• Please log in to reply
219 replies to this topic

#176 williamsmilitaryrelics

williamsmilitaryrelics
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,240
  • 378 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 07:48 AM

They are the repro set from the 70's, I had a doubt when I first saw the dark blue one but it's more likely an effect from the camera.
Will

#177 Dirk

Dirk

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 171
  • 3,195 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:23 PM

I think the question of originally for this set is well answered above. There are only a few collectors out there who have real ones (sadly I am not one....yet)....and Leatherneck is right about knowing what to look for...therefore I look forward to the new EGA book from one of our members. I think the next thing to find in the Archives will be some type of official record of money allocated to buy these from a local producer...given what I've come across in the National archives already I wouldn't be surprised if someday somebody finds that for us. I've found records of the detachment buying things off the local economy such as bulk liqueur and other supplies...so why not diamonds.....

Lastly the sellers use of dates in his photo...they are a strange mix of Marine involvement in China dates...getting some right but leaving others out ...also noted the mythical green diamond the seller has included.

Edited by Dirk, 19 October 2011 - 03:32 PM.

#178 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,540 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 05:13 AM

For the life of me, I do not understand why anyone would by "mrmac" repro's to begin with. Nonetheless, he has rolled out another new EGA repro. This are being called WW1 emblems, WRONG, they are copies of the WW2 era issue emblems, and the claim is they are "sterling silver with a heavy 24kt gold plate". Would someonme explain to me why them would buy these? After all a set of guilt period emblem can be had today for less... I will never understand :blink:

This is a museum quality reproduction of a US Marine Corp Enlisted EGA set made in sterling silver with a heavy 24kt gold plate. WWI insignia is very hard to find. Here is an excellent example of one of this insignia, with sterling hallmark, that is affordable until a real one comes along.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item56469f7a8f

Attached Images

• __KGrHqUOKjME6VC7_G8bBOnf1BNbK___60_35.jpg

#179 usmcaviator

usmcaviator
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,315
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:50 AM

Darrell,
Great post (above) on NCHS (George Peterson's) junk. He also has a new WW1 repo hat device.
(BROKEN LINK REMOVED)

What bugs me, is he doesnt mark them as repo, and they get picked up by novices as the real deal, or picked up by those that age them and re-sell them as "well worn" or "old". He has claimed to me that he makes them with just enough low quality that anyone can tell they are fake. I do not agree. These are marked with maker's marks and "sterling", etc. I know he has them made in some foreign country's sweat shop.

I dont think anyone has posted clear pics of his product. Here are his WW2 NS Meyers. They have melted looking details and poor craftsmanship. The silver portions also give a "frosty" looking appearance. The officer gooney bird hat device that is on E-bay this week resembles the NCHS product.
(BROKEN LINKS REMOVED)

These new additions are a continuation of a breed of fakes that all EGA collectors need to know about.

Maybe an administrator can start a thread on just NCHS's fakes??

S/F,
Mike

Edited by Brig, 12 May 2014 - 05:37 PM.

#180 kanemono

kanemono
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,487
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:54 PM

The pieces posted by Mike have been cast by using the "lost wax" casting method. A rubber mold is made of the original EGA. Once the mold is finished, molten wax is poured or injected into it. This wax copy of the original model is removed from the mold. The model-maker may reuse the mold to make multiple copies, limited only by the durability of the mold. Each wax copy is then "chased": a heated metal tool is used to rub out the marks that show the parting line or flashing where the pieces of the mold came together. The wax is dressed to hide any imperfections. You can see the mold marks on the reverse of the fake EGA. The wax now looks like the finished piece but is smaller than the original because of the wax shrinking as it cools. The wax copy is “sprued” with a treelike structure of wax that will eventually provide paths for molten casting material to flow and air to escape. A dozen or more EGA waxes can be attached to this wax tree. The wax tree is covered with a high temperature plaster. The plaster coated "tree" is placed in a kiln, whose heat melts the wax and it runs out of the plaster mold Now all that remains of the original wax tree of EGA’s is the negative space, formerly occupied by the wax, inside the plaster mold. The feeder and vent tubes are also hollow. Metal is melted in a crucible in a furnace, then poured carefully into the plaster mold. When cooled the metal EGA’s are cut from the tree. Each piece is polished then aged with chemicals. The finished piece may be 10% to 15% smaller than the original EGA. There is a loss of detail in the finished piece and what were sharp edges around feathers etc. are now “mushey”. If you look you can see the marks at the edges from the wax being melted and trimmed. Sorry to run on with the explanation but if you know the fake was made you are much better equipped to tell that it is a fake.
Dick

#181 Popo367

Popo367
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,633
  • 484 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:18 PM

Mike,
This badboy is listed on EBAY and it is exactly like the the repro you posted.....last checked 600 bucks.....

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1423.l2649

Enrique

#182 Popo367

Popo367
  • Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:20 PM

front side....

Attached Images

• fake_gooney2.jpg
  • fake_gooney1.jpg

#183 Popo367

Popo367
  • Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:23 PM

front side

Attached Images

• ffake_gooney3.jpg
  • ffake_gooney3.jpg

#184 normaninvasion

normaninvasion
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,253
  • 2,433 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:02 AM

What gets me about these NCHS fakes is that with a little age and added to a period uniform someone could get really hosed. I dont even know what to think about the Ronson and Pasq fakes, pretty scary.

#185 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,540 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:24 AM

Has been a long while since viewing one of these fakes... They were coming to ebau w/ some regulartity a few years back, recognized it immediately. However did not recognize the seller of these until looking back at the ebay user ID - bingo! The seller has a new name - but selling the same model line of fakes for years under the name "thepengiun" Buyer beware!
http://www.ebay.com/...=item4ab0ab867c

Attached Images

• __KGrHqF__iEE6G3fC_8bBOvE_6Chgw__60_3.jpg
  • __KGrHqN__lEE6p1kGsrYBOvE_7kUPQ__60_3.jpg

#186 skipproo1

skipproo1
  • Members
    • Member ID: 64,565
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:47 PM

I have never seen one of these without an anchor.

Attached Images

• a.jpg
  • b.jpg

Edited by skipproo1, 06 December 2011 - 09:09 PM.

#187 Jack's Son

Jack's Son

Deceased

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 8,213
  • 19,660 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:01 PM

It's not USMC, I've looked on the web and don't find anything like it. It's rather cheaply made and not old enough to be an antique pin from colonial days.
I'm lost now ?? :think:

#188 skipproo1

skipproo1
  • Members
    • Member ID: 64,565
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:08 PM

It's not USMC, I've looked on the web and don't find anything like it. It's rather cheaply made and not old enough to be an antique pin from colonial days.
I'm lost now ?? :think:

Yes I ran with the same problem, even in the colonial days you see them with an anchor. I searched the net up and down. Have no idea.

skip

#189 shrapneldude

shrapneldude
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,424
  • 8,157 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:00 AM

I hope one of that "Heavy Hitter" EGA guys comments here, but I recall seeing emblems of this design listed on eBay, usually in conjunction with other similarly made designs, listed as rare examples or some such, but the consensus among the experts was they were all repro / fantasy pieces. I have not seen that particular design in any other context except as it being sold as an original and that claim being described as dishonest.

#190 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,846 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:55 AM

http://www.usmilitar...?showtopic=8507

#191 Jack's Son

Jack's Son

Deceased

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 8,213
  • 19,660 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 08:32 AM

Do we have a difinitive ?

#192 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 21,846 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:29 AM

More junk on eBay bringing insane amounts...the seller doesn't seem to know the reals from fakes in the collection, seems to have just bought a collection...

I emailed the seller

Edited by Brig, 12 June 2012 - 01:22 PM.

#193 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 21,846 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:28 PM

I'm stunned...finally a seller with integrity! The seller replied that they never knowingly sell fake items as an antiquities dealer, and has removed the auctions and notified the bidders, providing them with a link to this thread so they can learn to avoid fakes! Gets my nomination for dealer of the week.

#194 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,540 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

The seller may - or may not know these emblems are repro's, as they do not state period original, or repro... Buyer beware! These are repro's!

http://cgi.ebay.com/...ME:B:SS:US:1123

$(KGrHqR,!h4FDiuI0)K6BQ9d!pD82g~~60_57.jpg $(KGrHqR,!lQFCy5BELKrBQ9d!r,M1g~~60_57.jpg

#195 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,540 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

... these are the real deal0016-horz.jpg

#196 normaninvasion

normaninvasion
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,253
  • 2,433 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

Yes!!! Garbage is right, no detail no age. The good set you posted are fantastic.

#197 dutchbarge

dutchbarge
  • Members
    • Member ID: 27,187
  • 248 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:32 AM

http://www.ebay.com/...07#ht_44wt_1362

Am I mistaken, or does the last photo show the remains of a casting seam mostly buffed out?  Cheers, Bill

#198 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 21,846 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:36 AM

Images could be better, but looks like a legit pair that were highly polished/shined

#199 dutchbarge

dutchbarge
  • Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:17 PM

Definitely need better photos, but I still say that the bulges descending from the anchor shanks look like casting slag. Particularly visible in phot 3, the dark drips below the shanks. Joe *************** reproduces this exact style of EGA and he casts them with the seam being the underside of the anchor shank.
Cheers, Bill

#200 dutchbarge

dutchbarge
  • Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 12:27 PM

http://www.1903.com/...ronze-p196.html

Here are reproduction EGAs.....note the slag descending from the anchor shaft. Also note the style of c catch which is identical to the pair on eBay. Here are a set of legits from one of my uniforms. Notice the style of c catch on these. Compare it with the catch on the eBay and repro website above. Cheers, Bill

Attached Images

• phpqBCgV5PM.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users