3rd Armored History; Sad Surprise

captaxe

I recently purchased this 32nd Armored Regiment, 3rd Armored Division yearbook from 1941. Opening the book, I found it belonged to Ralph W. Moser of Joplin, Missouri.

post-701-1247024341.jpg

post-701-1247024354.jpg

T4 Moser's picture is in the book, bottom row, 2nd from right

post-701-1247024371.jpg

Also in the book was a copy of Vol. 1, No. 1 of The Informer, published by and for members of the 3rd AD, dated April 16, 1943

post-701-1247024566.jpg

post-701-1247024583.jpg

The real surprise came in the back of the book, where there are 29 photos (some have fallen out), which appear to be of 3rd AD training scenes and personal photos.

post-701-1247024708.jpg

It appears the book was assembled by Moser's wife, Arlene

post-701-1247024754.jpg

There are more than a few photos of 32nd AR buddies:

post-701-1247024821.jpg

post-701-1247024830.jpg

. . . and a few shots of Moser with his family

post-701-1247024881.jpg

There are also quite a few shots of the regiment on maneuvers, which were likely either taken at Indiantown Gap or Camp Polk. Moser is at left in the tent

post-701-1247024990.jpg

post-701-1247024997.jpg

post-701-1247025015.jpg

Note the bugler in the prior photo, kind of cool

post-701-1247025023.jpg

Also, some of Ralph Moser and his fellow tank crewmen. Moser is in the middle-

post-701-1247025235.jpg

post-701-1247025245.jpg

Sadly, in the back of the book, I found a 1947 letter to Mrs. Moser, which was mailed with the accompanying photograph:

post-701-1247025346.jpg

post-701-1247025359.jpg

I need to do more research on this unfortunate brave man.

Is there anything about his death during the war?

I have not found anything-- just KIA mentions in the National WWII Memorial database and a mention in the KIA section of the 3rd AD website

Bob Hudson
I need to do more research on this unfortunate brave man.

He died on Christmas Eve: Moser, Ralph W, Born 1916, Died Dec 24 1944 in Belgium

Bob Hudson

I wonder if he might have been involved in the events here: (from http://www.3ad.com/history/wwll/spearehead...pters/bulge.htm )

Fighting at Hotton & Manhay

German tanks smashed into the outskirts of Hotton, but concentrated fire from headquarters, signal and engineer personnel, plus the punch of the one Sherman tank, drove them out again. By noon the town was quiet, but six engineer bridge trucks and several other vehicles had been knocked out. The enemy had suffered the loss of three tanks, one of which he abandoned in the best of condition.

Combat Command "Reserve" immediately attempted to move to the assistance of this small force at Hotton but was unable to get through an enemy road block at Soy. However, a platoon each of tanks from "G" Company of the 32nd Armored Regiment and "C" Company of the 33rd Armored Regiment, plus "B" Company of the 36th Armored Infantry Regiment, managed to reach the town. Under the command of Major Jack Fickesson, executive officer of the 23rd Armored Engineer Battalion, a defensive line was set up and held.

German forces continued to attack on December 24. In order to stabilize the line, Combat Command Howze was ordered to advance while Task Force Richardson removed its road block. Somehow, eight enemy tanks and supporting infantry managed to get behind this force in the town of Manhay. The road block, commanded by Major Olin Brewster, was trapped. Caught by direct fire from both sides of the route, Brewster quickly lost two of his light tanks. He destroyed the remaining vehicles and came out on foot with his men.

Bob Hudson
Thank you Forum Support-- very good info. Exceedingly sad though, on Christmas Eve.

Yes, and his death in the Battle of the Bulge followed an earlier wounding in France. This is from July 1944:

moserJuly44.jpg

And this is from August 1944 (the newspaper archives did not have anything about his death):

moser1.jpg

Yes Capt, very sad ending of a mans life, but that sure is some great documented history and an excellent keepsake you have there. Could you share how you found such a treasure? :wink2:

Yes Capt, very sad ending of a mans life, but that sure is some great documented history and an excellent keepsake you have there. Could you share how you found such a treasure? :wink2:

Keymaker-

I collect Armored/TD histories and was looking for a copy of this volume to help complete my 3rd Armored Division books. I searched for and ordered a copy on-line and it came with all the stuff shown. I had the same thing happen with a 1st Div. WWII history a couple years ago-- it came with copies of invasion orders for North Africa, currency, ship boarding passes and an Army guide to North Africa. Doesn't happen much, but when it does it's nice.

Greg

• 7 years later...
tdonaldson11

Ralph W. Moser was my great Uncle. I've attached his funeral notice. He was repatriated in late 1947 and is buried at Mt Hope Cemetery in Joplin, MO. His brother who is mentioned in the news article as visiting him in England survived the war and lived a long life. His name is George Moser and he told me many stories about the war and about his brother, Ralph. I would like to know if you still have this memorabilia and if you would be willing to part with it. We are working on naming a VFW post for Ralph W. Moser in the community where he lived, Joplin, MO. Hopefully, we can connect.

Ted

post-168753-0-00505200-1496060782.jpg