These 2 things fell out of a book in a local thrift store, talk about luck

cmjordan77

cmjordan77

Hey,

These 2 passes fell out of a book in my local thrift store. I stuck them back in and bought the book of course.

These are both from the same Marine, MAJOR.

1 is a " Marine CORP Commissioned Officers Mess" pass dated NOV 30 1945

San Diego California Marine corp base

The 2nd is really cool

"OFFICERS CLUB III Amphibious Corps Tientsin China

There is a really cool picture of a Chinese Buda temple dated Oct 17 1945

The book was dated 1937, I guess it was the one he was reading and forgot about.

I was shocked when these 2 things fell out.

Let me know if anyone has heard of the place in China, or what the III Amp Corp is a part of.

On the back of each item the guy has hand written notes - phone #'s for the one in San Fran and a base

BLDG 136 Room 718

BOQ NAS

Alamdea

Does this make sense to anyone?

Any information?

The China pass has RECEIVED $10 from III Phib or PHIL CORPS?????? Looks like he hand signed his name again and hand wrote in 29/ OCT 45

I know they arent worth much, but still to me they are really neat.

Let me know what you all think.

Thanks!!

post-2002-1246681551.jpg

post-2002-1246681560.jpg

Bob Hudson

These are the kinds of things that gain value because of whose name is on them.

austin.gif

NEW BRITAIN CAMPAIGN AND TALASEA OPERATION

(26 December 1943-25 April 1944)

2d Battalion, 17th Marines (Pioneers)

CO LtCol Robert G. Ballance7 (to 22Feb44)

Maj Austin S. Igleheart, Jr. (from 22Feb)

The Campaign on New Britain

1st Bn, 17th Marines (Engineer)

Commanding Officer Maj Henry H. Crockett (To 4 March)

Maj John P. McGuinness

Executive Officer Maj Austin S. Igleheart, Jr. (To 21 February)

His father Austin S. Igleheart, Sr. was at one time President, and later Chairman of the board, of General Foods

Bob Hudson

A few more factoids: Austin Smith Igleheart Jr joined the Corps in May 1937 and was commissioned in August 1940. His brother was president and CEO of the International Steel Company.

Found info on another one of his WWII jobs:

Marine Task Organization and Command List1

A. Assault and Occupation of Okinawa Gunto

(24March-30June 1945)

1st Pioneer Battalion

(30Sep45-11Jun47)

CO Maj Austin S. Igleheart, Jr. (to 31Oct45)

Sadly, while his family was quite wealthy, he apparently was not happy with his lot in life:

austin2.gif

cmjordan77

Wow,

That is extremely interesting, he died so young. I wonder how this one book ended up in a huge book bin at a thrift store. It was literally in a bin that was about 6' X 8' and about 4' deep. I just was digging found an old book opened it up and thumbed through the pages, the CHINA Card fell out about in my hands, then I started thumbing through all the pages and found the other card.

I wonder if he was ever given any commendations for the battles he participated in.

Thank you for that information!!!

Nice find. This isn't contributing much but:

BLDG 136 Room 718

BOQ NAS

Alamdea

Does this make sense to anyone?

BOQ is Bachelor Officer's Quarters

NAS is Naval Air Station, Alameda, California.

It is located across the Bay from San Francisco. Sailed from there several times on the USS Ranger.

Let me know if anyone has heard of the place in China, or what the III Amp Corp is a part of.

III Amphibious Corps (IIIAC) was composed of the 1st and 6th Mar Divs. Their mission was at the end of the war to return to north China to disarm the Japanese forces in the area and assist in their return to Japan. The 1st Mar Div was assigned to Tientsin (which was kind of the gateway to Peking...with direct rail and road access). The 6th was located in Tsingtao. Tientsin has a long association with China Marine history from the Boxer period through 1941.

Neat finds, Chad, and AWESOME help/research, Forum Support!

Given his service as a Battalion XO and Commander during some long and brutal campaigns, I wonder if his "ill health for some time" was a result of alcohol abuse - a too common effort to (avoid?) deal with reintegrating to society after the war. Truly a shame, regardless. And no, I'm not trying to defame the man - have learned a bit about that in a couple of ways.

Thrasher

Kurt Barickman

Neat find and great research Forum Support. To read more about the Marine Pioneers of the 1st Marine Division, check out the book, Marine Pioneers: The Unsung Heroes of World War II by Lt. Col. Kerry Lane.

Kurt Barickman

cmjordan77

Thank you to all who has helped with research! I am glad I belong to a community like this.

I appreciate it!

If anyone ever finds anything else on this man, please post. Also, Is there anywhere I could possibly find what medals he earned, and any commendations he earned?

Thank you!!

• 1 month later...

I was thinking about trying to find some family members to see if I can get these back to the original kin (DIRECT CHILDREN DESCENDENTS NO COUSINS, IN LAWS etc.) Can someone help me look to see if we can find them?

I bet they would love to have this memoriblia since their father died at age 49.

Thanks!

I bet they would love to have this memoriblia since their father died at age 49.

Thanks!

Don't always count on that...

He did have one child, a son and his last known address was:

Austin S Igleheart III

15809 E 2nd St,

Saint Petersburg, Florida

WOW,

Something weird, an A IGLEHEART died 2 years ago in FORT MYERS FL.

But he has some kids.

I wonder if they are all related. I am betting they are as that is a pretty rare name.

I appreciate the help!

FORT MYERS TROPICAL NEWS, Dec. 27, 1927--Christmas brought sorrow to three Fort Myers families when Mrs. Alma C. West, J. F. Allred and A. W. Igleheart died early Sunday morning all within a few hours...Mr. Igleheart, who died at his winter home in York Manor, came to Fort Myers two years ago. He has been suffering from a stroke of paralysis received some time ago. He was 75 years old. Mr. Igleheart was the senior member of the firm of Igleheart Bros., Inc., manufacturers of the famous Swan's Down Cake four, of Evansville, Ind. He is survived by his widow and daughter Miss Edna Igleheart, who were with him at the time of his death, one son, Edgar and two married daughters, Mrs. William Johnson and Mrs. John Darby of Evansville, Ind.

Thats what I found, I wonder if they are all the same.

Actually, I take that back, I found an AUSTIN S. IGLEHEART in St. Petersburg FL and he is about my dads age, born in 1947.

I wonder if this is him!!

I think I may have found a match!

Wow, I wonder what he will think when I tell him I found some of his fathers officiers passes from WW2.....

I will keep everyone posted

Actually, I take that back, I found an AUSTIN S. IGLEHEART in St. Petersburg FL and he is about my dads age, born in 1947.

I wonder if this is him!!

I think I may have found a match!

Wow, I wonder what he will think when I tell him I found some of his fathers officiers passes from WW2.....

I will keep everyone posted

The son you are looking for is Austin S Igleheart III, who was born 29 May 1942, not in 1947. There is also Austin S Igleheart IV, but he is most likely the second cousin of III. The Marine was II, or Jr: he is the father of III and great-great-uncle of IV, as far as I can tell from the ancestry.com records.

If you want to connect with III, the best way is probably Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/people/Austin-S-Igleheart/1057078482

Thanks, Thats the exact same guy that I found.

I contacted him earlier just to see what he says.

I will keep everyone posted in what I find.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

GUESS WHAT!!!!

The SON Finally contacted me!! The fathers documents I found in the book at the THRIFT STORE, I found the son On FACEBOOK. I emailed him months ago. I just got his reply today. Please see his reply.

Subject: Austin S. Igleheart, Jr. Chad - that is my father and I think it is a fascinating coincidence that those items came to you in that way. I would of course love to see them and am interested in what the book is and what notes and phone numbers are written on the cards. I live in Charleston. Dad told me he landed in China the day I was born, September 21, 1945, and I note that t the dates on the cards are some three weeks later. Harford W. IgleheartSecond son of Austin Igleheart

I am going to get these 2 ID's back to him. I hope he enjoys them.

Thank you for all the information and help with this. If you guys hadnt helped me on here, I wouldnt have found the son.

Thanks

Chad

Chad-simply outstanding work. You were so very kind to take this project on. Is he here in Charleston, South Carolina or West Virginia? I feel so badly for his family-to lose a loved one through suicide is agonizing.

Again, you did a very, very kind thing.

You da man!

Capa (fielding)

I am not sure actually, I will find out and let everyone know.

I hope Charleston SC, as I only live 3.5hrs away in Greenville SC

Neat find and great research Forum Support. To read more about the Marine Pioneers of the 1st Marine Division, check out the book, Marine Pioneers: The Unsung Heroes of World War II by Lt. Col. Kerry Lane.

Kurt Barickman

While reading an earlier thread this morning, I spotted your reference to the book my Lt. Col. Kerry Lane. - I don't have it in my library, and was hoping you could check something for me; does Col. Lane make references to or discuss the "1st Aviation Engineer Battallion" and their part in the construction and defense of Henderson Field ?

I have a number of items from Lt. (later Capt.) Francis W. Augustine.

Augustine is 5th from left in the back row:

post-6057-1258824059.jpg

If the 1st Aviation Engineers are discussed, I will in fact track down a copy of the book for purchase.

Thanks in advance for your help, Kurt !!

Best regards,

Paul Walker

Klamath Falls, Oregon

Wow,

Something REALLY interesting, The guy's ID's these belong to, his WIFE is still alive! She is 91 years old. Harford (the son I am speaking to asked her about these, and she remembers when her husband trained at CAMP LEJUNE and fought on GUADALCANAL. I didnt ask if they were married or just dating at the time, but the son told me she remembered everything. The sad thing is, I didnt buy the book the ID's fell out of, and I went back the next day to try and find it, but it was sold. The sons are wanting the book so bad, I wish so much that I had purchased the book so I could have given them the Book and ID. Here is the latest email I received from him. The story unfolds a little more. Its hard to believe Austin's Wife is still living after her husband passed away SO long ago. He passed in the 1960's, so that makes it 40 years after since he passed. Wow, how time flys. I informed Harford, that I hope he or his brother or someone will be in Greenville so I can personally give them the ID's back. I told him I would gladly mail them to him, but I would rather hand them to him in person.

His email to me earlier today listed below.

Thanks for all the help guys.

O yes, I mentioned the US MILITARIA Forum that I belonged to and how the guys on the site helped me find information on his father and helped me find information on him so I could contact him to see if he was in any relation.

Thanks again to all

Harford Walker Igleheart November 21 at 10:54am Report

Chad - as you can imagine we are intrigued by these items and how they fell into your hands. I wonder, if it is not too much of an imposition on you, if one of us could meet you at the Goodwill store where you found the book? It would be worth looking through the bin to see if the book might still be there. I assume the store is in Greenville somewhere near where you live and work. My oldest brother, Austin III, passes through Hendersonville pretty regularly, and he would be the likely one. This of course would be at your convenience.

One of the entries on the website listed the names of three officers including our father. The other two mentioned were Maj Henry Crockett and Maj John McGuinness. I showed that to our mother, who is alive and sharp at age 91, and she remembers them from Camp Le Jeune where my father was stationed before going overseas and to Guadalcanal. how likely is that! Pretty amazing. Thanks again for your persistence and let me know if a meeting at the Goodwill store can be arranged

Hey folks,

Final update, I met with 1 of Major Iglehearts sons yesterday at the Goodwill where I find the 2 Marines Passes. I gave them both to him. He was extremely happy to get these. He and I sat outside for 1/2 hr + trying to speculate on how they ended up there. Major Igleheart had a sister that lived in Greenville and passed away a few years ago. This is 1 of the things we figured might have happened, maybe she got the novel, and didnt know the passes were in there. Then after she passed the book was donated to Goodwill.

So, it ended up a nice ending. The son's got a piece of their fathers military history.

THanks to all who helped me!

Sincerely

Chad