• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Got da Penny

Got da Penny
  • Members
    • Member ID: 633
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:30 PM

I went to a huge auction yesterday with a bunch of military items.. *yes, i got outbid BIG TIME*.. but was able to get a few choice items..

I have looked thru GI by enjames and Doughboy to GI and didnt find this pouch.
did i miss it??

If any member can tell me what this is.. It would be greatly appreciated.
There is no Date or MM's on it.. just some numbers

Carey

MVC_009F.JPG

MVC_010F.JPG

#2 Got da Penny

Got da Penny
  • Members
    • Member ID: 633
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:31 PM

MVC_011F.JPG

MVC_012F.JPG

#3 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 26,828 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:51 PM

No idea, but I'll bet Craig's got 10 of them in his collection plus a copy of the original instructions on how to use it :)

#4 New Romantic

New Romantic
  • Members
    • Member ID: 599
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:58 PM

That's the M1916 general purpose pouch- but it also goes by various names- squad leader pouch, pouch for small articles. It was meant to be worn on the haversack under the meatcan pouch in place of the intrenching tool. One man in a squad would use the pouch which would carry various small supplies which could be easily acessed. This would include first aid items such as adhesive tape, footpowder, and also a sewing kit.

Check out this link, if you can read French-
http://perso.orange....resentation.htm
That page also has a photo of the pouch being worn on a belt

#5 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
  • 26,828 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 03:04 PM

That's the M1916 general purpose pouch- but it also goes by various names- squad leader pouch, pouch for small articles. It was meant to be worn on the haversack under the meatcan pouch in place of the intrenching tool. One man in a squad would use the pouch which would carry various small supplies which could be easily acessed. This would include first aid items such as adhesive tape, footpowder, and also a sewing kit.

Check out this link, if you can read French-
http://perso.orange....resentation.htm
That page also has a photo of the pouch being worn on a belt

Thanks for that link - merci. And there is a photo of one in this forum post:
http://www.usmilitar...d...ost&p=10285

#6 New Romantic

New Romantic
  • Members
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 30 April 2007 - 03:12 PM

Thanks for that link - merci. And there is a photo of one in this forum post:
http://www.usmilitar...d...ost&p=10285

Ah yes, I remembered Artu had posted his pouch before. I forgot to mention that this pouch is from WWI and are found dated 1918. However I think I may have seen a 1917 pouch several years ago on eBay.

The date can be found either inside the pouch flap or on the back at the top of the pouch under the web strap.

Edited by Morals and Decadence, 30 April 2007 - 03:12 PM.

#7 artu44

artu44

MODERATOR EMERITUS

• Members
    • Member ID: 67
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 04:49 AM

Yes Frankie, I posted these french site pics dozen times. I copied the way to attach this pouch to a belt from one of them. Correctly the 1916 GP pouch should be hooked on the haversack below the meat can, but doughboys found more useful to secure it on the upper belt grommets above the f.a. pouch. Take a look at that pic.

#8 New Romantic

New Romantic
  • Members
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 05:15 AM

Webcat had written some excellent articles on this pouch on the other forums several years ago.

Of all the WWI items this one is probably most often misidentified. I've seen it refered to as a Penderson Device pouch, BAR magazine pouch, and also a pouch for an experimental 20 round magazine for the M1903 Springfield. Ebay is a great place to see these eroneous indentifications.

#9 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
  • 26,828 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 06:01 AM

Webcat had written some excellent articles on this pouch on the other forums several years ago.

Of all the WWI items this one is probably most often misidentified. I've seen it refered to as a Penderson Device pouch, BAR magazine pouch, and also a pouch for an experimental 20 round magazine for the M1903 Springfield. Ebay is a great place to see these eroneous indentifications.

How much do these sell for?

#10 artu44

artu44

MODERATOR EMERITUS

• Members
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:14 AM

How much do these sell for?

Real low. Often you can get them on ebay at 9.99$ but sometimes the seller who doesn't know this item offer it in 20$ figure.

#11 New Romantic

New Romantic
  • Members
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 04:13 AM

There is currently an eBay auction which says this is a "grenade pouch", which is the first time I've seen it id'd as such and a good example of how this pouch is often misidentified.

Also this is a light olive green pouch made by RIA in 1917. I posted it's photo's below for future reference. Too bad this pouch isn't minty, it would be nice if it wasn't soiled.

Attached Images

• 417ww1pouch1.jpg
  • 417ww1pouch2.jpg
  • 417ww1pouch3.jpg
  • 417ww1pouch4.jpg

#12 BIGJOE

BIGJOE
  • Members
    • Member ID: 420
  • 262 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 02:41 AM

i have seen a few this side of the pond for very low prices..5 ..

#13 artu44

artu44

MODERATOR EMERITUS

• Members
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 08:22 AM

Mine is mint unissued but too bad is marked K.T. Co. 8 - 1918. I got it three years ago for 23.29$. You can consider it overpaid but I badly wanted it.

#14 thunderw21

thunderw21
  • Members
    • Member ID: 490
  • 269 posts

Posted 23 May 2007 - 02:05 PM

Here's mine that I recently picked up. Marked "Powers-1918". It is mint except for a civilian massacre job to the attachement strap. This one has lime green thread used in its construction.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/thunderw21/DSCF0926.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b367/thunderw21/DSCF0927.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users