Fake or authentic WWII Navy Fischer aerial photographer wing

jwc1974

Is this a reproduction or good example of the WWII Navy aerial photographer wing. It is maker marked Chas Fiischer NY. and marked sterling. The pin measures 2 5/8 across. If it is real then how much are these selling for?

Thanks in advance for the help.

John C.

post-462-1247060867.jpg

First, do you have a picture of the back?

Second, as these are unofficial, one off, wings like the one pictured below, determining authenticity can be tough. a lot depends (in my optinion) on who is selling it

armchairpilot.jpg

Both wings are fantasy pieces... never authorized. Navy aerial photographers never had an "official" wing design. The flying chair wing design has been around for decades and all are novelty pieces.

Both wings are fantasy pieces... never authorized. Navy aerial photographers never had an "official" wing design. The flying chair wing design has been around for decades and all are novelty pieces.

Lee,

There's a difference ( in my book) between fantasy and novelty. Fantasy denotes a negative connotation i.e. Fake. Novelty on the other hand is different, the flying chair was of course, never meant to be worn (that one came from an Admiral's estate) and was given as a joke to "chair-borne" pilots.

Bob,

Interesting, the one on your site is the same maker!

John,

With that said, the photographer wing is a little different, it certainly wasn't authorized, but in several published accounts it MAY have been worn, in theater, during WWII only. And it has been faked, a lot. The one pictured here looks "older" , but they are all "custom". At one time I had all the Navy wings (including a Tach Observer, and WWI Pilots) but never felt comfortable enough with any example of these I saw to shell out the bucks.

So again, it depends who is selling it. Price, if it was real, attributed, and being sold by a person with a good rep, it would be high. But after looking at the one on Bob's site :thumbsup:

Makes me want to reassemble my Navy wing collection!

Paul

The wing was attached to an old box top with several other WWII Navy and Marine pins. There were a total of about 5 or 6 wings. I will add pictures few of the other wings and a nice 10K submarine badge that was also attached to the box.

I will post all of the other pins later on today. Thanks for the feedback on that photographer wing.

I am pretty sure that the photographer's wing is a good one. I saw one a few years ago that sold well over 300$ at one of the shows, with this same hallmark. Your wing and that wing could have been brothers!

As for a "fantasy" wing, I would disagree. Authorized or not, it seems that they these wings were apparently made and worn during WWII to some extent, and thus are NOT a figment of some one's imagination-so perhaps calling it a novelty wing is more appropriate. That being said, I have seen a goodly number of fakes come up of this wing. Way back when, I was told that the ONLY legitimate WWII version of this wing is like the one shown, but I suspect other wings could exist.

Neat wing!

Patrick

• 9 years later...

I can't make out what the center device is supposed to be. I'll take a wild guess that is aerial camera related. But googling around I can't find anything that looks like that. It's more like what a Grecian urn would look like if I made an attempt at pottery.

Mikie

Here is an image of an F-8 Aerial Camera that i got from this site- http://www.combatcamera.be/equipment/keystone-f-8-aircraft-camera/ I would HIGHLY recommend the site as it has some fantastic images of cameras and photographic equipment.

Now, if you orient the camera so that it is pointed down, you can see the viewfinder in the center of the camera on the wing and see the offset handles on the sides.

This is a super wing and I applaud the new owner on his acquisition.

Allan

post-151-0-56137600-1543205295_thumb.jpg

its not quite as nice as the one on Bobs site. No detail in the ropes and that logo...

What do you think about the pins? The sterling mark looks strange to me.

post-181333-0-71111900-1543209336_thumb.jpg