WWII original Nose Art Photos TONS OF THEM!!!!

OD MAN

Guys I hit the jack pot today. My neighboor said she had some WWII photos in India she got from a friend and told me I can come pick them up. Well I couldn't believe when I opened up the envelope....

:D

2r5cny9.jpg

1584jg3.jpg

e8akwx.jpg

2lo5bbc.jpg

35auf6p.jpg

dyveon.jpg

Last two

29xztc6.jpg

Also, I tried to find the correct size but it seems they may be a wee bit small. If anyone wants an enlargment let me know. ;)

Lots of those look like pix of Navy PB4Y Privateers with nose art. Navy birds weren't as prolific as Air Force types with nose art, but some still had it! Very nice collection of photos! :thumbsup:

What a great collection: if you Google those aircraft names you can find some histories. "Punkie" shows up quite a bit including this reference:

"Nose art photo of Navy PB4Y-2 Privateer "Punkie." This aircraft served with Navy Patrol Bombing (VPB) 109 during World War II Bureau Number 59501. The Photo appears to have some fading on the left. This aircraft appears in my book, "The Reluctant Raiders"..." Contributed by Alan Carey [email protected]"

Treat these nicely: based on my past experience selling small B-29 nose art photos, I'd value this set at at least $300 and maybe more because of those Navy PBY4 photos.

Salvage Sailor

You've come into a nice collection of USN Privateer, B-29 Superfortress and B-24 Liberator photos. Many of them have camel 'hump' mission decals. By figuring out which BG/Squadron had the Cobra emblem, you'll identify many of the B-29s. Also, on some of the B-24 shots you can make out the pilots name & rank below the cockpit window.

Plenty of info to go on here to identify the groups, and bases where these photos were taken.

What a great collection: if you Google those aircraft names you can find some histories. "Punkie" shows up quite a bit including this reference:

"Nose art photo of Navy PB4Y-2 Privateer "Punkie." This aircraft served with Navy Patrol Bombing (VPB) 109 during World War II Bureau Number 59501. The Photo appears to have some fading on the left. This aircraft appears in my book, "The Reluctant Raiders"..." Contributed by Alan Carey [email protected]"

Treat these nicely: based on my past experience selling small B-29 nose art photos, I'd value this set at at least $300 and maybe more because of those Navy PBY4 photos.

I will treat them very nicely, thanks eveyrone for your info and comments! :thumbsup:

Salvage Sailor
Guys I hit the jack pot today. My neighboor said she had some WWII photos in India she got from a friend and told me I can come pick them up. Well I couldn't believe when I opened up the envelope....

:D

Last two

29xztc6.jpg

The last photo of the B-29's with the 'square O' on the tails is the 29th Bombardment Group (Heavy), 20th Air Force, stationed in Guam.

29th bomb group website

The last photo of the B-29's with the 'square O' on the tails is the 29th Bombardment Group (Heavy), 20th Air Force, stationed in Guam.

29th bomb group website

Awesome, thank you! I don't think I am going to sell these, its about time I start collecting something different for a change.

Also the U.S.S. Comfort was a hospital ship that was attacked by a Kamikaze, hence the name "USS Comfort's Revenge"

2e5k229.jpg

2qxyrft.jpg

Salvage Sailor

Here ya go.....

Many of those B-29's belonged to the 678th Bombardment Squadron, 444th Bombardment Group (Heavy), Dudkundi, India

Check out their website, many photos of the bombers to match up to yours

678th Bombardment Squadron

Guys I am now very confused. On Webshots.com a guy has an albums of B-29 nose art that was posted years ago, and I found the EXACT SAME photo of "Mis-Chief-Maker". How can that be? Do you think my photos are actually copies?

From Webshots 68893518VrUyqT_th.jpg

Heres the LINK

Guys I am now very confused. On Webshots.com a guy has an albums of B-29 nose art that was posted years ago, and I found the EXACT SAME photo of "Mis-Chief-Maker". How can that be? Do you think my photos are actually copies?

Heres the LINK

They made multiple copies of these prints and gave sets to squadron members. They are still original wartime photos.

Kurt

Great finds! You are very lucky! It is hard to tell some of the names on the planes. Would you mind posting the names of some of the harder to read ones? Congrats on some awesome pictures!....Kat

Heres the LINK

Look at the photo(s) through your strongest magnifying glass or scan one at something like 400% magnification. If it's a print and not a photo you will be able to see the half-tone dots, but if it's a print made from the original negative you will not see the dots in and in fact when you magnify it you should be able to see some more detail.

I had an album of WWII photos from a CBI squadron and found the same photos elsewhere online: each set was photos made from the original negatives and no matter how many photographs you make from the negative, each is an original photo, not a copy. I am sure that when guys had their film processed it was easy to order multiple prints of each image and I'm sure some guys made money doing that.

To give an example of the difference between a photo printed from a negative and a photo copied and printed on a printing press, I scanned a photo from a book and enlarged it 300% and then did a screen capture of one of the LIFE/Google archive photos and enlarged that 300%. The enlarged photo will start to sow the film grain, but the printed version's dots are very evident:

post-214-1232822213.jpg

post-214-1232822617.jpg

OD MAN, great set of photos. In the very first set of 6 photos you posted there appears to be a plane named Dream Girl. Is there any way of getting a close up of that picture. I have an A-2 flight jacket with a B-29 and the name Dream Girl painted on the back. I wonder if it could be the same plane. Thanks Jon

Cobrahistorian

Nose art is absolutely fascinating. Any opportunity to further document the thousands of named airplanes that flew during WWII is a blessing! Congrats on a spectacular find!

Jon

OD MAN, great set of photos. In the very first set of 6 photos you posted there appears to be a plane named Dream Girl. Is there any way of getting a close up of that picture. I have an A-2 flight jacket with a B-29 and the name Dream Girl painted on the back. I wonder if it could be the same plane. Thanks Jon

Sure thing let me start waking up and a will do it in an hour or so. Cutiger: I will also post closeups of the harder to read ones.

Thanks everyone for looking, my neighboor said the guy she got these from may have other photos, but we will see.

Mose closeups:

2lo4w9d.jpg

The caption says:

"Ive had it before

and want some more so

COME AND GET IT...

WHOS NEXT?!" :blushing:

25j8her.jpg