• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 just-a-good-ole-boy

just-a-good-ole-boy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,533
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:32 PM

Alright guys, here is yet another medic lid from my last haul. Two panels and yellow circles on the sides. Does anyone have any idea what these signify? A very similar helmet can be found in the book "M1 Helmets of WWII" ( ccmax and Theorywolf's book). The one in the book is described as being a 101'st AB lid id' to a 463rd Parachute Field Artillery Battalion Vet. I cannot confirm or deny this claim. Can anyone expand on this idea or have any other suggestions. The helmet in the book is about 19 pages from the back.

medic.jpg

Edited by just-a-good-ole-boy, 05 August 2009 - 04:38 PM.

#2 just-a-good-ole-boy

just-a-good-ole-boy
  • Members
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:34 PM

medic2.jpg

#3 just-a-good-ole-boy

just-a-good-ole-boy
  • Members
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:34 PM

medic3.jpg

#4 just-a-good-ole-boy

just-a-good-ole-boy
  • Members
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:35 PM

medic4.jpg

#5 just-a-good-ole-boy

just-a-good-ole-boy
  • Members
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:35 PM

medic5.jpg

#6 just-a-good-ole-boy

just-a-good-ole-boy
  • Members
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:36 PM

medic6.jpg

#7 just-a-good-ole-boy

just-a-good-ole-boy
  • Members
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:37 PM

I didnt take a pic of the liner because i doubt it is the original. You can see in this pic that it obviously had a matching one. :ermm:

medic7.jpg

#8 ccmax

ccmax
  • Members
    • Member ID: 19
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:59 PM

Very nice and similar to the one in the book. I'd have to ask the owner of that helmet where he obtained his since I don't remember it anymore, but if I am not mistaken he found it in a DRGM among a pile of various other M1's.

#9 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 33,464 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:46 PM

Very nice and similar to the one in the book. I'd have to ask the owner of that helmet where he obtained his since I don't remember it anymore, but if I am not mistaken he found it in a DRGM among a pile of various other M1's.

This came out of the John Coy collection/museum.John is no longer with us.Hard to say where he obtained this one from.Like the others there is no record or tags detailing where/who/how it was obtained.

Great Helmet.I had this in hand for a personal look.

RD

#10 Raddock

Raddock
  • Members
    • Member ID: 789
  • 177 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:12 AM

possibly vesicant paint for gas detection?????

#11 Bugme

Bugme

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 1,726
  • 15,056 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:51 AM

The helmet from Cesar's book that you speak of, was from the Gary Underhill collection. I almost bought that one from Gary and have kicked myself throughly in the backside many times for passing it up. However, Gary is currently on deployment in Afghanistan so we have no way of asking him now where he got it from. I remember at the time that he was sure that is was an Airborne lid.

Gary is a contributor on the Trigger Time Forum and actually does Airborne reenactment jumps so, I have no reason to question his determination of that helmet being AB. Yours looks very much like that one. Since Cesar has it in his book, maybe he could post a copy of that helmet for comparison. I don't want to violate any copyrights on his book but, he can give the OK for it.

#12 Bob Carter

Bob Carter
  • Members
    • Member ID: 329
  • 547 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:03 AM

Several years back I had a fixed bail marked like this one without the medics insignia - The painted balls did appear to be vessicant paint but I was never 100% positive, painted with a stencil as this one also appears to be. I was never convinced it was truly an airborne piece so I sold it .

#13 ccmax

ccmax
  • Members
    • Member ID: 19
  • 2,152 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 12:15 PM

The photos I got from Gary are in another computer, so if you give me some time I will post them. The one in this thread is in better condition. It also shows difference between the paint of the medic panels and the round insignia on the sides.

Cute cat Bob. Reminds me of one of mine.

Edited by ccmax, 06 August 2009 - 12:18 PM.

#14 GITom1944

GITom1944
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,064
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 05:37 PM

The 101st used a variety of geometric symbols on their helmets to identify various subordinate units. The white circle signifies artillery. This link http://www.ww2airbor...gnsemblems.html has more details. Cool helmet.

#15 wdphll

wdphll
  • Members
    • Member ID: 577
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:27 PM

Steve, after seeing Mr. Underhill's 101st helmet and seeing the striking resemblances of yours, I think you have a pretty outstanding chance of having his helmets twin. It is pretty hard not to believe yours is a Airbone medics helmet after seeing Mr. Underhill's. You should post it on Trigger Time and see what some of the airborne collectors on there think. Might very well be worth your time.

Wade

Edited by wdphll, 06 August 2009 - 11:28 PM.

#16 NickD

NickD
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,374
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:15 AM

im probably being a bit dim here but if this is an airborne helmet i cant seem to see the extra tabs to fix it to the liner or have i gone blind :blink: :think:

Edited by NickD, 07 August 2009 - 02:15 AM.

#17 Bugme

Bugme

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 1,726
  • 15,056 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 05:45 AM

im probably being a bit dim here but if this is an airborne helmet i cant seem to see the extra tabs to fix it to the liner or have i gone blind :blink: :think:

Airborne Glider Infantry Regiment's did not have the M-2 or M-1C's. Also, many AB groups came in on boats on D-Day. Many others were replacements whose only jumps consisted of Tail-gate jumps. Again, many of these never got AB lids.

Edited by Bugme, 07 August 2009 - 05:54 AM.

#18 just-a-good-ole-boy

just-a-good-ole-boy
  • Members
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:43 AM

On a few other helmets on this forum, the circles painted on helmets represented some sort of Beach Group. Can any of our Navy guys add anything to this?

#19 sgtdorango

sgtdorango
  • Members
    • Member ID: 350
  • 12,316 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:12 AM

The yellow paint has me baffled, the airborne used white as far as I know or have seen?......beach maybe.... :think: ....mike

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users