752nd Tank Battalion Grouping

wildcat123

I have been itching to buy a new, named grouping and purchased this one from Bay State last night. I will post more pics when it arrives. My first armor related militaria... I'm excited. A few pics from the website.

post-1095-1245956529.jpg

post-1095-1245956535.jpg

IMPERIAL QUEST

Ahhhhhh, so you are the guilty party... Do you plan to display all of the items similar to how Scott had them arranged for the shoot?

I have been itching to buy a new, named grouping and purchased this one from Bay State last night. I will post more pics when it arrives. My first armor related militaria... I'm excited. A few pics from the website.

Very nice. Isn't this the same unit that suffered very heavy casualties after D-Day and later in their "Ronson (lighter)" Sherman tanks? Once a German tank spotted one the odds were overwhelming the Sherman would be destroyed.

I'm not sure how I will display it yet, I need to go mannequin shopping for sure... and move out some stuff in my tiny man cave.

From what I've read since last night, I believe this unit fought primarily in Italy.

Very nice. Isn't this the same unit that suffered very heavy casualties after D-Day and later in their "Ronson (lighter)" Sherman tanks? Once a German tank spotted one the odds were overwhelming the Sherman would be destroyed.

Nice group. I was right behind you....... ;)

River Patrol

One of the best groups I've seen!

I wanted it too, but was too late.

BayState has had some nice armor stuff in the past year. One of the sets was mine. It was my last armor group of 3 that I've found over the years, so I'm on the hunt for one stunning group...this one was it. Too bad I didn't email him sooner.

A great set for your first armor group!

Great buy Tyler! I saw this grouping this morning but it's way out of my budget. Nice to see a member get it. (Although I figured Jim or Erwin would have beaten you to the punch on it.) When you get it, I hope you post some nice close ups of the items.

Troy

Thank you everyone for the kind words, I will get some better pics when it arrives next week. I was surprised I was the first to email, I had to do some begging with the wife :rolleyes:

Now, who wants to buy a helmet? Helmets for sale!!

Awesome group...you got a hell of a deal.

Check with Display Fashions on ebay.

They sell mannequins very reasonably and they are high quality stuff.

I have four of their full size male mannequins. Due to the weight and size of box the shipping is costly...though worth it.

Cheers

Eventhough I'm not into MTO, I still find this an amazing grouping.

Congratulations!

I hope to find a 4th AD grouping like that oe day (or 704th TD Bn).

Erwin

I can't add anything else to the other guys here.

It's one hell of a killer grouping !

Myself I hope to find one day a 26th ID grouping like this.

Thanks for sharing !

Silvano

PS. May I ask what BayState is?? :blush:

Isn't this the same unit that suffered very heavy casualties after D-Day and later in their "Ronson (lighter)" Sherman tanks?

The 752nd Tank Battalion was a great unit that fought in Italy. It was attached to the 88th Infantry Division for most of the time during the last 11 months of the war. Not sure when it arrived in Italy. The 752nd Tank Battalion may have been attached to the 34th Infantry Division and maybe supported 1st Armored Division. I would have to check the 1AD unit history to see if it is mentioned there.

Here are a few quotes:

//Advance on Rome, 2 days before D-Day//

And from Maj. Gen. Geoffrey M. Keyes, II Corps Commander, came word to the 88th that it had been honored by a new assignment in the final drive for Rome-and that the Corps Commander was confident it would be the first in. On 2 June, having moved back into the line with the 3rd Division on the right and the 85th on the left, the 88th attacked to the northwest to capture the eastern entrance to Rome on Highway 6 and cut off and destroy the retreating enemy. The 340th Infantry, minus one battalion, was attached to the 3rd Division for this operation and the remaining battalion was sent with the Howze Task Force. The 351st was directed to attack northwest, protect division flanks and maintain contact with the neighboring division and with the 350th until that unit advanced abreast of the 351st. In support of the 351st was the 752nd Tank Battalion.

//April 1945 - Capture of Bologna//

Following on the heels of the enemy withdrawal, several Allied units entered Bologna simultaneously on the 21st. Polish Corps elements from Rudforce, having battled across the Idice River along Highway 9 the day before, entered from the southeast, while from the II Corps on the south elements of the Legnano Group, the 34th Division, and the 91st Division drove into the city from their positions in the hills. The city had been evacuated by the enemy during the night.

The 3rd Battalion, 133rd Infantry, mounted on tanks of the 752nd Tank Battalion, were the first II Corps troops to enter Bologna. The remainder of the 34th Division moved into the city later in the day and passed to direct command of the Fifth Army to garrison the city. The Legnano Group, after being among the first elements to enter Bologna on the 21st, assembled southwest of the city in II Corps reserve.

//Attack of the Adige Line, April 1945 //

In a 24-hour dash along Highway 11, troops of the 1st Battalion, 350th, rode armor of the 752nd Tank Battalion and the 805th Tank Destroyer Battalion to take Vicenza, another Fifth Army objective and a key communications center. Bitter house-to-house fighting raged here before the city fell and this lightning move east trapped thousands of Germans from more than six divisions.

As had happened twice previously in the offensive, Maj. Gen. Kendall's forward CP convoyed into the city while a tank battle raged. Sniper fire continued for several hours and headquarters personnel helped round up the Kraut marksmen. The "Blue Devils" swift dash from Verona to Vicenza knifed through the Adige Line on which the Germans had counted to delay Allied forces before the Alps. The 88th had moved so fast that the Krauts were unable to withdraw to their Adige Line positions and hundreds of emplacements -- with guns in place and pointed south -- were unoccupied and far to the rear of the spearheading 88th.

//another source, 1945//

Amidst heavy rainfall on April 27 the 350th Infantry continued racing the enemy toward Vicenza, approximately 30 miles east of Verona and 20 miles northwest of Padua. As the Second Battalion moved east almost 22 miles this day, it encountered only light enemy resistance. As the First Battalion marched ten miles along Highway 11 to Perarota during the day, the Third Battalion followed in trace. Since heavy rain impeded movement and visibility and since the First Battalion moved rapidly, it encountered pockets of the enemy at different intervals. At 2130 it was held up by a short fire fight, but tanks came to its assistance and the battalion moved out again shortly thereafter. It was then organized into a task force under the command of Colonel Fry, with the 752nd Tank Battalion and the 805th Tank Destroyers as support.

DUI of 752 Tank Battalion

DUI_752TD.jpg

Steve

GREAT INFO!!! Thanks so much. :thumbsup:

The 752nd Tank Battalion was a great unit that fought in Italy. It was attached to the 88th Infantry Division for most of the time during the last 11 months of the war. Not sure when it arrived in Italy. The 752nd Tank Battalion may have been attached to the 34th Infantry Division and maybe supported 1st Armored Division. I would have to check the 1AD unit history to see if it is mentioned there.

Here are a few quotes:

And from Maj. Gen. Geoffrey M. Keyes, II Corps Commander, came word to the 88th that it had been honored by a new assignment in the final drive for Rome-and that the Corps Commander was confident it would be the first in. On 2 June, having moved back into the line with the 3rd Division on the right and the 85th on the left, the 88th attacked to the northwest to capture the eastern entrance to Rome on Highway 6 and cut off and destroy the retreating enemy. The 340th Infantry, minus one battalion, was attached to the 3rd Division for this operation and the remaining battalion was sent with the Howze Task Force. The 351st was directed to attack northwest, protect division flanks and maintain contact with the neighboring division and with the 350th until that unit advanced abreast of the 351st. In support of the 351st was the 752nd Tank Battalion.

Following on the heels of the enemy withdrawal, several Allied units entered Bologna simultaneously on the 21st. Polish Corps elements from Rudforce, having battled across the Idice River along Highway 9 the day before, entered from the southeast, while from the II Corps on the south elements of the Legnano Group, the 34th Division, and the 91st Division drove into the city from their positions in the hills. The city had been evacuated by the enemy during the night.

The 3rd Battalion, 133rd Infantry, mounted on tanks of the 752nd Tank Battalion, were the first II Corps troops to enter Bologna. The remainder of the 34th Division moved into the city later in the day and passed to direct command of the Fifth Army to garrison the city. The Legnano Group, after being among the first elements to enter Bologna on the 21st, assembled southwest of the city in II Corps reserve.

In a 24-hour dash along Highway 11, troops of the 1st Battalion, 350th, rode armor of the 752nd Tank Battalion and the 805th Tank Destroyer Battalion to take Vicenza, another Fifth Army objective and a key communications center. Bitter house-to-house fighting raged here before the city fell and this lightning move east trapped thousands of Germans from more than six divisions.

As had happened twice previously in the offensive, Maj. Gen. Kendall's forward CP convoyed into the city while a tank battle raged. Sniper fire continued for several hours and headquarters personnel helped round up the Kraut marksmen. The "Blue Devils" swift dash from Verona to Vicenza knifed through the Adige Line on which the Germans had counted to delay Allied forces before the Alps. The 88th had moved so fast that the Krauts were unable to withdraw to their Adige Line positions and hundreds of emplacements -- with guns in place and pointed south -- were unoccupied and far to the rear of the spearheading 88th.

//another source, 1945//

Amidst heavy rainfall on April 27 the 350th Infantry continued racing the enemy toward Vicenza, approximately 30 miles east of Verona and 20 miles northwest of Padua. As the Second Battalion moved east almost 22 miles this day, it encountered only light enemy resistance. As the First Battalion marched ten miles along Highway 11 to Perarota during the day, the Third Battalion followed in trace. Since heavy rain impeded movement and visibility and since the First Battalion moved rapidly, it encountered pockets of the enemy at different intervals. At 2130 it was held up by a short fire fight, but tanks came to its assistance and the battalion moved out again shortly thereafter. It was then organized into a task force under the command of Colonel Fry, with the 752nd Tank Battalion and the 805th Tank Destroyers as support.

DUI_752TD.jpg

Steve

Bob Holt had a great site for the 752nd. It included an incredible amount of information and stories related from his father who was a 752nd tanker.

Unfortunately, when Bob retired, he retired the site too. I really miss that one.

Steve,

Good info there. Thanks!!

Great Grouping.

There was a guy named Bob Holt who had a website. I checked and it is closed down. His father (Tom?) was a member of this battalion. I ran new searches and turned up no new site. Bummer. He was dedicated to researching that unit and there is very little on these units. Most history books tend to omit any mention of these Tank and Tank Destroyer Battalions. Even the unit histories of Infantry Divisions and Armored Divisions tend to down-play their role. The 1st Armored Division book is very good at recognizing these attached units that formed into their Task Forces and/or Combat Commands, where were combined units for rapid movement.

The previous quotes were from my website, these pages:

Liberation of Vicenza

We Were There: History of 88th Division

The Capture of Imola

If you want someplace to "display" your 752 tunic, I would like to have a photo to put on my website as an illustration of uniforms and patches. IM me.

Steve "Custermen"

---Oops, I should have read all the posts.--

The 752nd earned the Distinguished Unit Citation for action in the Po Valley Campaign for period of 22 April to 2 May 1945 that was issued by the War Department GO # 115(?) in 1946.

Steve

Here are a few quotes:

//another source, 1945//

DUI_752TD.jpg

Steve

Your DI depicted is that for the 29th Tank Bn. Both Capistrano and Sawicki indicate this is the correct approved design for the 752nd Tank Bn:

post-622-1246320477.jpg