3 replies to this topic

#1 Sergeant Brown

Sergeant Brown
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,885
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:38 AM

Hi Guyís,

This I bought together with a WW2 USMC HBT 1941.

Itís a USMC 1219c2 knife Camillus, NY, USMC, so it says on the guard of the knife.

With the information I could find on the forum I can date it back from 1944 until 1974.
Because;
-In 1944, the government specification for these knives was changed moving the markings to the guard, according to Greg Robinson.
-Until February 1974 when the N.Y. was dropped from the marking line, according to Bayonetman.

On the leather scabbard I canít find any markings or information.

Because I bought the knife with the jacket, I may assume this would be a WW2 version, or a post war one?
I know I must be careful saying this, because you never the hole story/ truth.

And I donít know the guy how sold the jacket and the knife to me. But he told my he got it from a Veteran. (Nice selling story, but I canít confirm it.)

Some outstanding features which attracted my attentions are the leather wristband and the shaved handle/ hilt.

Perhaps some of you, which have much more information and knowledge then I do, could tell me a better date on this knife?

And have you seen this before with the leather wristband and shaved handle/ hilt?

Thanks,

Mark

Attached Images

• DSC01392.JPG
  • DSC01397.JPG
  • DSC01412.JPG
  • DSC01398.JPG
  • DSC01407.JPG

#2 Sergeant Brown

Sergeant Brown
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,885
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:41 AM

some pictures from the leather scabbard

Attached Images

• DSC01409.JPG
  • DSC01410.JPG

#3 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 33,596 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:23 AM

Just my thoughts.
Maybe some modified this for a dive knife.The grip being shaved would lay flatter in hand and less prone to slipping.The addition of the wrist strap also would be a item used in diving so no to drop or loose the knife.The scabbard has longer slots cut in the loop and this would enable a wider belt(like a diving belt) to be used.

RON

#4 bayonetman

bayonetman

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 66
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:39 AM

Have no idea about the modifications, but the markings were only used in 1944-45.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users