Army Air Corps KIA Purple Heart!

kriegsmodell

kriegsmodell

Hey Guys,

Does anyone keep the old auction catalogs from FJP Auction Company? Reason I ask ......

Recently picked up this large machine engraved KIA Purple Heart to Corporal Milton Sova. Had a little bit of reasearch with it and have found some on my own. NARA indicates that he enlisted in the Army Air Corps in May of 1942 from New York. Appears as if his records were in the group lost in the 1973 NARA fire. Did get some other information that indicates he was KIA on December 8, 1944.

Trying a bunch of intenet searches and found that FJP Auction Company sold the PH at auction in 2005. Unsure which of the four auctions it was sold from that year. Perhaps in the Spring, Summer, or Fall of 2005 and was possibly Item or Lot #11. Found this information in a message on another military forum dated November 3, 2005 that states in part:

"From FJP Auctions

10 Purple Heart, "Carmen Polito" (160th Inf) $315

11 Purple Heart, "Milton Sova" (Cpl, 461st Ftr Sq) $450

13 Navy Purple Heart "Charles Yeomans (USS Halligan) $575

15 Navy Purple Heart, "G.P. Austin" $125

18 Navajo Nation War Service Medal, 2 bars $800

19 Manhattran Project A-Bomb lapel Pin $75

20 "George Medal", w/document, Capt Brooks, USMC $2600"

It looks like the forum message has been "cut and pasted" from part of the realized auction price lists. Would also seem that there was some information that Stova was assigned to the 461st Fighter Squadron.

If any of our members keep these catalogs and could advise any information from the original listings I would be most appreciative. OR, obviously inrterested in any information on Corporal Sova if anyone has leads. Many thanks in advance .....

post-3151-1251566629.jpg

You should order his IDPF. It will provide his unit and how he died. I would also search the online histories of the squadron. A Corporal assigned to a FS being KIA is somewhat unique. The histories may mention it...

kriegsmodell
You should order his IDPF. It will provide his unit and how he died. I would also search the online histories of the squadron. A Corporal assigned to a FS being KIA is somewhat unique. The histories may mention it...

Thanks Andy, that would be great! I don't think the IDPF request will work out. In the paperwork that came with the medal there was a response from NARA that those records were lost in the 1973 fire.

The "fire" letter came from the National Archives and pertains to his military record. The Army Human Resources Command in VA maintains the Individual Deceased Personnel Files for all WWII KIAs, and their files are completely intact. The IDPF is the best resource for KIAs. It will tell you his unit, manner of death, burial info, next of kin info among many other things. Here is a copy of the letter I send, along w/ the mailing address. I've received over 30 IDPFs for my PH groups from the AHRC. They occasionally send along a bill for $30 or so, sometimes not

US Army Human Resources Command 18 July 2009

ATTN: AHRC-PAO (FOIA)

200 Stovall Street

Alexandria, VA

22332-0400

Gentlemen, I am a researcher seeking information on a US Army soldier killed in WWII under the FOIA. His name was SS G Carl W. Janes ASN 15107381.

I would like to request the Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF) for SSG Janes.

I agree to pay any FOIA fees associated with this request. ________________________

My mailing address:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Thanks Andy, that would be great! I don't think the IDPF request will work out. In the paperwork that came with the medal there was a response from NARA that those records were lost in the 1973 fire.

kriegsmodell

Thanks to all who have responded. Thanks to Andy on the IDPF information. I thought the previous response from NARA made that a dead end. I learned something here for sure!

From our August 2005 catalog:

11. Purple Heart, slot brooch, machine-engraved in small letters “Milton Sova”. With 11 pages of copied Report of Interment. Corporal Sova was killed on 8 December 1944 at San Pablo Strip #2, Leyte, Philippines, when he received bayonet wounds to the head and body while on guard duty. Sova was assigned to the 341st Fighter Squadron, 348th Fighter Group. VF+.

Estimate $200-250

The Japanese attacked the Buri and San Pablo Airfields by parachute assault on the night of 6-7 December. A composite force of service troops was organized to protect the strips, but they encountered strong resistance. Running low on food and ammunition, they went into a perimeter defense around the San Pablo Airfield, remaining there for several days.

nice ! there you go a sweet pacific aircorp KIA by japanese paratroopers !!! how many hearts out there from japanese air assualt? :thumbsup: I was going to pick this one up a few times but waited !!! snooze U Loose!!!!

I picked this up years ago at a flea market in South Hadley, MA around 1990, It had the case and outer shipping box

at that time.

Bill

Very cool! I had a feeling there was an interesting story behind that one...I also should have bought it :( Funny how the totally unique history behind this one was lost on the seller!

kriegsmodell

Guys,

Thanks so much to all who have responded. Mr. Floyd, I am most indebted for you taking the time to dig up the information from your old auction listings. What an amazing story and how facinating. There can't be many out there like this! Can't wait to get the IDPF for it.

I too, passed on this medal several times before taking the leap and purchasing. Sometimes when you take a chance you come out good, other times not so much! This was a good one and I think well worth what I ended up paying. When I bought it it was complete with two line case, ribbon bar, and lapel pin. The outer shipping box was not included. Again thanks to all .....

• 7 years later...

One of the Purple Heart on the auction is to Charles Yeomans KIA on the USS Halligan. Does anyone have this PH? If so please contact me. He was from Allendale, NJ and I am researching him from my next book.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

If anyone happens to be familiar with the whereabouts of the Milton Sova medal pictured above - it is my great uncle! Please message me, I would love to track it down and repurchase it for my family. I spoke to the original poster on this thread and it appears to have been resold years ago.