Help Decode Message To "Yoo Hoo" Regiment

siege1863

I recently acquired the official scrapbook of the 110th Quartermaster Regiment (35th Infantry Division). The unit earned the nickname the "Yoo Hoo" Regiment following an incident in July 1941 in Memphis. A convoy of trucks carrying men of the 35th Infantry Division back to Camp Robinson in Arkansas passed a golf course. Men of the 110th Quartermaster Regiment "yoo hooed" at some shorts-clad women playing golf. What the men did not know was that also playing on the same green was Lt. General Ben Lear, commander of the US Second Army!

Lear stopped the convoy and told the officers the conduct was unacceptable. As punishment, Lear ordered the 350 men of the convoy to return to Memphis the next day. Following a day of rest in the city, the men were ordered to march the 150 miles back to Camp Robinson. Each man was to walk a total of 15 miles, done if three 5-mile stretches. This was done in extreme heat and a number of men collapsed along the way. There was enough advanced notice of the affair that the media was present for the march. The whole story was told in the newspapers throughout the country. Many thought Lear had been too harsh. Others thought the men were "whiners" and they, as soldiers, should always be able to make such a march. Anyhow, for his part, Lear was forever known as "Yoo Hoo" Lear.

The scrapbook has 82 pages of original letters, postcards, sheet music, newspaper clippings, orders, and photographs. Other pieces of "Yoo Hoo" ephemera include a poster, a candy bar wrapper, and a membership card. I have already put many hours into the conservation of the scrapbook. Because of how it was stored, it was exposed to moisture. There is a considerable problem with mold and dust. It is necessary to remove each piece from the acidic paper and to thoroughly clean it. Many of the items were placed in the freezer overnight to kill the mold. When I can put together a good representation of the contents, I will post to the forum.

All this brings us to the reason for this post. Among the pieces in the scrapbook was this postcard, supposedly written by the the mother of a young man. The problem with her message to the men is that part of it is in code or a puzzle. It may be it was to be sounded out phonetically, but I have had no luck "cracking" it. The last line appears to read "You see 'em shorts." Help, guys!

post-211-1177560838.jpg

I'll try.

O M N O a dd's - (o em n o adies) Old men, old ladies

M R K dd's - (em are kadiesl) Them are Katie's

O S M R A dd's (oh es em are adies) Oh yes them are ladies

U C M shorts (u see em shorts) You see them shorts

This is the best that I can decipher. Now, as to what it means, I have no idea. think.gif

Thanks, Jerry! With your help, I think I know what it says...

"Oh, 'em no ladies"

"'em are caddies"

"Oh, yes 'em are ladies"

"You see 'em shorts"