• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JimmCapp

JimmCapp
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,395
  • 541 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:12 AM

I think we were doing some hasty ambush drills somewhere on Ft. Benning and I remember landing prone in a stand of pines under a tree and there it was, half-buried in some pine needles. I had fired an M1 when i was a kid in the boy scouts a few years before so I knew exactly what it was. I brushed it off, and stashed it in my shirt pocket. Later I took a bore brush and some WD40 to it and kept it in my locker. Nothing special, but I thought it was cool to find an M1 garand clip that some other solder had probably ejected from his rifle in that same spot many years earlier, probably doing similar training.

Attached Images

• small_3.JPG

Edited by JimmCapp, 08 July 2009 - 12:19 AM.

#2 JimmCapp

JimmCapp
  • Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:13 AM

A few others

Attached Images

• garand_small_2.JPG

#3 JimmCapp

JimmCapp
  • Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:15 AM

In pretty good shape after all that time too, I guess the spring steel holds up pretty well to the elements.

Attached Images

• Small_garand_clip.JPG

#4 keymaker

keymaker
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 7,029
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:09 AM

A very nice find I think. "SA" = Springfield Armory, Springfield, MA. Yours has a bar above and below the SA mark which I believe is post WWII. There is at least 5 or 6 variations of the SA en blocs.

Nice story. :thumbsup:

#5 keymaker

keymaker
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 7,029
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:31 AM

Knew I had these pics and much to my surprise I was able to find them. The larger "SA" stamp is WWII vintage and interestingly it's said that unmarked en blocs were also made by Springfield Armory.

http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt270/keymakerpics/sa.jpg

#6 BEAST

BEAST
  • Members
    • Member ID: 203
  • 10,202 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:02 AM

Nice find! I spent a lot of time doing tactical drills at Fort Beginning, but all I managed to find were fire ants!

Edited by BEAST, 08 July 2009 - 06:02 AM.

#7 SDC

SDC
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,625
  • 300 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:28 AM

You might be interested in these as well, recovered from the 10th Mtn combat area in Italy. Scroll down to about the middle.

http://www.usmilitar...d...3266&hl=SDC

#8 ASMIC2971

ASMIC2971
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,665
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:47 PM

[quote name='BEAST' date='Jul 8 2009, 09:02 AM' post='357578']
Nice find! I spent a lot of time doing tactical drills at Fort Beginning, but all I managed to find were fire ants!
[/qL

LMAO - When I was at Benning the only find that I got was the crud and yelled at for looking to closely at a busted up DUWK used as a "CP" we had to capture.

Drew

#9 Linedoggie

Linedoggie
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,030
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 02:20 PM

Ft. Drum, NY Near Oliphant hill in TA 7D is loaded with M1 Clips and Rusted up BAR Mags. Cp. Smith, NY has the same and the added feature of Hundreds of WWI 3" Stokes Mortar shells laying on the surface of the Training Areas. Once you knew what to look for it was amazing the amount of stuff lying around.

My O/C-T Team was setting an OPFOR M240 crew in place at Cp. Smith and we realized the outcropping had 5.56 Link, 7.62 Link, & .30 Browning Link & a Piece of what we presumed to be a Starter Tab for a Canvas belt all around the rock. Must have been a prime Ambush site for years.

#10 Blake_E

Blake_E
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,398
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 05:20 PM

Cool finds guys!

#11 JimmCapp

JimmCapp
  • Members
  • 541 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:44 PM

You know, I don't think I ever even noticed the SA markings on the bottom until you pointed it out. Interesting thread with some nice tips in the link above too, it's hard to believe that the rusty helmet in that post cleaned up so nicely. I spent over three years at Benning and found a few odds and ends here and there over that time including fire ants. :) I remember fondly doing pushups in an area loaded with them. I think the DI's may have picked that spot intentionally. :lol:

#12 hawkdriver

hawkdriver
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,549
  • 8,038 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 01:08 AM

When I used to do a lot of FTX work at Ft. Riley, I would find all kinds of things like this. One day, we were marching up a dirt trail, and laying in the middle of it was an en block full of live rounds. I kicked it loose and put it in my pocket. Later, I pulled the bullets and dumped the powder and lit it on fire and it all burnt!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users