SF Major, 46th Co. Thailand.

Andrei

Hi all,

I won on eBay - you know, this wonderful site where you can buy almost everything you need and you dont need - this ERDL jungle jacket that belonged to Major William Williams, 46th SF Co., Thailand.

post-467-1249908072.jpg

As you can see, the USA tape and the parachutist wings were missing.

I had already a loose USA tape, thanks to Gil B.

This is very jacket he is wearing on the picture. The ghost of the parawings is quite large and could have been for a senior or master level. But unfortunately the collar is masking the wings.

I sent an email to Steve Sherman of Special Forces Books to see if he could help me but got no answer yet.

Major Williams have been awarded the SF Thai parachutist wings, novice level in 1973.

My question is, could someone here have access to informations about Mjr Williams parachutist qualification level ?

I would like to restore this jacket.

post-467-1249908710.jpg

Close up of the right chest pocket. You can see that is the same jacket by checking the matching pattern of the camo.

post-467-1249908813.jpg

The external edge of the CIB is frayed, you can see it clearly on the original scan of the picture. And it is still frayed the same way on my jacket. Jacket that I got from a Thai eBayer.

Firstly, love the uniform :thumbsup:

It does not get better than that!

It's awesome mate :w00t:

I got a uniform that is IDed to Major Lee Dunlap from Thailand also.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=44750

Your best bet for finding out any information as to someone's parachute qualification is the copies of unit Special Orders which were be used to announce officially a change to ones status. Such as the awarding of medals and badges.

Note that the 5th SFG(A) Special Order number 195 of 1970, shown below shows both Senior and Master Para awards as well as the CMB.

For the record, none of the CMB's listed below are in Sherman's CIB, CMB and VNJW listing.

The best bet for finding copies of 46th SF Company Special Orders is of course Sherman. But unfortunately I will be surprised if you get much help from him.

I once asked him if he could help supply the service number of a deceased SF trooper so that I could write to the NARA and I didn't even get a reply to my email.

BTW If I had to guess on Major Williams I would say that he has Master Blaster Wings. All my SF Major uniforms have them.

IMGwm.jpg

I got a uniform that is IDed to Major Lee Dunlap from Thailand also.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=44750

The best bet for finding this out is of course Sherman. But unfortunately I will be surprised if you get much help.

I have asked him if he could help supply the service number of a deceased SF trooper so that I could right to the NARA and I didn't even get a reply to my email.

BTW If I had to guess on Major Williams I would say that he has Master Blaster Wings. All my Major uniforms have them.

Thanks for your comments !

I did not see Dunlap's jacket post. Very nice one too ! Post War items are cool when IDed.

In the past Steve Sherman answered to some of my requests and helped me IDing a SF officer.

The ghost is clearly the size of a master blaster or senior para but I would like to make no mistake.

But unfortunately I will be surprised if you get much help from him.

I once asked him if he could help supply the service number of a deceased SF trooper so that I could right to the NARA and I didn't even get a reply to my email.

Hmm...strange :blink:

I have always got answer for my questions...even Sherman forwarded my mail to veteran and then i swapped few mails with veteran directly.

Mikko

Hmm...strange :blink:

I have always got answer for my questions...even Sherman forwarded my mail to veteran and then i swapped few mails with veteran directly.

Mikko

Steve helped twice in the past. I have the jacket of the officer who replaced him in-country. Found in a ragmill of Northern Paris 25 years ago... incredible, uh ?

Maybe I just asked at the wrong time.

Sherman did contact Bill Mathieson for me.

Maybe I should ask again.

BTW I have just seen that Major WD Williams served with MACV SOG CCN as a CAPT in 1968.

His CIB isn't listed so he might have been awarded that somewhere other than SF.

IMGwm.jpg

It's interesting that the orders show a 1LT being awarded Master Parachutist wings. I would imagine he had prior enlisted service or did SF guys jump so much that a junior officer might have actually earned that high an award?

It's interesting that the orders show a 1LT being awarded Master Parachutist wings. I would imagine he had prior enlisted service or did SF guys jump so much that a junior officer might have actually earned that high an award?

Thats a bloody good question mate :think:

Lt Fabian was an advisor to the Ranger Company of Det B-52.

To answer you question I guess it's a little of column A and a little bit of column B.

If an officer was promoted from the ranks he might earn master blaster as an LT or even have it at the time of his promotion.

Also if an officer is given an assignment to a MIKE Force Training unit he might get the required amount of jumps very quickly as they rotated MIKE Force companies through para training.

It just depended on the individual.

I have the uniform and paperwork of a Master SGT that spent about 15 years in SF. His first VN tour was in 1963 and his last was in 1970. He was SF all the way and he retired with basic para. I guess he didn't like to parachute. :think:

• 8 years later...

According to Steve Sherman's Who's Who In Special Forces in Thailand (part I), Maj William D. Williams was S-5 beginning in 72 (day and month not listed). There is no information regarding award of US jump wings, but Part II has indicates the award of Thai Novice Jump wings as well as SFA/SOA chapter/number