RRA227 Finds

RRA227

Some of the stuff I got today. The 13 rounds of ammo are 45-70. A mix of commerical and military. It was $14 for them. The magazine is dated 1944. Rich A.

Hellis,Thanks. I had to buy the ammo for the ramrod trapdoor Springfield. It is gettng to hard to get. Rich A.

• 4 weeks later...

Got this stuff at the flea market. Suitcase is a Val-a-Pak wardrobe type named to a Lt.,binoculars are Signal Corp U.S. Army marked,case is U.S.Naval Gun Factory Anex maker,sweetheart ring,Spearhead Country Sports token,pair Meyers pinback Majors rank,2 1944 U.S.M.C. post cards 1944,scabbard for Ka-Bar stapled type and named,ration books and folder from Richlandtown,Pa.,2 belt buckles.

Rich A.

CNY Militaria

I wonder if that bag belonged to Ambrose Melvin Starr, who according to the war memorial GRADUATED SIGNAL OFFICER CANDIDATE SCHOOL (OCS) CLASS 15-43.

Nice finds. I was in PA visiting family at Easter time and by brothers and I hit a couple of flea markets near Harrisburg but it was bloody cold and not a lot going on. Where is Hokey PA?

Lt Ambrose M Starr was in the US Army Air Force, lived from 11/27/1911 to 11/11/1996 and is buried at the Indiantown Gap National Cemetery.

I wonder if that bag belonged to Ambrose Melvin Starr, who according to the war memorial GRADUATED SIGNAL OFFICER CANDIDATE SCHOOL (OCS) CLASS 15-43.

I'll bet he was a radio officer. Here's a short bio:

"Ambrose Melvin Starr (#16385) was born Klingerstown, Eldred Twp, Schuylkill Co., PA November 27, 1911. Ambrose died November 11, 1996 Hershey, Dauphin Co., PA, at age 84. He was a student at Franklin & Marshall College. He was a student at University of Pennsylvania. Ambrose was employed at as a school teacher. Ambrose served in the military c. 1940 in Africa, Italy."

Wow! Thanks for all the info! I was told by the lady I got the bag from it came from a storage locker clean-out. near Reading,Pa. I live about 60 miles north of Philidelphia. Rich A.

Some of the stuff I got this morning. The movies are Army Air Forces,canteen cover is dated Feb 1918,green pistol belt is dated 1953,kahki belt is 1942,plyers are Utica B 908,BAR parts box is 1943 Sears. Rich A.

duarte1223
I wonder if the films are viewable?

It's worth a try. Does your local library have an old projector Rich?

Adam

I opened all but 1 film can. They do contain reels of film. Viewable? Don't know. Library? Have not been one in well over 20 years.Old projector? Don't know. I'd be better off asking friends if they have one. Rich A.

MattOravik

I remember a discussion about old movie reels before and everyone said it was risky to put them in an old projector. They could fall apart going through the twists and turns the projector would put it through. Also the film can shrink and therefore the teeth on the side may not fit through the projector gears properly. I'be be careful with them. There's a photograph studio in Pittsburgh that deals specifically with the care and preservation of old pictures and movie reels. If I had something like that I'd take it to them.

-Matt.

I just bought an old projector and screen to view my Grandpa's (retired WWII Command Sgt. Maj.) old movies, and I ended up finding a treasure trove of parades from the 50's, formal occasions in Germany, and other military processions from Postwar Europe.

You might also try some of the local film/camera stores. There are places that transfer this stuff to DVD/CD/VHS. It's not hugely expensive and might be worth trying.

Got this stuff this morning. Navy coat is size 42, 2 Jungle Hammocks 1 is tagged 1943(darker one) and I could not find a tag on the other,M 41 carrying case(green cylinder), mukluk boots. Rich A.

776thamtrac

I got my jungle hamock at a Flea Market too! damned old thing looked like it had never been used! Great finds!

MattOravik

Wow once agin you have some nice finds! If you're ever interested in parting with a jungle hammock let me know!

-Matt.

Thanks guys!

776thamtrac,I got most of my jungle hammocks from the flea markets. 1 came from a yard sale. I think I have 6-7now.They are great. I use mine camping when we go rafting.It was super when set up in the yard of the house down in St.Thomas(just off St.Peters Mountain Road(U.S.V.I.)).

Matt,Thanks for the offer. Rich A.

One yardstick to keep in mind is just how bad the film smells. I have a lot of old training films and newsreels that play just fine but they only give off a faint odor of vinegar. If your films give off a strong vinegar odor, ya got a problem.

Another possibility is contacting one of those companies (a number of them sell on eBay) that sell DVD training films. If you have a film they don't have in their inventory, you might be able to get a "rental fee" and a free DVD or two for letting them copy your film(s). I've been thinking about doing that with mine.

One other point. If you find a 35 mm projector with a blown bulb, don't worry TOO much about it. Of all places, Radio Shack carries most of the available bulbs. The local store would have to order it for you, however.

Tom

Got this stuff yesterday. Also had a pair of size 10 white mickey mouse boots but I gave them to my friend before I took this pic. The holster is marked J.Davys Co. Newark,N.J.,3 packs of 10 unissued mess knives,TL-122B working flashlight,3 44th Inf. Div. patches and a Airborne tab(uniform cut off). Rich A.

Got this stuff this morning. Medium-Regular MARPAT blouse,small banner and size 7 1/8 E.M. hat marked V Head-Master U.S. Army hat is browner in colour than most. Rich A.

Got this stuff at the gun show this evening.Luce 1944 musette bag,M3 K.I. marked crossguard,U.S.Q.M.D. fork and W.W.2 30-06 ammo. Rich A.