Captain Stephen W Quackenbush USMC 1869 - 1896

teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

It is a pleasure to share with the forum a very scarce set Marine epaulets. I have been asked by another member who acquired these from an East Coast dealer to present these and use in the forum reference section. The Captain was the son of Rear Admiral Stephen Platt Quackenbush who served from 1840 - 1885: http://famousamericans.net/stephenplattquackenbush/ The family estate (and militaria) has been auctioned through a variety of outlets, and sadly appears scattered to the winds.

The Captain served aboard many ships during this time, this picture is a bio of his career and appears period in nature... there is little information about him beyond this and the campaigns he may have participated in or other duties he may have performed.

ui21h.jpg

quack8.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

The following info is extracted from the Museum TM prepared by Col Driscoll in the 70's. In 1869 a new order was published by the adjutant / inspectors office prescribed an EGA for the epaulet's as noted on page 7, to replace the "M" ornament, the size / dimentions are outlined on page 7. Driscoll's notes on page 6 there are no know specimens. In any case, it was not until 1875 the EGA became the sole emblem - and standard. How many early variations are there from that five year period - one can only guess.

With the uniform change(s) of 1892 came a change to the EGA's as well (pages 19-21) an the emblem prescribed for use on the dress epaulets is prescribed on page 19 and shown on page 23 of the TM.

Shown here is the pictures from the dealers web-site.

quack1.jpg quack2.jpg

quack5.jpg quack6.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

And here are the "good" shots... If one is to consider there were a total of 75 USMC Officers during the period of 1876 - 1891, yes these are "scarse"

msg_2974_1244988084.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Note the date on this box, his original's? Did these have an "M" at the outset - was there another set of EGA's prior to these? Anyone...?

msg_2974_1244988379.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

... interesting not here - the eagle head is pointing the wrong way, guess the jeweler saw no harm in that?

msg_2974_1244988155.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

... OK folks anyone see something odd here - a taboo of sorts about Officer emblems? :think:

Quackenbush_EGA_Ronnie_10.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

And seen here is another oddity... anyone? In closing my post, thank you to member "?" for sharing this wonderful find. Step out and take a bow. Semper Fi, Darrell

Copy__3__of_msg_2974_1244988345.jpg

And seen here is another oddity... anyone?

The rope?????

As for pointing the wrong way - well this circa 1892 pair does the same:

ega1900.jpg

teufelhunde.ret
The rope?????

Not the rope. Actually "foulded" cap anchors were used on "the silver Corps" device for the Officers full dress hat & the Officers undress from 1876-1892; The Officers Fatigue cap from 1876 - 1881. And the enlisted undress cap from 1876 - 1892 and fatigue cap from 1876 - 1881. Its something else.

Thank you for posting these for me, I appreciate it very much. I hope everyone gets as much enjoyment out of seeing these as I have over the week or so that I have owned them. I am every interested in the views of others and hope we all learn more as members begin to comment.

SF

Ronnie

Great to see these rare insignia! They are beauties! I think you refer to the fact that the board buttons appear to be US Navy! Also interesting to also note that the silver bullion bars are 'pinned' to the boards.

Based on the Captain's service details and the 1867 date on the box, I think it fair to estimate that these boards and emblems may date to 1869, his year of commissioning or at the latest to his promotion to First Lieutenant in 1877. Thanks for sharing and posting this great reference! :love: :twothumbup:

Semper Fi.........Bobgee

Just to repeat the above, Thanks for Posting this.

I'm wondering if the eagles are facing that way to "always look forward" when worn. Much like when the reversed the US Flag patch to always "Fly forward" during an attack.

Again, Very Cool stuff.

Jon B

Newaygo MI

I think you may have been refering to the fact that the latitude lines are shown going across the Continents on the emblems which is different from the other examples you have posted.

Ronnie

teufelhunde.ret
I'm wondering if the eagles are facing that way to "always look forward" when worn. Much like when the reversed the US Flag patch to always "Fly forward" during an attack.

Hi Jon. In the "early days" when the emblem design was being developed, my sense is the written directives may not have been very clear - dispite actual dimensions being outlined. Thus, its likely the maker (or jewler) did not take into consideration; anchors and eagles will always face forward. We have seen the eagle / anchor mistakes before and some are shown in the reference section. This issue was for the most part over when the next generation of boards came about. Here is example of the follow on boards from my collection - anchors & eagles when mounted on the shoulder would face forward. ;) Semper Fi, Darrell

hill__s_stuff_005.jpg

I think you may have been refering to the fact that the latitude lines are shown going across the Continents on the emblems which is different from the other examples you have posted.

Ronnie

Missed that! Unusual! S/F....Bob

teufelhunde.ret

Ronnie

The earliest emblem examples do have this design component - characteristic pre 1890, here is a link to a TM photo: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=37331 ...I have never seen written reference to this element of the globe design :think:

This photo came from an Ebay sale some years ago... s/f Darrell

0e63_3.jpg

I love seeing these boards. A few nice sets at the PI Museum. maybe I'll get lucky and stumble upon one one day