Vietnam era Purple Heart value?

Bob Hudson

I got a call today from a guy who said he needs money and wants to sell me his "solid gold" Purple Heart he received in 1969 while serving 3rd Batt., 1st infantry.

I really don't want to buy it because I hate to see someone hock their PH, but I would like to at least give him an honest idea of what it's worth (and let him know that it is not gold) so that if he decides to go to a pawn shop or peddle it elsewhere he has an idea. He said it is not engraved and is in the box, but missing the ribbon. I told him I would call him back Friday morning.

My guess would be that it is worth well under $100, but I'm hoping for some other expert opinions.

If he has the original orders or document or supporting material like dogtags he might get $80 to $100, If not it is the same as a $50 to $60 Purple Heart

Bill

If he has the original orders or document or supporting material like dogtags he might get $80 to $100, If not it is the same as a $50 to $60 Purple Heart

Bill

Thanks - that's kind of what I thinking.

I have to say that it wasn't until after I talked to this guy that I realized the implications of his comment about his PH being made of gold. I was kind of at a loss as to why he would sell it just to get $50, but on reflection I realized he thinks it is solid gold worth over $900 an ounce! I am sure he will tell me I'm full of BS when I break the news to him.

Thanks - that's kind of what I thinking.

I have to say that it wasn't until after I talked to this guy that I realized the implications of his comment about his PH being made of gold. I was kind of at a loss as to why he would sell it just to get $50, but on reflection I realized he thinks it is solid gold worth over $900 an ounce! I am sure he will tell me I'm full of BS when I break the news to him.

Oh well. Add him to the list of all of those owners out there with solid Gold Kuwait Liberation medals....

-Ski

I would avoid the "Gold" issue and just tell him what you are willing to pay.

I learned a long time ago that trying to reason with the "unreasonable" is just

a waste of time.

It is like trying to convince an antique dealer who is asking $50 for a National Defense

medal that it is only worth $5.

It's only worth is what someone is willing to pay....maybe he will find the guy who

will buy it for $900....but the odds are against it.

Bill

I would avoid the "Gold" issue and just tell him what you are willing to pay.

I learned a long time ago that trying to reason with the "unreasonable" is just

a waste of time.

Right - I don't want to buy it from him: I just want to make sure he knows what he has in case he starts peddling it elsewhere and keeps getting pissed off at people offering him less than $50 for his solid gold medal.

Hey guys,

An interesting note along these lines...

There was a story circulating awhile back about an individual who worked in the area where WWII Navy posthumous Purple Heart medals were being issued and this person had a large number of medals that, for some reason or another, were undeliverable or returned by mail, during or just after the war. This person held onto the medals for years but when silver prices reached the stratosphere (the Hunt brothers fiasco) the medals were melted down for their intrinsic "value"...wow !! What a loss !!

"Desparate times call for desparate measures Mrs. Lovett !!"

Vic