A rare U.S. Army award: the Imjin Scout Badge

PD Sergeant

WOW..

When I hear the term Imjim Scout badge I realize I'm getting kinda old..

Walked a lot of DMZ ground to earn that silly little badge ...GP Collier, GP Oulette, GP128, Camp Liberty Bell, 4P-1, Warrior base, Camp Greaves, QRF, Guardpost duty, Recon and ambush Patrols

Here's a little assortment of gear that goes with the badge...

Kration

Retired 11 Bravo

1/9 Camp Greaves

1/31 Camp Howze (P.F.C. Joseph P White defected Aug 26-82)

1/503 Camp Hovey

1/5 Camp Hovey

I'm hoping I'm just misreading this, because I just simply cannot imagine this, but would you mind providing some info about PFC White, please?

Thanks for sharing Kration!

G

PD Sergeant

Manchu - you're right, I was asking you. Sorry for the confusion.

Arclight - Those are great examples of the cloth badges. Do you have any information on the example second from the right? I've never seen another one like it.

You read K-ration's post correctly. On 28 August 1982 Pfc. White, a member of 1/31 Inf, shot the lock off of a gate at guard post Oulette and defected to N. Korea. The N. Koreans claim that he drown on 17 August 1985.

Manchu - you're right, I was asking you. Sorry for the confusion.

Arclight - Those are great examples of the cloth badges. Do you have any information on the example second from the right? I've never seen another one like it.

You read K-ration's post correctly. On 28 August 1982 Pfc. White, a member of 1/31 Inf, shot the lock off of a gate at guard post Oulette and defected to N. Korea. The N. Koreans claim that he drown on 17 August 1985.

That is just unthinkable; why anyone would think they would have it better in the North is just absolutely beyond comprehension. Do you think he really drowned, or are they just hiding him, or perhaps he finally realized how bad he mis-judged and tried to re-defect? Traitor. I don't really have any info on that particular patch except that I bought it off ebay, along with the one on its left; they looked pretty salty and really appealed to me. When I have a chance, I'll post a pic of the display of those patches I just put together.

Am very interested in all of the pics and paraphanelia that's been posted, so if y'all have any extras you want to see they get a good home, please give me a holler!

BTW, are the NK's still putting out leaflets? I ask 'cuz of the ones posted above.

Thanks,

G

Oh, one last thing: I love that sargent's uniform, mostly due to nepotism, as that's my last name!

So here's the strange thing about that roller buckle. I'm not at all familiar with the asian languages, but doesn't the imprint on the back shown below, look Chinese?

post-297-1246167133.jpg

Here are my variations of the badge. I also had this Scouts Out pocket hanger with these....but I don't know what it is? The arrowhead is the same, and if anyone can tell me what it is, that would be great. THANKS!

post-2063-1246195269.jpg

• 3 years later...

A couple of pictures of Major Roger Donlon, first Vietnam Medal of Honor recipient, as the commanding officer of the Advanced Combat Training Academy graduates (ACTA) in 1967. Note both officers are wearing the Imjin Scout badge and the caps appear to have A.C.T.A. embroidered above the rank insignia

post-1761-0-25600800-1371485133.jpg

post-1761-0-01715400-1371485357.jpg

Thanks to PD and all who added to his thread!

I have some patches I obtained years ago, but never knew about the badge (or the patches in all honesty). The in-country photos posted along with the additional info were awesome, this has been a very informative thread and a great read.

Best wishes to you all!

Joe

• 2 weeks later...
seanmc1114

Is this the patch forum?

The topic appears where the original poster placed it. But yes, it should probably be moved to either the Qualification Badges or Patches forum.

• 2 years later...
  • 11 months later...
Patchcollector

Nice patches and badges everyone!Here is a Imjin Scouts badge with a white background.All of the badges I've seen before had a black background.Anyone know why the color difference?

post-13386-0-25323800-1477320283_thumb.jpg

Here are my variations of the badge. I also had this Scouts Out pocket hanger with these....but I don't know what it is? The arrowhead is the same, and if anyone can tell me what it is, that would be great. THANKS!

I believe the Recondo badge used the arrow design. Perhaps this is a reference to the Recondo badge which would, IMO, make sense for a Scouts badge.

Gary B

• 2 months later...

Soldiers of the 1st Battalion 9th Infantry c. 1979-1980. Note the soldier on the left is wearing the Imjin Scout patch while the soldier on the right is wearing some sort of Recondo patch and locally applied eppaulettes and leadership tabs on his OG-107 fatigue shirt.

post-1761-0-68049400-1483804142_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Soldiers of the 1st Battalion 9th Infantry c. 1979-1980. Note the soldier on the left is wearing the Imjin Scout patch while the soldier on the right is wearing some sort of Recondo patch and locally applied eppaulettes and leadership tabs on his OG-107 fatigue shirt.

I got the same pocket patch !

post-162492-0-59310400-1503248619_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...