USN Sweetheart Pieces

Brig

here are 3 pieces in my collection. I believe all 3 are WWII era, correct me if you know otherwise...

1...a sweetheart locket I picked up yesterday at a antique store for 10 bucks. The loop for the chain is broken off, and there's no picture. it's hinged, with the USN anchor being a seperate piece that's been attached... inside is marked

/20 12K G.F.

ON Sterling

A.L.L. C.O.

2...another beautiful sweetheart piece, Naval emblem on red white and blue painted shield. I was told this might be pre-WWII, due to the way the bird's facing. any ideas? pinback, with a loop for a chain that is absent. back marked 'Goldfilled'

3...circular pinback piece with part of the chain still attached with a USN anchor. think it's WWII, not so sure. any opinions would be great

I personally think items one and two are very nice examples of sweetheart pieces, higher quality than a lot of the items floating around back then

USN_SH_1.jpg

USN_SH_2.jpg

• 2 months later...

time to bump this up and see if any of the newer members know as to the eras of these

The left-facing eagle was dropped as of the 1941 uniform regs.

The pins with the USN across the anchor are are chief petty officer insignia. Supposedly in 1941 the insignia (actually the cap badge) went from twisted wire to chain for anchor. Yours all look like the have the twisted wire (actually looks like rope to me) so they may be pre-41.

The curve of the "USN" also changed over the years however because there are sweetheart pieces, they would not necessarily follow the same standards as the cap ornaments. There's a nice webpage on CPO insignia at http://www.quarterdeck.org/uniforms/CPO_Ha.../HatDevices.htm

I would guess these are maybe 1941 or earlier. It doesn't seem like this kind of thing would have been produced during the war, but I could be wrong on that.

thanks for the link...

I think sweetheart manufactorer's often failed to follow the regs. I also think that wartime sweetheart pieces were more plain, like the USN disc with chain. Not sure if they'd put the effort and detail into them as with the locket and left facing eagle, due to wartime material restrictions and the fact they were probably mass-produced

• 8 years later...

Please help ID the period of this USN sterling (0.45 oz) locket with sailor photo. There are three white stripes on his uniform.

I found this sweetheart locket along with WWI home front Red Cross and War Bond material, as well as with a WWI MEDAL.

Is it WWI?

post-13283-0-45735300-1448660548.jpg