Moth nipping, where does it come from?

hawkdriver

gunbarrel,

LOL....

I imagine one day that I would like to visit Florida...but I must say this......if I saw

another cockroach that was as big as a cigarette pack, I'd be runnin!

Living here in Canada....or the "Great North" as some call it, I must admit....there isn't too many types of huge

insects, or at least that I am aware of anyhow.

About the closest thing that I can think of, would be a june-bug....they are big enough, or at least big enough that

when they fly around at night and hit my head....I definately know they are there!

Some folks don't like dogs....Some don't like cats....I just don't like nasty insects like cockroaches, etc!

I know a guy who lives in Florida, but he doesn't have any problems with cockroaches being inside his place,

but has seen them outside before at times.

We are presently in the process of moving to another place right now, actually a new province....it is way too

dry and warm that there are no large nasty insects....but black widow spiders are common, including a hoard of

rattlesnakes!

How big are the cockroaches in Florida, what is the biggest you have encountered before? As big as a cigarette

pack? A family member of mine was in Hawaii years ago and said that even though a hotel might be a five star

place, that cockroaches are still present, as she could hear them in the bathroom sink at night? Is this true?

For how harmful they are to militaria, not exactly sure....don't really know too much about that.

I just know that after reading this thread, Silverfish are quite the enemy towards militaria....and of course,

the more well-known cases with moths.

Duffy

88thcollector
gunbarrel,

LOL....

I imagine one day that I would like to visit Florida...but I must say this......if I saw

another cockroach that was as big as a cigarette pack, I'd be runnin!

Living here in Canada....or the "Great North" as some call it, I must admit....there isn't too many types of huge

insects, or at least that I am aware of anyhow.

About the closest thing that I can think of, would be a june-bug....they are big enough, or at least big enough that

when they fly around at night and hit my head....I definately know they are there!

Some folks don't like dogs....Some don't like cats....I just don't like nasty insects like cockroaches, etc!

I know a guy who lives in Florida, but he doesn't have any problems with cockroaches being inside his place,

but has seen them outside before at times.

We are presently in the process of moving to another place right now, actually a new province....it is way too

dry and warm that there are no large nasty insects....but black widow spiders are common, including a hoard of

rattlesnakes!

How big are the cockroaches in Florida, what is the biggest you have encountered before? As big as a cigarette

pack? A family member of mine was in Hawaii years ago and said that even though a hotel might be a five star

place, that cockroaches are still present, as she could hear them in the bathroom sink at night? Is this true?

For how harmful they are to militaria, not exactly sure....don't really know too much about that.

I just know that after reading this thread, Silverfish are quite the enemy towards militaria....and of course,

the more well-known cases with moths.

Duffy

Hi,

I would say that the Hawaii story is true. If you live in the tropics or sub-tropics, you have to deal with roaches. The good news about the big roaches (aka: palmetto bugs, water bugs) is that they seldom infest houses. The come in in search of moisture in dry times or dryness during extended rain. They don't want to be inside and are trying to get out when you see them. They die is a few days and do not reproduce inside. They will eat anything in the meantime, however.

I am off to Quebec soon for a couple of weeks. I'll trade some big roaches for the swarms of biting insects in Canada. In Canada, it seems that any bug with wings will bite you. At least you can stomp on the huge roaches.

Steve

Salvage Sailor

We call the big cockroaches "B-52's" here in Hawaii.

88thcollector,

LOL....Enjoy your visit to Quebec! I have never been there.

The only bugs I keep an eye out here for, would be Moths....because of my collection.

I saw a fairly large one recently, sure glad it never got inside my place!

That thing would've eaten the couch!

Duffy

Salvage Sailor,

Why do you guys in Hawaii call the big ones B-52's?

You'll have to post a photo of one sometime!

I really do not know about how bad they are towards militaria....but judging by the size of the two

that I had seen, man....wouldn't feel so good having any around!

Duffy

Thanks for the heads up! I knew silverfish ate cellulose (paper, etc) but wasn't aware they ate wool too.

I have silverfish in my attic among some old books and papers. I tend to forget that they like to dine on wool, too. And when the attic gets to hot, they roam around the house. I bought some white powder to scatter around the attic. Assume it has boron and such in it. My wife hated the stuff and thought it would was a form of DDT or something toxic. Looked innocuous to me.

My Dad had his WW2 uniform and after becoming widowed, he moved into a small, old house that was out in the "sticks" in Mississiippi. Only 1 year or so went by and he took out his tunic and the back of it was in shreds. Nothing could be done but cut off the buttons and remove the insignia.

Photo of Dad wearing his tunic in 1991 before it was eaten up.

NFCole1991.jpg

I live in the South and I worry about a repeat of this. I'm using cedar and perfumed moth balls. Some uniforms are in bags but I don't bag them all.

Steve

hawkdriver

I will never fear cockroaches again. Once you have one of these crawl across your bunk, it sets the benchmark for scarry bugs. I found this crawling across my bunk in Iraq after coming back from a shower one morning.

2cn9w77.jpg

hawkdriver

I don't have a clue. All I know is that it had taken up residence in this black ACH helmet that I had at the end of my bed, it creaped me out so bad that I decided that I was going to have to sell the helmet in case it left it's eggs inside of it! No way I wanted those things in my house!!! :D

Ummmm....... :blink::unsure: Oh well......at least that bug isn't quite as ugly as my prom date.

Arch

Just a little side comment... I recently purchased a severely moth nipped WWI Army First Sgt patch that has a small memorial red/white/blue ribbon bow pinned to the top of it - a couple of the chevrons are barely holding, the felt eaten away down to the threads.

It's one of my most treasured patches in a collection of almost a thousand. Totally worthless monetarily, I suppose... but a very very touching piece.

In other words, just one instance of when the nips are, in effect, "desirable."

I'm sure others have similar artifacts among their things.

All I know is that it had taken up residence in this black ACH helmet that I had at the end of my bed, it creaped me out so bad that I decided that I was going to have to sell the helmet in case it left it's eggs inside of it! No way I wanted those things in my house!!!

I guess there is some truth to the movie "Aliens".

Cobrahistorian
I will never fear cockroaches again. Once you have one of these crawl across your bunk, it sets the benchmark for scarry bugs. I found this crawling across my bunk in Iraq after coming back from a shower one morning.

2cn9w77.jpg

GARTHIM!!!!!

(anyone seen "The Dark Crystal"?)

Salvage Sailor
Salvage Sailor,

Why do you guys in Hawaii call the big ones B-52's?

You'll have to post a photo of one sometime!

I really do not know about how bad they are towards militaria....but judging by the size of the two

that I had seen, man....wouldn't feel so good having any around!

Duffy

A. They are huge

B. They fly

C. They buzz you from altitude & usually scare the cr@p out of you

cmjordan77

Actually that bug shell is from a cicada, and they are HARMLESS. If you are outside on a hot summer night and you hear those dam bugs making all kinds of racket, down in South Carolina you will know what I am talking about, they are from these cicada's. I swear they look scary, and I have seen some longer than my middle finger (thats the truth!), but they are 100% harmless.

:)

Google them and you will see what Im talking about.

I am about 99.9% sure this is what you have. But I am no bug expert

mpguy80/08

I use a spray by Ortho around my house. It is Indoor/Outdoor safe, and can be sprayed around the baseboards inside, and along the foundation outside. I have used it for the year I've been here, and so far it hasnt stained the carpets or anything. I dont think it would be a good idea to apply it to or very near your uniforms and gear, but it does work well at keeping them out, or killing what does get in. Make sure you spray along the outsides of the windows and doorways into the house as well. Anything crossing the barrier will die. Period. Ants, pill bugs, spiders... you name it. It's called Home Defense Max, and it comes in a big white gallon jug with an attached sprayer. Twice a year applications keep me relatively bug free year round. The ones I do see are twitchin and ready to die. Hope this helps.

Wayne

radmanpatches

My wife has been wanting me for years to "finish" the basement where I have my collection. After reading this thread, I'm going to start making calls. i always wondered about the "moth nips", I have seen the silverfish, now their days are numbered! Thanks guys for some great info..."kill them damn things"!

Mark

cherokee tj

Go to the Drug Store and buy some boric acid and sprinkle it around the baseboard, will get rid of siverfish and roaches, sprinkle some in your shoes and it will get rid of itchy feet too.

2cn9w77.jpg

I'm pretty sure I saw those in the movie Starship Troopers.

I'm pretty sure I saw those in the movie Starship Troopers.

Maybe that is where it was filmed, Iraq! Go figure, still fighting them in the future! What I liked about this little bugger was the effective use of cammo paint.

Wayne, thanks for the great recommendation on the "Home Defense Max." WHile I'm in civilization right now, I'll get a gallon to take home with me in a couple weeks.

Thrasher