Fantasy, Repro, & Counterfeit EGA Reference Thread

cbuehler

jeremiahcable

Sad to say but I agree with Darrell. Would you mind if we used the images for a reference on current reproductions?

Hi Guys,

thanks for the information. I kinda' had that feeling that they might not be original. I thought that if they were enlisted insignia that they should have been the screw post type, but like you, I thought maybe they were some variation.

Oh well, I can't complain too much, we all get burned at some time, and, I am only out 10 bucks so i can live with it.

Please, feel free to post them in the Repro Reference section.

Thanks

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...
usmcaviator

The shield is missing its suspension prongs and the EGA is the wrong type, it needs the loop backed EGA. Probably a Bannerman's put together.

Mike

teufelhunde.ret

... as well as the other pre CW cap badge the seller is offering this week. Just more of the stokes - bannerman - kirkland restrikes

Hello Robert,

Darrell and Mike are 100% correct on this item. I placed a low bid on it as a filler to my collection... I don't have an original, and don't expect to find one.

Good job on your contributions to this Forum. 

Regards,

Chuck

Ebay cancelled/removed the auction after it sold. The sale is null and void, and the seller has to create a new auction for this item.

It happened to one of my EGA's, because someone susposedly hack into another ebayers account and placed an erroneous bid.

S/F,

Chuck

teufelhunde.ret
C. Roelens said:
Ebay cancelled/removed the auction after it sold. The sale is null and void, and the seller has to create a new auction for this item.

It happened to one of my EGA's, because someone susposedly hack into another ebayers account and placed an erroneous bid.

S/F,

Chuck

Thats amazing... I checked right after it closed How does this sort of thing happen?

Hello Darrell,

I'm not sure what's going on, but, I'm seeing it happen quite often lately, and it seems to be with high-dollar USMC items.

If you look up the item number (110243368152) it will tell you that the listing is unavailabe, and the auction was cancelled.

I talked with Tim Gordon on another matter over the weekend. I'll contact him again to see if he'll share some information.

S/F,

Chuck

usmcaviator

That happened to one of my auctions, a dress blue hat in its original carrying case. Nothing special. It was bid past $1000. It also happened to a 1920's officer EGA about a month ago. It is definately odd that it is happening to high dollar USMC, somone is hacking into accounts out there and is specifically targeting USMC items. Very strange, and what is even weirder, is that it takes two bidders to drive a price high. Are two hacked accounts being used? Otherwise, someone could shill bid using a hacked account and it may never get caught, unless reported by the owner. Makes you wonder on some of the high dollar stuff that seems a bit "out there".

Mike

robert60446

Price manipulations are old as eBay is. I have my account hacked once (it happened when I was not using eBay for few months in the row). But you don’t need to hijack account to make price “pumping” tricks. It always brings my attention if someone with 0 or 1 point feedback is bidding like crazy on some “common” items. In situation like this it is good to check other items offered by seller and see if the same “anxious” bidder is involved in price pumping at other auctions.

Guest george62

Hi I'am new here and I have been looking on the internet trying to find out something about this plate and I came across this forum so I'am hoping someone will know what I have.I don't exactly know what it is. I think it might be something to do with a hat. It says US Marine Corps Octagon Plate 1807. There is a eagle and he has something in his mouth. There are also some drums and the word Fortitudine and Marines is written on the bottom.

This is what it says on the yellow card. This cap devise is listed in the 1807 Marine Corps Uniform Regulations as the Octagon Plate. Although a square plate bearing the same design was in the possesion of the Smithsoian Institute it was not authenticated unitl 1959. In the summer of that year workers at Fort Tomkins NY unearthed parts of two samples with the corners clipped to produce an octagon shape. Dates of occupancy of Fort Tomkins and the historical knowledge of a barracks for naval personnel ashore, precisely date this design

In the publication American Military Insignia 1800-1851 the Smithsonian states that any samples of this plate outside the National Museum collections should be considered with caution. Advanced collectors doubt that any complete authentic example survives. The replica above is numbered 165 of 1000 pieces privately struck in 1978 and hand detailed to simulate the age and condition of a original.

Would anybody know who might of made this ? Any help will be appreciated

post-3067-1209348221.jpg

post-3067-1209348246.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

The information you provide is accurate. Further there is some correspondence that has attributed this hat plate to the Corps as early as 1804. It was apparently worn thru the War of 1812 and its use beyond that period is unclear, until a new hat plate design for enlisted hats in 1834.

My recollection is, these copies were sold by the Marine Corps Association. I'm sure Bobgee may correct me if my recollection is wrong. Many of course have escaped the plastic case and taken on a life of their own. I seem to recall a number of years ago a die stamp reportedly from actual production of these was sold on ebay... Thats all I can add. s/f Darrell

Guest george62
The information you provide is accurate. Further there is some correspondence that has attributed this hat plate to the Corps as early as 1804. It was apparently worn thru the War of 1812 and its use beyond that period is unclear, until a new hat plate design for enlisted hats in 1834.

My recollection is, these copies were sold by the Marine Corps Association. I'm sure Bobgee may correct me if my recollection is wrong. Many of course have escaped the plastic case and taken on a life of their own. I seem to recall a number of years ago a die stamp reportedly from actual production of these was sold on ebay... Thats all I can add. s/f Darrell

What is inaccurate? I wrote down what was on the yellow card that is incased in the plastic. I picked this up at a sale and I don't know anything about military this is not my expertise. I was wanting to sell it on ebay but I needed to know a little about what I was talking about. Do you know if it is collectable or worth anything as it says it is 165 of 1000. It must be rare. Thanks for any help.

What is inaccurate?

You misread that reply: he said "The information you provide is accurate."

As for value. Well even reproductions of some items can have a lot of value, but when it's something produced in perhaps very small quantities there may not be enough sales to determine any sort of "normal" market value. This may one of those things: just list it with a starting price of perhaps what you paid and then see where it goes from there.

Guest george62

So sorry I did misread it. I thought it read inaccurate.Please accept my apology. Thank you both for any help.

usmcraidergirl

If I were you, just start it at a reasonable starting bid of say $9.99 and let it run for 7 days. It seems like you have the right information about it for those interested to be able to find it.

• 3 weeks later...
teufelhunde.ret

Friends, providing an alert to a new counterfeit EGA which recently appeared on ebay recently: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...y0%3D%26fvi%3D1 and is pictured below. We have discussed this sellers products before on this site. Up to now mrmac has at least given everyone a heads up that his products are indeed repro, with this one he has stepped into the gray area, that being "you figure it out" I suppose in fairness, one might say he placed a disclaimer. I'm not inclined to agree, as he has been pumping out fantasy and repro EGA's for years AND KNOWS THE DIFFERENCE.

As seen this is an accurately stamped counterfeit of the Meyer series cap emblems of 1920 produced for private purchase and the front and reverse does maintain the production character of the series, however the hallmark does not belong on this emblem... Further, while there are known EGA's with the cross bar depicted for mounting the screw post, I've (for one) have simply never seen one used on a Meyer emblem and if my fading memory is correct, only on Gaunt emblems.

bd55_1.jpg

Depicted below are the two known hallmarks (that I am aware of) for the emblem and period in question... These are from my collection. I think he has simply ran out of buyers whom will buy this repro stuff and crossed over into period counterfeits. For those who would like to see on what that style of hallmark is typically used on, here is a thread depicting many Meyer hallmarks: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...st&p=111782

post_376_1171725722.jpg

S/F Darrell