• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 vivera1288

vivera1288
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,966
  • 66 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:34 PM

I have a grouping of about 150 slides that my brother had taken while in Vietnam in 65-66. Anyone know of a place that will put them on CD or is able to print them on photos?

#2 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 26,631 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 10:07 PM

I have a grouping of about 150 slides that my brother had taken while in Vietnam in 65-66. Anyone know of a place that will put them on CD or is able to print them on photos?

I think it's a waste of money to just have them scanned and printed: you want a digital file you can use to make your own prints or web phots.
You want them scanned at high resolution which means you do not want them just scanned at video DVD or even HDTV resolution. Check out http://digmypics.com...deScanning.aspx - I would recommend their 7MP scan: this will provide enough detail that you could crop and enlarge portions of a photo to better see details, and/or make nice size prints.

#3 The Meatcan

The Meatcan
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,208
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 01:14 AM

I think it's a waste of money to just have them scanned and printed: you want a digital file you can use to make your own prints or web phots.
You want them scanned at high resolution which means you do not want them just scanned at video DVD or even HDTV resolution. Check out http://digmypics.com...deScanning.aspx - I would recommend their 7MP scan: this will provide enough detail that you could crop and enlarge portions of a photo to better see details, and/or make nice size prints.

Forum Support - I've got a ton of old steel sleeve slides and I see digmypics will scan those. Do you have any experience you can pass along doing business with this vendor?
Terry

#4 R Michael

R Michael
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,387
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:58 AM

Hi, I would think about asking around your group of friends and see if anyone has a nice middle of the road scanner that can scan color slides ask them to help you out.
I bought an HP G series scanner that can scan a good number of slides at a time and it does very well. Cost me under $200.00 but would be prohibitive if all you were going to do was scan those 150 slides.

I had done that for a co-worker whos father served on the CVS-33. i bought the slides and scanned all 200+ and made a slide show for a DVD for her.

Good luck.

Mike

#5 sgtdorango

sgtdorango
  • Members
    • Member ID: 350
  • 12,490 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 03:11 PM

I agree, you should buy your own slide scanner, it will probably be cheaper than getting them done and you can always do more with your own machine, I bought one for my parents to scan all their slides......mike

#6 Mr.Jerry

Mr.Jerry

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 119
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 04:36 AM

For my purposes, i wasn;t that concerned over resolution, and scanning would take too much time. So I just set up a slide projector, but my digital cam on a tripod and in about 15 min had a slide show. I dumped it into the windows moviemaker and uploaded to youtube:

#7 sgtdorango

sgtdorango
  • Members
    • Member ID: 350
  • 12,490 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:22 PM

Thats a great solution too!!!..good ol' American ingenuity ...nice slide show!.....mike

#8 the330thbg

the330thbg
  • Members
    • Member ID: 158,328
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:37 AM

I recently acquired close to 80 negative prints.., they look like slides.., larger.., but they have the 'negative' image on them.

Anyone know how I can get these scanned into a decent photo?

#9 Rakkasan187

Rakkasan187
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,554
  • 5,917 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:47 AM

A few years ago I picked up several hundred negatives in a German collection. There were pictures of German Aircraft as well as numerous Concentration Camp pictures. I took them to a local photographer and he was able to make prints of all the pictures.

It cost about $175.00 but it was well worth it. Some very interesting and graphic photos.

Leigh

#10 the330thbg

the330thbg
  • Members
    • Member ID: 158,328
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 June 2015 - 08:16 AM

A few years ago I picked up several hundred negatives in a German collection. There were pictures of German Aircraft as well as numerous Concentration Camp pictures. I took them to a local photographer and he was able to make prints of all the pictures.

It cost about $175.00 but it was well worth it. Some very interesting and graphic photos.

Leigh

ok.. I was hoping I could somehow digitally scan them.., then do a 'reverse' in a photo software to get the 'print' out of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users