10 replies to this topic

#1 korea drab

korea drab
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,820
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 06:40 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=250448633039
71 dollars for a camo cover current issue?
Why?
Thanks in advance for response

#2 Philip

Philip
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,243
  • 737 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:46 AM

i don't know why either. i saw the same cover going for 150$ several times. same with the coyote brown molle stuff. some pouches go for over 100 bucks on ebay. i collect modern usmc equipment too but i'll never pay that much for it. the prices are just crazy... i think the airsoft bunch is to blame.

#3 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 26,550 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 09:14 AM

i don't know why either. i saw the same cover going for 150$ several times. same with the coyote brown molle stuff. some pouches go for over 100 bucks on ebay. i collect modern usmc equipment too but i'll never pay that much for it. the prices are just crazy... i think the airsoft bunch is to blame.

I live next to Camp Pendleton and you just don't see those covers floating around at thrift stores, garage sales, etc.

#4 Duffy

Duffy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,647
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 12:03 AM

Most of the time, they are up there in price........not sure why.

I remember when they first came out, I think I paid $ 250 for mine....but they hadn't even been fully issued out
at the time...so I understood why the high price was there.

When the acu was released, it was expensive stuff....then after a while it went way down....why not the
USMC marpat / desert marpat ones? Thats a good question.

$ 71 is actually fair for an unissued one with a tag....the lowest that I have seen recently was $ 75 - $ 85.

If it is used, I wouldn't pay that for it, unless you want it very bad.

You could always check out thrift-stores? Thats where the seller got the ones I had purchased years back! LOL.
I paid full price of course....thats how business goes I guess.....at the time, I wanted an example really bad, so I had no problem paying the amount!

Duffy

#5 Schnicklfritz

Schnicklfritz
  • Members
    • Member ID: 115
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 03:55 PM

There are actually a few variations on these new USMC MARPAT helmet covers. Here are 3 that I've seen:

1) USMC lightweight helmet issued with the web suspension liner system. This cover has longer velcro tabs to loop around the web suspension for securing the cover to the helmet.

2) USMC lightweight helmet issued with the foam pad liner system. This cover has shorter velcro tabs that attach between the velcro retaining strips on the helmet shell and the helmet's foam pads.

3) MICH/ACH helmet cover. This style has the cutout on the front of the cover for the 3 screw nightvision mount and a cutout for the battery pack on the rear with velcro closures. I don't have one of this style, so I can't say what kind of velcro tabs it has, but they are probably the short ones for the foam pad liner system. This particular helmet cover seems to be the hardest to find.

These are the 3 variations that I'm aware of at present. They do tend to go high on Ebay, but sometimes they sell cheap also.

Edited by Schnicklfritz, 29 June 2009 - 03:58 PM.

#6 Duffy

Duffy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,647
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 04:08 PM

Schnicklfritz,

Great coverage on the variations....

I'm not sure what exact model this thread is referring to, but I myself...was referring to the original one that was
released for the old Kevlar.....I was just on Ebay and do know what you are speaking about in regards to the LW
types, I came across one and it wasn't high in price just yet, I imagine it'll go up by the end of auction though...as all of them seem to do.
Cheers.

Duffy

#7 AndyUSMC

AndyUSMC
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,988
  • 240 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 04:40 AM

These Marpat helmet covers are USMC property. Marines buy their own Marpat Uniforms, shirt and trousers. The helmet covers are issued with the helmet. When a Marine transfers to a new duty station they have to turn the helmet and cover into supply so it can be issued to someone else. If a marine looses any of his Marine Corps owned gear, he has to pay the Marine Corp for a replacement. As of now the Marine Corps is not releasing any Marpat uniforms, or helmet covers through the surplus system.

#8 Schnicklfritz

Schnicklfritz
  • Members
    • Member ID: 115
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:50 AM

These Marpat helmet covers are USMC property. Marines buy their own Marpat Uniforms, shirt and trousers. The helmet covers are issued with the helmet. When a Marine transfers to a new duty station they have to turn the helmet and cover into supply so it can be issued to someone else. If a marine looses any of his Marine Corps owned gear, he has to pay the Marine Corp for a replacement. As of now the Marine Corps is not releasing any Marpat uniforms, or helmet covers through the surplus system.

The newest cover that I have has a price tag on it from a Marine base PX and it was sold for $12.00. It is a proper USMC issued cover marked identically to the other ones I have.

Funny now that I think of it, I have only seen two makers, one being American Power Source and the Lion's Club for the Blind. Anyone have another contract maker??

#9 Philip

Philip
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,243
  • 737 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:17 AM

Anyone have another contract maker??

no, just the two you've mentioned.

#10 korea drab

korea drab
  • Members
    • Member ID: 1,820
  • 1,624 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 06:16 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/...em=250448633039
71 dollars for a camo cover current issue?
Why?
Thanks in advance for response

Pictures for reference....
_BSKsen_BWk___KGrHgoOKiEEjlLmgM5VBKBzWGgbL____12.jpg
_BSKsQ4QBWk___KGrHgoOKjsEjlLmVqugBKBzVek5hg___12.jpg

#11 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,845 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 07:08 PM

the first version was issued...the second now that they're fully distributed can be purchased at uniform sales as replacements. I've only ever used the first version...still have the one I was issued in 2005

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users