9 replies to this topic

#1 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,893 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:19 PM

Not quite sure as to the era on this one. I'm thinking it's a Model 1937 based off that lack of latitude lines, and the design seems to remind you of Meyers, Gemsco, and H&H models kind of combined. However, the thickness of the continents reminds me of the M26 H&H Officer droop winged models. I think it's a model 37, but probably predates the war itself.

Notice the bold eagle, and the cross bar on the rear, which is NOT attached to the anchor itself. Also, notice hat Cuba is on the continents! This seems to support Bobgee's argument in our recent discussion that most companies excluded Cuba for construction, it was not just an enlisted thing. BB&B chose to incorporate it. Rear of the emblem is marked BB&B and Bronze

Any other opinions as to era? Very nice piece, and a welcome addition to the collection

Attached Images

• BBB_Front.JPG
  • BBB_Rear.JPG
  • _BWceG1g_mk___KGrHgoH_CIEjlLl4NtwBK_e1Gf_t____1.jpg
  • _BWceGD__2k___KGrHgoH_EUEjlLlu_UgBK_e1DSJ5____1.jpg

#2 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 21,893 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 06:19 PM

couple more

Attached Images

• _BWceHw__2k___KGrHgoH_C0EjlLlt_dzBK_e1KUj_g___1.jpg
  • _BWcePSgBmk___KGrHgoH_CMEjlLly1TnBK_e1p88Z____1.jpg

#3 usmcaviator

usmcaviator
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,315
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:21 PM

Brig,
Nice scarce piece. I would agree with you on your date. I have a set of these that came from a WW2 Marine officer that entered service during the war. Your example looks like it has been painted black, or dark brown on top of it's natural bronze finish. Mine are a natural bronze finish (with maybe a dark wash) but definately not painted, and marked just as yours. This version definately has a unique appearance with the high standing continents and very evident Cuba. Yours is only the second example I have ever seen of this version. I am wondering if a matching hat device with the same prominent Cuban island was made. Have fun looking for its match!

Semper,
Mike

#4 bobgee

bobgee

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 503
  • 6,162 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 03:35 AM

Very nice piece, Tim. I concur as well that it's likely a pre-war M1937. If it were mine I think I would strip off the black paint. It looks like "EMNEW" (spelling) that used to be around inthe 50s & 60s to spiff up your emblems. Do they still have it in the PX?
Semper Fi.......Bob

#5 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,549 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:55 AM

Congrat's Tim - I was too busy with business to watch let alone bid. You got a steal - given what Mike has mentioned. At least you are young enough to have a shot at finding a mate some day. The applied continents appear remarkably thick in comparison to other from the era. Only a guess here - from what Mike says - perhaps these were a salesman sample that were shown to outfitters & BB&B never went into full production... makes sense. Great catch! s/f Darrell

#6 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 21,893 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 04:39 PM

indeed, Em-Nu is still available. any ideas how to remove it without ruining the original finish?

thanks for the comments guys! I'd love to find a cover version, as well.

#7 bobgee

bobgee

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 503
  • 6,162 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:13 PM

indeed, Em-Nu is still available. any ideas how to remove it without ruining the original finish?

thanks for the comments guys! I'd love to find a cover version, as well.

I would try a little nail polish remover on a cue tip on the back for a test. Since the emblem is bronze I don't think you'll have a problem getting down to the original finish. Now, it's your emblem so you decide. Others might say just leave it the way it is. My 2-cents! Semper Fi......Bob

#8 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
  • 21,893 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 05:01 PM

the rear has no paint to test...maybe the thich continent side that cannot be seen straight on

#9 Gary Cain

Gary Cain
  • Members
    • Member ID: 96
  • 1,651 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:03 PM

Beautiful EGA's gentlemen!

#10 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,549 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 11:55 AM

Fellow forum members:

You are in the Marine Corps EGA reference section. This area is were posts from the Marine Corps, USMC EGA discussion section are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the USMC EGA discussion area which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on Eagle, Globe and Anchor emblem threads; to moderator's and forum staff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users