Interesting pair of 1914 pattern EGA's for the service uniform

teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

These finished auction last night for the whopping amount of $621 (the economy is sure not affecting this collector!). These photo's were the only thing to go on... horrible. However, the interested and serious collector could tell what they were. So this begs the question... were these worth the price paid...?

FRONT.jpg _BWV7NYQBGk___KGrHgoH_DQEjlLlu3hQBKW9NSNv5g___3.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Perhap's...? These are a set of early Gemsco, pattern 1914. Hand tooled globe with moulded continents of the era and typical Gemsco featured eagle mounted atop. What makes these unique are the vertical pin arrangement - from back of eagle to the anchor. Something I recall having seen only once before on an emblem from the same era. So, in that sense for the type / variety collector something very desirable. A typical set (with screwback or full lenght pinback on the lenght of the anchor) in worn condition should bring a price in the $450 range (+ or -)

_BWV7MugCGk___KGrHgoH_EMEjlLlwLjKBKW9NOtIHw___3.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Here's the rub, were these modified from screwback - and - are the pins broken or bent. One cannot clearly see with the pic's I've cleaned up, it would appear there was never the traditional pinback arrangement along the entire length of the anchor. Nor can one tell if the screw-posts were damaged and removed in favor of a vertical pinback arrangement. Further, the cleaned up pic's do not reveal what "c" clasp arrangement exists. And finally and the most obvious, are the pins broken or are they bent. Cannot help but wondering... a $621 buck gamble? :think: s/f Darrell

rear.jpg

a $621 buck gamble?

How often does any type of pair of these come along? If it's not that often, then for a lot of people paying $621 instead of $450 is not a big deal.

What colors are these in real life?

teufelhunde.ret

Good question... during General Barnett's term a total of 3500 Officers, pre and during WW1. So once the numbers of emblems that are lost and those broken into singles.... the surviving pairs are not seen often enough on ebay during this recession to know with any certainty. That said, they are seen at shows and dealer web sites more frequently and often at unrealistic pricing. My bid was based on the lack of response from the seller for more pic's AND not knowing the true condition of the pin's.

Here are pic's of these from the EGA ref. sec. showing what the true color appearence should be:

post_334_1185594159.jpg

post_334_1185653642.jpg

post_376_1185640946.jpg

My bid was based on the lack of response from the seller for more pic's AND not knowing the true condition of the pin's.

It's amazing what poor pictures are used to sell expensive stuff: I wonder if the seller knew in advance what these were?

I have to say that matched pairs from any time before WWII seem to be harder and harder to find so values are anyone's guess: if someone with deep pockets is bidding that day, up they go.

teufelhunde.ret
It's amazing what poor pictures are used to sell expensive stuff: I wonder if the seller knew in advance what these were?

I have to say that matched pairs from any time before WWII seem to be harder and harder to find so values are anyone's guess: if someone with deep pockets is bidding that day, up they go.

How true... the seller has only sold one military item since April. Here is the reply to the only question answered:

Question & Answer Answered On

Q: Hi, What do you mean by scarf? The center post is it a screw post? The finish is it a blackened bronze? Thanks much, cheers Tom Jul-16-09

A: HELLO- A MILITARY COLLECTABLE GUIDE BOOK LISTED THESE AS "SCARF PINS". CENTER POST IS A PIN ,NOT A SCREW POST. ALSO IT IS A BLACKENED FINISH,NOT SURE IF ITS BRONZE UNDERNEATH? THANKS+GOOD LUCK

"Scarf pins" - what book are they reading???

Q: Hi, What do you mean by scarf? The center post is it a screw post? The finish is it a blackened bronze? Thanks much, cheers Tom Jul-16-09

A: HELLO- A MILITARY COLLECTABLE GUIDE BOOK LISTED THESE AS "SCARF PINS". CENTER POST IS A PIN ,NOT A SCREW POST. ALSO IT IS A BLACKENED FINISH,NOT SURE IF ITS BRONZE UNDERNEATH? THANKS+GOOD LUCK

"Scarf pins" - what book are they reading???

Well that book's description could mean one of two things: the author thought these were something Marines wore on the field scarves/neck ties - or "scarf pin" more commonly refers to something ladies used on their scarves and thus the author considered these to be what we call sweetheart pins.

usmcaviator

I'd say that those date earlier than 1914. I'd hazard to say Bailey Banks and Biddle. They have the BB&B stiple look to the globe. That method of pinback construction is also a sign of early BB&B construction (on hat sized pieces at least). Take a look at the detail to the eagle's feet, they appear to stand slightly off the globe. Those were a nice set that not too many of the top collectors saw, otehrwise they might have gone higher.

• 4 months later...

I have a matching hat device that came with a complete WW1 USMC Officers's trunk lot, same pinback construction. I would date to 1914-1918. Tough to find its match in that condition.

teufelhunde.ret
this just sold on eBay for $484, I think it's marked BB&B, any details on it?

Shame its mate was lost - had it been a pair, they would have sold for considerably more than a single, as this style of pinback is quite scarce!