
  • 33 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:25 PM

This is a storage tube for the 2.75 rocket motor which was used by the Navy and the Army. The Navy version was air to ground HE and HEI launched from wing tubes. John McCain launched one on the deck of a carrier. The Army used the on Huey Gunships and Cobras and also were used on L-19 Birddogs for forward air control to spot enemy targets to call in the jets. These were either smoke or white phosphorus.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users