• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#1 renfield

renfield
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,349
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 01:12 PM

After looking at all the great collections on this forum I am not sure if I should post mine. Does not look like much when compared to some of the others. But it is mine and I get great enjoyment out of it. I was going to wait until it is "finished" but now I know it will never be "finished". So Here it is. The room was my daughter's walk in closet. She is now off to Purdue so I got the closet. This explaines the pink carpet. I have some more pictures to put up to cover the wall space. The Uniforms are all 8th AAF except the 9th AAF jacket. Most are named. I am now trying to get more flight gear and everyday items. I hope you see something you like. Sorry the first picture is fuzzy.DSCN1285_R.JPG
Steve

#2 renfield

renfield
  • Members
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 01:14 PM

DSCN1276_R.JPG Hard to get a good picture of the entire closet. I can sit in the middle and read or get on the net.

#3 renfield

renfield
  • Members
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 01:18 PM

DSCN1292_R.JPG My small patch collection. I like them. I am learning that sometimes less makes a better display than cramming too many in one space.

#4 renfield

renfield
  • Members
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 01:22 PM

DSCN1279_R.JPG Another view. I have a pair of GI sunglasses in the mail to put on the head with the crusher. It will look good when I put them on.

#5 renfield

renfield
  • Members
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 01:26 PM

This is were most of my free money has been going. DSCN1225_R.JPG Thanks for looking.

Steve

#6 Jumpin Jack

Jumpin Jack

BANNED

• Banned
    • Member ID: 247
  • 2,671 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 01:35 PM

DSCN1276_R.JPG Hard to get a good picture of the entire closet. I can sit in the middle and read or get on the net.

Renfield, an excellent cross section of uniforms. The one shown at the right is one not often encountered as it is the early regulation AAF officer's tunic (less waist belt). Another goodie is the tailored Ike jacket with the instructor's wings on the lower right sleeve. If you are looking for officer uniform shirts for these, I have some available (prefer to trade). Sorry, but I am very limited on ties. I really like your bullion 8th AAF patches! Jack

#7 renfield

renfield
  • Members
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 02:29 PM

Thanks for the kind words Jack. Here is an older picture of the same jacket. It was worn by an NCO, an air gunner, no name. I would like to get some more shirts. They realy add to the look of a display. At the very least I am going to cover the top of the display torso's with fabric of some sort.
Steve100_5362R.JPG

#8 rrobertscv

rrobertscv
  • Members
    • Member ID: 285
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:06 PM

Very nice, nothing wrong with that display, just using what you have available. I like it!

#9 kyhistorian01

kyhistorian01
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,492
  • 4,191 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 03:48 PM

Very impressive display!! I love army air corp material and you have it displayed very nice. I think space is a problem for most collectors, but you utilize your limited space very well keep up the good work.

Robert

#10 JGC

JGC
  • Members
    • Member ID: 179
  • 859 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:18 PM

Fantastic display, you can't go wrong collecting 8th AAF. Keep up the good work, and keep posting. Jon

#11 rmoore456

rmoore456
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,034
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:40 PM

Very nice display.

Ray

#12 SGM (ret.)

SGM (ret.)
  • Members
    • Member ID: 626
  • 462 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:18 AM

Very nice, Steve! Sometimes good things really do come in small packages, although, I'd say your collection is bit bigger than "small."

For the tops of those torso displays, I've had very nice results with black crushed velvet under the uniform tops and over the necks of the displays. You can pick up a yard ot two from any fabric store. I drap the fabric over the torso stand, mark it with chalk, and cut it out. I use stainless steel "T" pins (also from the fabric store) to hold the velvet on the form while I put the uniform on it. I don't worry about hemming or basting the edges of the cut cloth, but you could if you were bothered by stray threads, etc getting on your uniforms.

Post some more pics as you add to your display.

Thanks for sharing,
Mike

#13 mrhell

mrhell
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,414
  • 627 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:24 AM

Steve, first of all the carpet isn't "pink", I'd call it closer to a "mauve", which of course will go good with a Legion of Merit medal. :laughing1:

Very nice display room you have there and I expect it will only get better. Thanks for the following pics, you read my mind as I was hoping to see a close-up of both of these. Thanks for posting. :twothumbup:

This is were most of my free money has been going. DSCN1225_R.JPG Thanks for looking.

Steve

#14 Latewatch

Latewatch
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,236
  • 300 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:37 AM

Your display looks great, be proud of it. :thumbsup:

And on a personal note , Man this is the 21st Century, you don't have to stay in the closet anymore. Be proud of your mauve carpet and man dolls (as my wife calls them).... :laughing1:

#15 baker502

baker502
  • Members
    • Member ID: 512
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 06:57 AM

Nice focused collection, nicely displayed. You might have to get some sheets or fabric to cover up the tubs you have under some of your torso forms.. Nice job Paul

Edited by baker502, 02 August 2009 - 06:57 AM.

#16 renfield

renfield
  • Members
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:08 AM

100_4626_R.JPG Thanks for all of the input. I can see now that just a little tweeking will improve the "look" of this room. I am going to put cloth on the tops of the torso's and cover the plastic bins with some sort of earth tone fabric. This might help counter the "mauve carpet". I am going to cover the wall space with some pictures and magazine adds about B17's. Clear out the few German items I have and display some small AFF items, such as pins and cards. I might put up a shelf to display the hats I have just sitting around. I have a couple of nice Bancrofts. I can tell there is much more to do.
I have some other nice uniforms I bought before I found what I wanted to zero in on. This is a nice Ike, I have the pants, shirt,tie, and belt. I have the mans small Bible with his name and unit in it. I just do not have the space. Nothing new there.

#17 gtpcamaroz

gtpcamaroz
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,071
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:27 AM

The display is coming along nicely. :thumbsup:

#18 Teamski

Teamski
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,043
  • 14,143 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:29 AM

Yeah, that looks awesome. Your display is definately top notch!

-Ski

#19 Bones

Bones
  • Members
    • Member ID: 736
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 12:35 PM

Nice Display, my wife would love to have a closet that big. I bet every uniform collector here started in a closet. You could get yourself some shirts and ties. I just put an overseas cap over the top. Visor caps will work also. Makes it easier if your display goes on the road sometime.

#20 BEAST

BEAST
  • Members
    • Member ID: 203
  • 10,285 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:11 PM

Great displays! Are any of the uniforms from Indiana vets?

#21 renfield

renfield
  • Members
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 04:03 PM

Well I did a few simple things that I think really fixed up the display. It did not cost much,I had all of the mag. adds, and the cheap frames cost only $4.00 each. The fabric I bought on close out for next to nothing. Now I need to get rid of the disgusting black plastic shelf unit. Thanks for all the kind words.

SteveDSCN1539_R.JPG

#22 renfield

renfield
  • Members
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 04:06 PM

DSCN1583_R.JPG

#23 renfield

renfield
  • Members
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 04:08 PM

DSCN1573_R.JPG I just got the issue sunglasses off of ebay. the hat is named to an 8th officer.

#24 renfield

renfield
  • Members
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 04:12 PM

DSCN1558_R.JPG Some small stuff. The .50 comes apart and has a lighter in it. A bit of trench art.

#25 renfield

renfield
  • Members
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 04:14 PM

DSCN1556_R.JPG These adds are an inexpencive way to dress up a wall. I just got the yard long from Cobrehistorian.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users