• Please log in to reply
188 replies to this topic

#26 New Romantic

New Romantic
  • Members
    • Member ID: 599
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:04 PM

Nice displays Alonzo, love that early stuff!

#27 Alonzo

Alonzo
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,470
  • 596 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:24 PM

Wonderfull displays! I really like your 88th WWI Manequin I see you have a thing for 41st Div and 88th Div. I had a great uncle in the 313th Eng of the 88th in the First war and another great uncle in the 163rd Inf of the 41st Div in the Second war.
I would love to see some more detailed photos of the construction of your display cases, espically the "lids" of the flat cases.
Did you use glass or plexi? It appeared in one photo that you used "L" brackets at a 45 angle to hold the glass in? Thats pretty inventive!

Thanks for your reply...Yes I DO have a thing for the 41st and 88th divisions. I will get busy and take a few more pics of some stuff.
I just got a 313th Ammunition Train group recently, over 200 individual document pieces, plus a 349th Bandsman group with a killer painted suitcase side.
The prizes of the 41s stuff are the beaded patches...I know of 5 patches and I have had three in my hands.

The cases are constructed of M.D.F. board, and are two pieces. The top case lifts off the base, the curtains on the bases hide more storage.
I bulit a jig to assemble the tops using 3/4 MDF overlaid at the corners. The glass shop installed 3/16 plate glass and glued it in place on the 4 foot cases.
On the wider cases they glued the glass in place and I added the corner brackets as support with felt pads against the glass. On each door there is mounted LED strip lights to provide lighting when the cases are closed. The LED light produce virtually no heat and plenty of diffuse light, not overpowering like fluorescent.

I will take a few pics and post.

Cheers

#28 Alonzo

Alonzo
  • Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:27 PM

OUTSTANDING !!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: And for once, we see a doughboy dressed for combat without a discharge chevron ! :thumbsup:

If you notice the photo on the wall in the background...it is an actual photo form Canadian Library Archives that I had enlarged. I chose this photo because it showed doughboys amongst the barbed wire pickets, whihc the mannequin is holding and his rifle is propped against.

Thanks for your reply.
Cheers

#29 Alonzo

Alonzo
  • Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:48 PM

Excellent!!!!

Could you tell me what the approximate size of the room is???

Thanks

Hello;
The primary display area measures 20'X 10'. The Room measures 15'X20', with cupboards, work bench, and other storage.
Thanks for your reply.
Cheers

Edited by Alonzo, 22 July 2009 - 06:49 PM.

#30 Alonzo

Alonzo
  • Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:36 PM

As requested...some photos of "The Rack".

There is some denim in there as well a tankers jacket, as well 40's and 50's RCAF stuff.
The Flight Sergeant tunic came from a good friend along with some cool stories, I also got his brother's RCAF tunics.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w142/oznola45/Museum%20Pics/TheRack-1.jpg

Here are some 41st Division items, with a bunch of HBT stuff, Mackinaws, and field jackets, M1941, 1943, 1950, 1951
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w142/oznola45/Museum%20Pics/TheRack-2.jpg

This section has mostly short jackets, Ikes, battledress, and most of the 88th Division stuff, I think there is even some USMC stuff in there as well...NOS M1941 and M1944 jackets...BTW NEED M1944 trousers ;)
Note the narrow cases hidden under the coats.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w142/oznola45/Museum%20Pics/TheRack-4.jpg

Here are the Indian Wars/Span-Am war stuff as well as some Army and USMC camo, there are also some early variants of the pre WW1 tunics and some early M1926 coats
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w142/oznola45/Museum%20Pics/TheRack-3.jpg

The case hiding under the 88th Division stuff...haversacks, musette bags, back packs, pre 1900 bags etc.
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w142/oznola45/Museum%20Pics/TheRack-5.jpg

A short rack of Flight jackets
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w142/oznola45/Museum%20Pics/Ghostsqrdn-51.jpg

#31 Captainofthe7th

Captainofthe7th
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,190
  • 4,336 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:00 PM

Alonzo,

This is gorgeous. You have a fantastic collection of some specific items (a whole division or two is specific, right? ;)) I hope my war room looks like this some day.

Btw, great wooden hangars for your uniforms!

Rob

#32 mrhell

mrhell
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,414
  • 627 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:51 AM

Can I come over? :naughty: I'd be lost for hours and hours..... what a wonderful retreat you have there Sir, excellent. :bravo:

#33 Alonzo

Alonzo
  • Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:21 PM

Can I come over? :naughty: I'd be lost for hours and hours..... what a wonderful retreat you have there Sir, excellent. :bravo:

I just completed a four hour tour of the "museum" this afternoon. The longest tour was just over six hours with a coffee/beer break in between.
I it is a blast giving tours as it remind me of what I have.
Cheers

#34 'Flage Guy

'Flage Guy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,226
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 03:29 PM

I just perused this thread for the first time...that is one impressive array of stuff, and a shipload of history.
A full-sized museum in every sense of the word!!

#35 Ricardo

Ricardo
  • Members
    • Member ID: 202
  • 7,760 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:14 PM

VERY NICE JOB!!!!!!

Best regards,

Ricardo.

#36 kekoaiki

kekoaiki
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,654
  • 125 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:19 PM

very professional, and well organized. I love the construction of the display cases and stands. by far the best if i had to vote. Most of us collectors wish we could be that organized that way we find the stuff we think we have LOL. let me know if you sell the plans for the case i would love to get it done here for the Hawaii Guard if they ever decide to make a museum.

Aaron

#37 67Rally

67Rally
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,529
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:29 PM

Absolutely stunning. I love museums and very few of them possess the attention to detail and the care you take in organizing your displays. I love that you don't just overwhelm the eye with as much stuff as possible (no offense to the others). This approach leave the eye to focus on the details. Most excellent approach and amazing collection.

#38 Alonzo

Alonzo
  • Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:34 PM

very professional, and well organized. I love the construction of the display cases and stands. by far the best if i had to vote. Most of us collectors wish we could be that organized that way we find the stuff we think we have LOL. let me know if you sell the plans for the case i would love to get it done here for the Hawaii Guard if they ever decide to make a museum.

Aaron

Thanks Aaron;
I am no carpenter and built these cases on the limited knowledge I have...though after the first two the technique and construction secrets/tools employed went far easier and faster...the finishing is what took the longest with sanding,priming, sanding, priming, base coat, sanding, base coat, sanding, base coat, then clear coat and sanding three time to get the final finish.
The top case sets on top of the legs and the sides of the case extend down past the top of the legs, they are essentially two pieces and can be easily moved. The plans were literally drawn out on a scratch pad with no scale...it took nearly four years to complete with most of building being done on the floor of the basement.
Cheers

#39 kekoaiki

kekoaiki
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,654
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:03 PM

Thanks Aaron;
I am no carpenter and built these cases on the limited knowledge I have...though after the first two the technique and construction secrets/tools employed went far easier and faster...the finishing is what took the longest with sanding,priming, sanding, priming, base coat, sanding, base coat, sanding, base coat, then clear coat and sanding three time to get the final finish.
The top case sets on top of the legs and the sides of the case extend down past the top of the legs, they are essentially two pieces and can be easily moved. The plans were literally drawn out on a scratch pad with no scale...it took nearly four years to complete with most of building being done on the floor of the basement.
Cheers

You are very gifted and a great contribution to the collecting arena. thank you for the helpful hints. with a little vision, a lot of sweat and elbow grease and this is what you get a first class home musuem . thanks for sharing I'm sure you can hear the OMG!

Aaron

Edited by kekoaiki, 26 July 2010 - 10:04 PM.

#40 Sabrejet

Sabrejet
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,022
  • 37,412 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 10:22 PM

Wow! I for one would happily pay an admission fee to visit that museum. Outstanding!

Sabrejet :w00t:

#41 The Meatcan

The Meatcan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,208
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:59 PM

I've never seen a pile of webgear look so neat and organized! :thumbsup:
really really great displays there Alonzo! Thanks for sharing with us.
Terry

#42 Belleauwood

Belleauwood
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,422
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 02:05 AM

Have to agree with all the others - great museum - VERY nicely done.

DJ

#43 Brian D

Brian D
  • Members
    • Member ID: 291
  • 3,734 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:46 AM

I would also like to say that this is one of the nicest, cleanest, and best organized out there. Thanks for showing off your wonderful collection. If only I could talk my wife into more room.......... :rolleyes:

#44 Latewatch

Latewatch
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,236
  • 300 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:12 AM

Very, Very Nice!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#45 1944

• Members
    • Member ID: 11,464
  • 3,399 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:17 AM

Excellent.... Military Collection you have got there
Some Really Very Nice & RARE items there in your Collection
Very well done and tought up..... :thumbsup: .
:) Great Job..

#46 Alonzo

Alonzo
  • Members
  • 596 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:50 PM

I've never seen a pile of webgear look so neat and organized! :thumbsup:
really really great displays there Alonzo! Thanks for sharing with us.
Terry

Welllllll....I did not take photos of what is contained in some of the cupboard drawers, etc. Some of the other drawers have hard gear, mess gear, leather cartridge pouches, belts...etc, etc.
There is one cabinet which is primarily dedicated to WW2 Shearling jackets...I think there are about 10 jackets in that cabinet...the bottom drawers are cartridge belts and canteens, entrenching tools and the top drawer contains some insignia.

Edited by Alonzo, 27 July 2010 - 08:52 PM.

#47 KVSkelton

KVSkelton
  • Members
    • Member ID: 7,504
  • 751 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:04 AM

I'm in awe. This is such a remarkable collection that is displayed so well. To echo other posters, I'd pay to visit your museum. I really like the fabric-covered display heads as well. I hadn't noticed that touch until someone mentioned it. It completley allows focus to rest on the headgear. I will borrow that technique if you don't mind!

Well done and thanks for sharing!

#48 labelkills254

labelkills254
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,378
  • 510 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:51 PM

absolutely fantastic! great clean displays as everyone else has said. bravo

#49 517th

517th
  • Members
    • Member ID: 401
  • 778 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:22 AM

Great stuff, nicely displayed...........517th

#50 BigJohn#3RD

BigJohn#3RD
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,224
  • 4,110 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:55 PM

I think the display cases for the WWII items are great are they home made or purchased?
Regards,
John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users