New USMC Patch?

Steve B.

This was sent to me by my uncle, a retired Marine.

I live next to Camp Pendleton so we have probably thousands of retired Marines in town and I still haven't gotten used to seeing some frail old guy who looks about 90 wearing his Retired Marine Hat: I always try to strike up a conversation with them when I can, and hear these tales of ambush on the beach at Iwo and similar stories.. They all seem to fly the Marine flag outside their homes and have there back end of their cars covered with various Marine stickers. No other service has retirees who are so proud of their service as the Marines. Old Navy guys can be seen once in a while wearing ball caps with the ship's name, but that's about it.

Bob-

My uncle also lives in Oceanside, so perhaps you've spoken to him.

He has a USMC sticker and a Purple Heart license plate on his Mercedes, but seems to sport more Mercedes logos than EGAs.

He is a veteran of WWII, Korea & Vietnam, and was promoted to Master Gunnery Sergeant AND Warrant Officer on the same day.

He is still very proud of his service, and rightfully so.

Thanks for giving these guys some attention.

Steve

I'm a member of the Marine Corps League myself, which is mostly vets from WWII-Vietnam, not many younger guys like myself. Nothing better than sitting back with some beers and listening to their old war stories. The nice thing is, I finally have war stories of my own, and they seem to enjoy hearing them just as much as I enjoy hearing theirs. A great group of guys