Show your 29th Stuff!

FW12

Hey Gentlemen and Ladies,

I think its about time we pulled those 29th Infantry Division items out of the closet and off those shelves and put them up for everyone to look at! Anything: uniforms, helmets, documents, groupings - ANY PERIOD! I'll start off with two of my items!

To get the ball rolling, my one and only WWI 29th Helmet. Really excellent condition and superb insignia!

Beau

post-88-1177124786.jpg

post-88-1177124882.jpg

Up next is one of my WWII M1 29th Helmets. The helmet is fixed bail, hand-painted insignia, real early liner. It looks like it sat in a barn for quite some time (in fact, there's still dirt on the shell and there used to be outdoor debris underneath the webbing, but I got rid of it). It is one of my favorite helmets!

post-88-1177125419.jpg

post-88-1177125456.jpg

I showed this tag on another thread, but here it is again :D

POW dogtag issued at Stalag 12A to PVT Lester Schave . He was captured on 11/23/44 serving with the 175th Infantry , 29th Division. He was liberated at Stalag 2A . He was processed at 12A and transferred to 2A.

shave.JPG

That's real cool Kurt! Come on folks, show some stuff!

Beau

Here's a Type 2 ETO jacket worn by a 29th ID 1SG -- something one does not often see. I suspect he sent it home or it came home in his dufflebag as there is no ruptured duck present.

135_3504__2_.JPG

Here's a Type 2 ETO jacket worn by a 29th ID 1SG -- something one does not often see. I suspect he sent it home or it came home in his dufflebag as there is no ruptured duck present.

And here's a closeup of the important stuff.

135_3505__2_.JPG

Here is another one of my unusual and esoteric POW items :D

It is a wooden cigarette case made probably out of a wooden bedboard by PFC George Daignault of the 175th Infantry , 29th Division . He was captured 10/3/44 .

Both his ASN Service Number and his POW ID # and written on the case. I used the NARA site using his service # to atttribute the item.

On one side of the case he listed all the the places he had been including the POW camps he was in . The last camp was Stalag 7A at Moosberg .

On the other side he listed the date and place he was captured and Liberated : CAPTURED OCT 3, 1944 HONGEND GERMANY - LIBERATED MAY 5, 1945 ( cant read the town name )

Kurt

cig.JPG

cig1.JPG

cig3.JPG

Gil, that is a real nice ETO jacket! Any history on that item?

Kurt, I wish I had your prowess for discovering the truly unusual pieces. You ever decide to sell those, let me know! :D

Beau

Gil, that is a real nice ETO jacket! Any history on that item?

Kurt, I wish I had your prowess for discovering the truly unusual pieces. You ever decide to sell those, let me know! :D

Beau

Thanks Beau! I dont know if its a gift or a curse . I will let you know if I ever part with them.

Kurt

Very nice material shown here and great idea this topic about the 29th division. This is just my favourite :love:

Sometimes, things are going strange.

Kurt, while reading your topic concerning the POW wooden cigarette box I had a strange feeling. The date of Daignault's capture, Oct 3 1944 meant something to me so I just run to my doc and papers.

What I found is interesting. Pfc George E. Daignault was captured during the 175th Rgt offensive to take Breberen, situated at the German border and just next to the main defensive line of the famous Siegfried line. Two other soldiers were also captured that day. They are Pfc Leland E. Lee and Pfc (later corporal) Thomas M. Linneman.

Tom Linneman was from L/175th and I have had the honor to meet him in Normandy in 1994 and in Valley Forge PA in 1995. At that time, I just knew he was a replacement joining the 29th division DDay plus 7. He was WIA July 13th near Saint Lo, wounded by a mislanded US shell. He went back to his unit just after the fall of Brest in Sepember and participated with his Bn to the Offensive on Breberen ( the city of Hongen is cited in the report of action but Breberen was the final obj). The 175th was on German soil on Oct 1st.

So Tom Linneman in his memories said he was captured along with a few other men. He wrote he spent 7 months in captivity and was transferred first to Stalag 12 and then to Stalag VIIA in Moosburg -Tom does not write moosberg- (same as Daignault). Tom was liberated April 30 1945 near Munchen.

Considering the fact that Linneman stated he was captured along with other soldiers, and only 3 soldiers are considered MIA in the 175th report for the date of Oct 3 1944, I just can assume they were captured together so Daignault was also from 3rd Bn 175th. If you are interested, I can photography the 175th report pages.

During another visit to the States in 1998, I was invited at the home of the family of Sherwood H. Hallman (S/Sgt, MEDAL OF HONOR at Brest, KIA at Brest, and buried at Saint James Brittany American cemetery). His son Sherwood Jr has adopted me as his French Son (what an honor!) but it's another long story... Well, while arriving at his home in PA, I was surprised to get a big pack from a 29th vet. It was a gift from Tom Linneman!!! Knowing I was coming to USA but unable to meet with me then, he just sent his uniform to the Hallman's for me. This is how I got his 29th Ike Jacket and 29th shirt. A great present from a great man! I'll send photos later in that post.

If I find more I'll tell you!

Best regards, Yannick ;)

Sadly I have nothing for now for PVT Lester Schave. The 175th report I have stops its mention on MIA to the date of November 11 1944 :( as if the casualties are mentionned to the later date of Dec 22 1944. I just don't know why.

Yannick

Yannick,

What a great story! Its so much fun when I come across coincidences like that when doing stuff with this hobby. For example, I was talking with veterans who were passing through my town on their way to an airborne reunion at Fort Benning around six months ago, fellas from WWII, both American and British. Anyhow, I spent around two hours speaking with a gentleman who had been taken capture at Arnhem Bridge during Market Garden. It was a real treat to talk with him, and the next month I open up my issue of WWII Magazine and there he is, quoted! One of those strange coincidences!

Beau

Yannick

Thanks for the great info! I would love copies of the report that you have on Daignault! Its info like this that breathes life into this material.

Kurt

Johan Willaert

I picked this up at the Belgian Ciney show yesterday from a fellow collector that got it out of an estate sale about a year ago...

Yannick Id'd it back then to: S/Sgt Joseph Applebaum ASN 36722754, HQ/110FA/29ID

PhotoM3-1.jpg

PhotoM3-2.jpg

photoM3-3.jpg

PhotoM3-4.jpg

Enjoy,

Johan

Great M3 Johan!! Realy nice. I'll copy you the mention concerning Applebaum in my book and report if you're interested.

Kurt, here are the copies of the doc about Daignault. Source is 175th report of action for 1944. And my thanks to 29th veteran Dan Relihan from F/175 who offered me a copy of this report years ago...

62swbo0.jpg

4p9quf9.jpg

67iqscp.jpg

And location of L/175th at the date of Oct 3, 1944.

4lpry36.jpg

yannick

From the roster of marylanders serving in the 29th: (note the mention of capt Bill Boykin!)

5x5c2td.jpg

4xwnvnm.jpg

from 110th History

Roster from oct 5 1942 at the date of departure to England. Applebaum appears in Operation platoon as Corporal.

5yk19tt.jpg

roster from June 44 to may 1945

4kz4rd5.jpg

4ue9wug.jpg

Yannick.