Advice for New Collectors

Dave

I have been collecting now for nearly 21 years, and thought it would be appropriate to share some bits of wisdom with newer collectors. All are welcome to contribute to this thread - one of the things I've learned is that no one can know everything! Three big things I've learned:

1) BUY BOOKS! I've never met anyone who has regretted spending money on reference books, but I HAVE met many people who wished they had bought a book on their collecting interest but instead invested money into their field only to lose their shirt. Buying good reference books and educating yourself first is the first step to having a great collection! Just remember that 99.99% of militaria will come up for sale again sometime in the future... be patient and buy your education now, then militaria when you know what you're doing.

2) Buy what you're interested in, but buy the best. This is from a guy who spent the last 20 years being told by friends to buy "high end" items, but instead investing in items that had "character". Now don't get me wrong... sometimes those items that aren't the best have the best personal meaning, and that's worth more than anything. However, I haven't lost my shirt too many times trying to resell the things I've bought before, but trust me on this - I would have been a lot better off listening to my collecting mentors!

3) Always keep an open mind, and always know your friends. This is important anywhere you go and anything you do. Make sure that you're always willing to learn, and sometimes (when you have to) be graceful in taking your lumps. No one likes a collector who is defensive about something that's clearly fake, but that they believe to be real. Learn who you can trust in the field, and keep them as your friends. Keep a good reputation as both a buyer and seller - it will always pay off for you.

There's lots more theory out there, but these are my "big three" for new collectors.

What other thoughts are out there???

Dave

Dave-

All good advice!

I would add: Specialize!!

You can't possibly own everything, and if you just buy everything that you come across, you will not have a "collection," but instead a pile of unrelated stuff - some pretty cool stuff, probably, but it won't have much real meaning.

If you specialize, it'll save you time & money in the long run, too.

Steve

Dave,

Great advice!! Maintain your integrity and always do the right thing. Even when it hurts. I also agree about buying the best quality possible. A great collection does not have to be large. A good example was a framed display of 101st A/B patches someone posted once on another forum. Maybe a total of 12 variations. It was such a first class display and collection, I have never forgotten it.

Steve,

I've always thought a focused collection was best for me. When I collected TR, I brought that up in a thread and I thought I was going to be lynched. I think in the long run though, I was right. I also think that by being focused, it's easier to learn a lot about a particular area. Anyway, it's worked well for me. It also helps in maintaining control and not buying everything in sight. There really is a lot of neat stuff out there, but you can't have it all.

New Romantic

I agree with all that has been said thus far.

Educate yourself as to what reproductions are being made out there. Be familiar with web gear construction and repro maker marks. The internet is a great source to check out vendors such as At the Front and What Price Glory for WWII.

Covering Vietnam, Mooremilitaria has repro jungle fatigues. That super nice 1st pattern shirt you see at a gunshow for $150+ may be a Mooremilitaria item!

As for US WWI there have been repros on the market from AEF Supply since 2001 and now Schipperfabrik. Several weeks ago someone on eBay got duped into buying an "orginal'' USMC first aid pouch which was actually a Scipperfabrik made piece.

Finally-there's this forum! The info posted here is goldmine and the network of collectors formed is a formidable force of knowledge. When I started collecting in 1999 I didn't have this resource, but I was lucky enough to have a friend who taught me the basics of US militaria from WWI through Vietnam.

1. Buy (and read) books. The cost of the book will be quickly repaid by having the knowledge to avoid some overpriced junk. Even "bad" books have utility, if only to show where the mis-information starts.

2. Learn the difference between "what is" and "what should be". The regulations were nice, but not necessarily followed to the letter -- by chance, by choice, by necessity.

3. Buy what "sings to you". If it doesn't hold your interest before you buy it, why will it be interesting later on?

4. Buy the best available. Junk will always be junk.

5. Focus. If you collecting everything, you collect nothing. You can collect a wide range of items, but if you don't consciously set boundaries, you'll be chasing your tail.

Know the history.

We collect for a reason. To honor those who fought for us and our country. We don't collect to have the biggest or "best" collection. Having a huge collection, of say, uniforms, and knowing nothing about the men who collectively wore those uniforms is a waste.

Learn something new every day.

Whether it be about old uniform regs, a ribbon bar that you never knew about, or a little bit of history, learn something new every day.

Quality over quantity.

There are plenty of people out there with closets full of uniforms, shelves full of hats and helmets, and walls full of pictures and the like. A small, quality collection will stand out over a large, boring one any day.

Meet veterans.

It's possibly the most fulfilling thing you can do. Meeting veterans of any war, World War Two to today's wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, is a great experience. The first hand stories you get about their service, and the friendship you build, is invaluable.

Never ask for a veteran's things outright.

It's just rude. If they trust you with it, they'll give it to you. If it's going to family, then let it stay in the family.

teufelhunde.ret

2) Buy what you're interested in, but buy the best. This is from a guy who spent the last 20 years being told by friends to buy "high end" items, but instead investing in items that had "character". Now don't get me wrong... sometimes those items that aren't the best have the best personal meaning, and that's worth more than anything. However, I haven't lost my shirt too many times trying to resell the things I've bought before, but trust me on this - I would have been a lot better off listening to my collecting mentors!

Can we get an AMEN to this statement !

Specialize Specialize Specialize ! ! Can't be said enough! And yes buy the good stuff . ALSO document your collection, if something happens to you, your family will need to know values so they won't be taken. I have seen it happen MANY times.

Verify,Verify,Verify...buy the item, not the story, unless it is not directly from the vet., and then be cautious, 60 years is a long time on someone's memory.

I would echo the advise of the above posts, but number one is BUY GOOD REFERENCE BOOKS ! Then study them. In your early years of collecting, you ought to probably spend as much on good reference materials as the items you collect.

Another thing in regards to reference books: Save clippings from articles about the stuff you collect. Be it from collectors magazines, newletters, newspaper articles or what ever. Take photos of other peoples collections and write down information given to you about those collections. Keep all this in notebooks so you can reference back to it. I'm constantly refering to my scrapbooks for many reasons. I even keep information on things I don't collect, but each individual will gather & catalog differently.

Use the internet but with everything else, be aware that there is a LOT of bogus information being passed around on the net.

Staying educated and focused like the guys have already mentioned will pay off big time. But never forget.... Collect what you like..... not what somebody tells you that you should collect. Bottom line is to have FUN! thumbsup.gif

I would agree with what has been stated so far...specialize and read!

However, there are a couple of general rules I have shared with new collectors over the years:

1. Buy an ID'd example over a better conditioned of the same example when available

2. Never sell an original item to purchase a reproduction high end piece (example: You have "Joe Smith's" original Ike Jacket from the 17th Airborne but you really, really want that T-5 harness. You are "eyeballing" a repro. You can get 500.00 for the IKE to work towards the 1000.00 price tag of the repro. Don't sell the IKE).

3. Skip a show or two and spend the same time with a Veteran...you might be pleasantly surprised.

A couple of my thoughts...

Jake

good thread! but I would also add "patience" so many people want to play catch-up after seeing others collections and try and buy everything NOW spending way too much too fast bottom line things come along.I have waited patiently for years to find particular items and well worth the wait but sometimes we all pay the top dollar price for things because we want it!..that is OK too but do not make a habit of it that is why reference material is good know what is scarce and what is commonly found this will help justify spending on an item at the time you find it.Scrace items comes along every blue moon but there is still too much to pay even if it has been 10 years or more since you have seen the last one that is why the ebay is a good reference sometimes, see what particular items sell for and average out the price to get an idea of worth now that is just an idea.

I have become specialized over the years but it is good to know all areas because when you are out shopping you see items that do not fit into your interest but is a screaming deal..these make good trade material and resale to build a wallet to buy what you want!

DO NOT! buy repro unless you are reenacting or something having these items in your collection is very unattractive on the hole but in my mind there are a few exceptions I have repro field ration D's in my pack pad kits as I need five but cannot find one original! I do not really like it but it works for now.

My 2 cents to add here

Yes, buying repro "fillers" just means less money for the real thing, and repros rarely, if ever, increase in value...

This was something I could never understand. I would never shell out money for ANY reproduction.

I take that back. In my modeling I have bought repros to grind the attachments off and attach them to display bases to jazz them up a bit.

For the collection?? NEVER!

I would also like to add to the list, be humble. I've seen far too many "advanced" collectors that could use a slice of humble pie. You can never know it all.

True, don't stare yourself blind at other's collections.

Instead use them as reference material or examples on how to display or maintain stuff.

And don't let them make you crazy with "you should this" and "you have to do that".

Do what you like as long as you yourself feel good about it.

I agree with Jim on the "humble pie" thing; some collectors I know could use this as well ..... and a big chuink of it!

Times change and for new collectors it may be hard finding particular items. Give 'em a break!

Don't be afraid to ask around, INFORM yourself before starting a project.

If you want your display to be realistic USE wartime photos as references.

And - as said a few times - buy the item NOT the story.

Erwin

Share your collection with others. You'd be surprised how many local libraries, historical societies, VFW posts, schools, etc., would just love to have you set up a display. You never know how you might inspire a young person to take up collecting, and I've also had veterans give me items after seeing a display.

Bill

craig_pickrall

If you have access to anyone with an established collection ask them to let you examine items and have them point out details to look for. If you can't do this then visit museums with a good reputation and a collection with some age on it. Examine those items as closely as possible. Pay close attention to manufacturing details. Feel the cloth when possible. Examining real items is one of the best way to detect repros.

If you have access to anyone with an established collection ask them to let you examine items and have them point out details to look for. If you can't do this then visit museums with a good reputation and a collection with some age on it. Examine those items as closely as possible. Pay close attention to manufacturing details. Feel the cloth when possible. Examining real items is one of the best way to detect repros.

so true,I have been a friend of robinb on the forum here for about 17 years and I have used his collection and advice hundreds of times for reference.everytime I visit his house I spend hours looking over the same things but they all sem new and exciting.

vintageproductions

My biggest advice is to never be afraid to ask any question. No matter how simple you may think it is, you may be surprised with some answers. Never be embarassed to ask about items from dealers or other collectors. I cannot emphasize this as it save me some hard earn money many times over.

This is a great thread!

In addition to buying reference books about gear, patches , medals ETC, also buy books about the history of the time period itself!!

You would be amazed at how much a good education about the history of the area you want to specialize in will help. I collect WWII US Naval Aviation and POW material and have ready every book about both historical subjects that I can lay my hands on.

Some people collect " whats popular" without really understanding the history behind what made it popular.

Kurt

My biggest advice is to never be afraid to ask any question. No matter how simple you may think it is, you may be surprised with some answers. Never be embarassed to ask about items from dealers or other collectors. I cannot emphasize this as it save me some hard earn money many times over.

AMEN Brother!!!! thumbsup.gif

Thank you all for the great advise. I tend to lean towards items that were actually used by someone rather than a minty piece that was in storage. That is just me tho. I do regret not getting some better examples of WWI helmets. I have a few that are real dogs and I could have gotten a good one, that was still used at the price I payed for all of them. I now look for the best I can find but the history behind a good used piece for me just can not be beat.

This may sound cynical, but be careful of the experts out there. When I first started collecting, I listened to a "friend" who was a collector. "These are hard to come by", "Not often found on the loose" were some of the things that he told me when I was looking to buy something. Of course, it was usually something he was looking to sell. I spent a lot of money on crap.

Don't get inbred with your collecting circle. Stay connected with other collectors through this forum and/or through other organizations. And to reiterate what other have said, BUY GOOD REFERENCE BOOKS! This is a great addiction, er, I mean hobby. A final piece of advice; don't take your self too seriously. Take your collecting seriously, but realize that you will never know it all. Have fun!

Do not get locked down to one or two reference books either. Some of those have been written by "experts", but show alot of repros that are not labeled as such.

• 3 weeks later...

My advice to any collector who is starting out is as follows:

1. Listen to what experienced collectors have to say. Take in the knowledge and compare what you hear with reference materials. Never take anyboby's word as fact. Put it to the test.

2. Research, research, research. Never quite researching your area of collecting.

3. Trust your gut. If it doesn't feel right, look right, or sound right, then it probably isn't.

4. Buy the artifact, not the story. There are dealers out there who will come up with some incredible story about the item that you are getting ready to buy. Most of the times, the price will match the incredible story. Remember, it is just a story.

5. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Asking questions is how we learn.

6. Collect what you enjoy. There is no sense collecting something that you aren't interested in.

7. Be respectful of other people. Don't be rude and arrogant to other collectors.

8. Flea markets, antique stores, and estate sales are great places to find militaria. These places are excellent resources for locating militaria. Usually, but not always, the prices will be decent and there is less chance of the item being a reproduction. Remember the term "usually".

9. You win some, you lose some. We all miss out on great deals sometimes. Don't get discouraged, with a little perserverance you will find another great deal down the road.

10. Have fun! A hobby is supposed to be something that is fun and relaxing. It is not a competition about who has the most at the end of the day. It is about preserving history for future generations.

Arch