Early Doughboys Photo?

unterhund

unterhund

This image was scanned from a book called "Trench Warfare," by Stephen Bull. The author is described as "curator of Military History and Archaeology at the Museum of Lancashire in the United Kingdom." He has captioned the photo "the first American troops to arrive in England, 1917."

post-682-1178290578.jpg

What I find curious as a novice collector is the appearance in the photo of SpanAm era canteens, and what appear to be Krag rifles. I imagine that National guard units may have been so equipped at this time, but I doubt that they would be the "first American troops to arrive."

I assume the caption to be accurate, based on the author's credentials. But the setting as described, with the gear shown, seems discordant. The soldiers appear to be wearing the right uniforms for that date, but the rifles, canteens, and even the cartridge belts seem anachronistic.

Any thoughts?

New Romantic

When America entered the Great War in 1917 there was a shortage of m1903 Rifles and M1910 equipment. It was not uncommon for many units to be issued the Krags and older accouterments. I've seen another photo, possibly this same unit marching down London's Picadilly armed with Krag rifles and wearing the M1903 cartridge belts with M1903 suspenders and the haversack or canteen slung across their bodies ( they were wearing a leather strap and I could not see what it was for).