• Member ID: 2,305
  • 10,431 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:15 AM

Are these real? I just lost them on ebay by .50 cents .... :crying:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...utorefresh=true

I REALLY hope my bad feeling about them was right. :(

Attached Images

• IMG_6022.jpg

Edited by Justin, 02 August 2009 - 05:22 AM.

#2 hawkdriver

hawkdriver
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,549
  • 8,038 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:40 AM

Somebody hand painted them, maybe with a spray gun, but not real. Look at the left pouch US, it's painted over, You can see where the paint line is with the lid, and the cammo is painted up on the back webing, all indicating hand painted afterwards. Good job on not winning this pair.

#3 Justin

Justin
  • Members
  • 10,431 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:51 AM

Somebody hand painted them, maybe with a spray gun, but not real. Look at the left pouch US, it's painted over, You can see where the paint line is with the lid, and the cammo is painted up on the back webing, all indicating hand painted afterwards. Good job on not winning this pair.

Okay thanks. Does have one have a real set of camo m56 pouches?

#4 hawkdriver

hawkdriver
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,549
  • 8,038 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 07:01 AM

When I was a kid and first started buying surplus, I couldn't afford the good stuff, so I would buy the faded equipment and uniforms and use spray paing to make it green again. Somwhere out there, is a bunch of duded up uniforms and equipment that has my signature work done to it. Probably being sold on eBay as Vietnam SF gear :think:

#5 nkomo

nkomo

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 566
  • 8,834 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:38 PM

Someone went to a lot of trouble to paint those pouches. I have seen jungle jackets from the earlier part of the war with that camo pattern. Hmmmm........ :think: I know many items have been painted up, but that pattern looks decently done.
Arch

#6 Justin

Justin
  • Members
  • 10,431 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:42 PM

Someone went to a lot of trouble to paint those pouches. I have seen jungle jackets from the earlier part of the war with that camo pattern. Hmmmm........ :think: I know many items have been painted up, but that pattern looks decently done.
Arch

Hmm, you're not the 1st person that also thought they were real, the 3 shades of Green Black and Brown do match other camo items I have seen from the era... :think:

#7 Justin

Justin
  • Members
  • 10,431 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:50 PM

Here's a photo of a LRRP, of course the color is brighter, but it's the same pattern, Black Green and Brown, Also the Ka-Bar is camo and so is his canteen, I'm sure everything else is too, look at the top part of the ruck, looks like green stripes?

Attached Images

• lrrp.jpg

#8 Mercenary25

Mercenary25
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,082
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:48 PM

IMHO, it has lowest chance to be legit. It is common for Special Ops such as LRRP, Ranger, SOG, and even SASR (Assuie SAS) to paint over their web gear in camouflage color. This photo you provided of LRRP guy with painted pouches, is brighter than one on ebay. So paint may be old and faded over time. But there is no way to confirm if those two pouches are for real, painted during nam era because seller or previous owner could easily paint them to give them a "impression" or the look.

I looked at this seller's other items, he has some suspicious items for sale.

#9 nkomo

nkomo

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 566
  • 8,834 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 07:14 PM

IMHO, it has lowest chance to be legit. It is common for Special Ops such as LRRP, Ranger, SOG, and even SASR (Assuie SAS) to paint over their web gear in camouflage color. This photo you provided of LRRP guy with painted pouches, is brighter than one on ebay. So paint may be old and faded over time. But there is no way to confirm if those two pouches are for real, painted during nam era because seller or previous owner could easily paint them to give them a "impression" or the look.

I looked at this seller's other items, he has some suspicious items for sale.

I never said they were real. I just said someone went to a lot of work to paint them and did a decent job. I don't really know what to think about them actually. The camo pattern is one that I've seen on earlier Nam items, but with all the fakers out there....you can never be 100% sure.
Arch

Edited by nkomo, 02 August 2009 - 07:26 PM.

#10 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

Deceased Forum Co-Founder

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 5
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:05 AM

While I think camp painted items are very real I would not trust those particular items because of where they are located. One curious thing about them. Why paint the back where no one will see it?

#11 Justin

Justin
  • Members
  • 10,431 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:34 AM

While I think camp painted items are very real I would not trust those particular items because of where they are located. One curious thing about them. Why paint the back where no one will see it?

That's where my bad feelings came from, the location and paint on the back. Thanks

#12 BOLO

BOLO
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,885
  • 6,093 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:20 PM

They look original to me , the camo looks well done and done a long time ago :think:

#13 YankeeDiv26

YankeeDiv26
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,807
  • 105 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:36 PM

I think they're close but no cigar. Definitely applied in the same manner as LRRPs did like the one in that picture but I think its something done by the seller to increase its value.

Notice how there is a lack of wear on the stress spots? You can see where the canvas is worn/faded (like around the edges at the bottom, sides, ect) the camo is not. If this were done with grease paint or something similar, when issued, it's highly suspect that the camo didn't wear and fade as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users