Original Vietnam Graffiti Helmets

DiGilio

Theres some nice pictures at that link.

Kind of off topic, but does anyone know more about the particular watch band in the photo Andrei just posted? I picked the same one up from a vet a while ago and since then have been noticing these same cheaply made brown (looks like this guy colored his black) watch bands in photos. These particular bands seem to of shown up about 1969 being sold by Vietnamese vendors. All the photos I remember seeing of them were in III CTZ.

We should keep photos like that in this thread :http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77718&hl=graffiti

and keep this one for original helmets in collections.

post-467-1282684179.jpg

American soldier (w. skull & crossbones drawn on his helmet) questions an older Vietnamese man after US troops retook the town from occupying Viet Cong forces.

Date taken: 1967

Photographer: Larry Burrows

post-467-1282684213.png

Beau-Brummel
We should keep photos like that in this thread :http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77718&hl=graffiti

and keep this one for original helmets in collections.

I assume you are joking!

I assume you are joking!

No?

Forum_Supports thread is of Helmet Graffiti on helmets in country... like the photos being posted lately, DiGilio's thread is original graffiti helmets from collections. Why would I be joking?

Beau-Brummel
No?

Forum_Supports thread is of Helmet Graffiti on helmets in country... like the photos being posted lately, DiGilio's thread is original graffiti helmets from collections. Why would I be joking?

I just thought you might be kidding. Joe seems glad to see good period Images In his thread.

Remove period pictures and these threads just turn Into pissing contests. I don't understand how you could possibly think that period Images are not germane to the subject matter.

By your logic this Is ok.

post-1781-1282809994.jpg

Beau-Brummel

But this Is not.

Very strange; and before you tell me pics of pieces In ones collection are ok I will pre-empt you and say, what's the difference?

post-1781-1282810208.jpg

I just thought you might be kidding. Joe seems glad to see good period Images In his thread.

Remove period pictures and these threads just turn Into pissing contests. I don't understand how you could possibly think that period Images are not germane to the subject matter.

By your logic this Is ok.

Yeah, Id like period images here. Preferably just the interesting, unusual or good photographs though (since theres so many out there of helmet graffiti).

I noticed some members had added photos, so I thought I'd add some that I took with the 9th Div in '68. The PIO guy is Wayne Campbell who was assigned to 2/39th, he's being bandgaged after getting hit by shrapnel from an airstrike...

I haven't tried an upload before, so hopefully this worked...if it didn't...please be gentle...I'm a vir.... :unsure:

post-14358-1282916771.jpg

OK, that one seemed to work...if memory serves...this guy was with one of our Mech units...5/60th or 2/47th...

post-14358-1282917018.jpg

Capt. Johnson, Charlie Co., 2/39th...not sure if this actually qualifies as helmet grafitti...but the bars are drawn on, so I figured I'd throw it in...

post-14358-1282917219.jpg

I've debated putting this one up for a few reasons. It's, let's say "powerful"...but it has to be put into context. Also, I took hundreds and hundreds of pics and, frankly, although I can remember having this throughout most of the time I was on the Team, I really can't remember taking it...so it may be someone else's pic that I just grabbed cuz it was cool. Anyway here it is... (the copy I have is very, very yellow...so this one is photoshopped)

post-14358-1282917788.jpg

I'd appreciate it if no one copied the above photos or, if you do, don't distribute them. Their for member reference only. Thanks.

Excellent pictures noexpert!

SOme more covers:

505th Infantry Regiment

Thread: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...c=82338&hl=

The writing on the cover (all on brown side) is:

"Bonitas Mujeros"

"Puerto Rico"

"'69' Breakfast of Champions EAT A BOX A DAY"

"PBR"

And a drawing of a middle finger and what looks like tally marks

IMG_6508.jpg

IMG_6510-1.jpg

IMG_6522.jpg

IMG_6505.jpg

Thank you for the compliments. I'd like to do that, but I have no idea how to, :crying:

Perhaps you could PM a moderator and see if they can help you? :think:

Perhaps you could PM a moderator and see if they can help you? :think:

Thanks for the suggestion. I sucked it up and found out how to do it w/ Photoshop...problem is now I'm addicted to it... :crying: