Great photo of a battle damaged WW II helmet

Championhilz

Here is my other -

Bullet struck vietnam helmet, the bullet has entered the left side again, and travelled between the liner and the helmet. This was a common Occurrence, if you was lucky enough the bullet would follow the shape of the helmet and disperse when its path was no longer rounded and exit on the straight.

This helmet was picked up California for $50, it was hung in a garage, hence the chain. Never seen an in theatre used helmet from Vietnam thats been struck, dont suppose Ill ever see another this damaged and with this much salt.

This was this Vets good luck symbol for sure

post-8861-0-30169000-1571681816_thumb.jpeg

I once met a WWII veteran that had part in his hair where the bullet grazed his scalp enough that he never grew hair there again. no photos unfortunately. I try not to accost people in Walmart but figure they wouldn't wear the veteran hat if they weren't willing for people to ask. He took his hat off and showed me. A gift of the Bulge.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's 2 shots of a marine or corpsman with a bullet hole in his helmet. The biggest hole that you can see is obviously the exit at the back, but you can kind of make out a divot in the front that may be the entry hole. This was from footage at the battle of Tarawa at the 7:47 minute mark:

post-163344-0-09513800-1573770248_thumb.jpgpost-163344-0-18132600-1573770255_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/5/2021 at 4:36 PM, Burning Hazard said:

From eBay. Photo is dated 21 July 1950 (Korean War).

H1.jpg

Nice to see the c-tip sling and type 3 barrel band! 

• 7 months later...
Burning Hazard

Found this while surfing the web

Photo of Jay Gaenzle with his battle damaged M1.

From obituary site:

"He enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Corp in 1942. His vision in one eye precluded him from qualifying as a fighter pilot. He was very disappointed because he loved flying and wanted to be a fighter pilot. However, he earned navigator designation readily in 1943. His 455th Heavy Bomber Group was deployed to North Africa from Boise, Idaho in January 1944. While deployed, the bomber group moved into Italy after the German forces left. He flew 50 combat missions, including over the Ploesti Oil fields, and other strategic targets over Germany, Austria, Hungary and Romania. He earned a distinguished flying cross, five air medals, the Purple Heart, Presidential unit citation, European Theater ribbon with battle star and the Bronze Star.

He earned the Purple Heart due to being wounded in the face and eye from shrapnel during a bombing run over Romania in which he rescued the gunner who was pinned down in the turret. He was very humble about his time in active duty. His children only recently learned of his heroic actions that saved the life of the gunnery-. He served valiantly in WWII, receiving these numerous medals of recognition for valiant actions in combat in 1944. He also served in the Air Force in active combat during the Korean war."

Rest In Peace

Damaged M1 Jay Gaenzle.JPG

• 1 month later...

One of our South Vietnamese Allies with a Battle Damaged M1, hit in the head, bullet did pierce helmet and caused a wound, as he has a bandage under it, action say sometime in 1965 or 1966.

olopp.jpg

2 hours ago, patches said:

One of our South Vietnamese Allies with a Battle Damaged M1, hit in the head, bullet did pierce helmet and caused a wound, as he has a bandage under it, action say sometime in 1965 or 1966.

olopp.jpg

phenomenal photo thanks for sharing  

On 7/16/2019 at 3:30 PM, AustinO said:

This has always been one of my favorites:

post-5941-0-71808800-1563305368_thumb.jpg

Caption reads: "Sgt. Dibianca, A Member Of The 386Th Bomb Group Based At Great Dunmow, Essex, England, Holds A Flak Helmet Which Was Damaged During A Mission On 22 January 1944."

Antony F Dibianca was credited with at least one kill prior to this photo being taken:
As the formation was nearing the target a dark gray Me-109 approached the high flight in the first box from 4 o’clock high, then flew a parallel course out about 400 yards. The enemy pilot waggled his wings, and kept changing height, all the while edging in on a Marauder named, “SLIGHTLY DANGEROUS” 134941 RG-D--was being flown by Lieutenant Jean Blackwelder. His top turret and waist gunners fired at the enemy ship. Staff Sergeant A.E. DiBianca flying in the waist position of, “THE DEACON” joined in the battle, he zeroed in on the Me-109 and fired several bursts - the enemy plane burst into flames, entered a spin until it crashed into the ground and exploded! It was “bombs away” at 0942 hours as the enemy fighters closely pressed their attacks.

Note the painted ME109 on his flight jacket.

Makes wonder what was the German pilot trying to tell them with his movements and putting himself in danger

Your local M1 Garand
1 hour ago, manayunkman said:

Makes wonder what was the German pilot trying to tell them with his movements and putting himself in danger

That also makes me wonder, what if the enemy had radios to talk to the other side?

• 7 months later...
Salvage Sailor

Not as fortunate

242RIPPHILIPPINES.jpg.2acd5d7717a887ab79e925cfbbe6d05f.jpg

40th Division Luzon 1945

R.I.P. Philippines

• 4 months later...

Somewhere out in the Pacific, probably the Philippines in 1945,  because one man is carrying a Grease Gun. Maybe the 40th Division?

Ca.PNG

I got this one on ebay. No info to go with it.

I think its authentic and I'm including a link to a post I made on it that is entirely speculation

on my part. I went overboard..... I rekon......... But I feel its genuine.

Cant prove it. Its a low dome post WW2.

m.jpg.5b0e7dfe4df7b45fae7b7d96780f5685.jpg

x.jpg.95ecafd3e5f5bd569bcf662bbe639ac3.jpg

DSCF2792.JPG.ffe6c2c8cefd8a1aa7b7bce70e451d6a.JPG

knju.jpg.00963292407e3216949e68bf30f3840c.jpg

DSCF2871.JPG.43e97421e6aef9206ce7abd4b42eeb75.JPG

ydx.jpg.bf4e2ad9e6fb3fba79278726cda9d2cf.jpg