CATTARAUGUS 225Q

sgtdorango

Got da Penny

Somebody say "Show & Tell" ?? :D

PLUS, its a RIGHT handed Scabbard too ...

ce85re2.jpg

b761.jpg

20c5re2.jpg

3857.jpg

1db0re2.jpg

3af0.jpg

Carey

Thanks Guys! I seem to only see the left handed scabbards. Even owned one. I guess they did make righties, but the majority I believe are left hand. But, what was reson for left handed? Never see left hand MK2, or USMC Ka-Bar issue leather scabbards. THX SKIP

Bonjour.

This is my "cataraugus" It comes from'un village near my home in Lorraine. You may notice the cross of Lorraine on the handle.

cdlt solcarlus.

post-241-1275559119.jpg

post-241-1275559133.jpg

post-241-1275559147.jpg

Nice collection you have there :thumbsup: . I am intrigued by the knife on the far left - are the notches on the blade's top edge a factory variant or field expedient mod made by whomever used the knife? I have never seen such a variant in the Catt' knives.

I guess you see and learn something new every day.

Tim

The notches on back of the knife on the far left were added later buy a previous owner .I think the correct knife term for notches on the back a blade like this is jimping.

SKIP .The Q style knives have a very high proportion of left handed scabbards. There must be a reason for this. Does anyone here know why this is the case?

Hey Gang! Went to the Raleigh Militaria show yesterday. Lot of good stuff. Tried making a deal for a Utica dated M3, guy won't go for it. Offered cash, and a mint Camillus guard marked (2xpommel pins), but he wouldn't budge. He had $795, would go to $750. It had an early M8 scabbard. Oh well! Anyway, jumped on the Cattauragus 225Q band wagon. Used, but not abused, cream colored spacers,nice handle, and "left handed sheath". Also saw some nice Case 337 Q's,again all left handed sheaths. The mystery continues.. Sorry, no pics until I get a new camera. SKIP

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of my Catt 225Q's Left & Right hand sheaths and smooth & rough handle. Great knives and a classic style.

post-1715-1276632047.jpg

post-1715-1276632055.jpg

A couple of my Catt 225Q's Left & Right hand sheaths and smooth & rough handle. Great knives and a classic style.

post-1715-1276632117.jpg

post-1715-1276632136.jpg

post-1715-1276632168.jpg

post-1715-1276632177.jpg

• 8 months later...
Thanks Guys! I seem to only see the left handed scabbards. Even owned one. I guess they did make righties, but the majority I believe are left hand. But, what was reson for left handed? Never see left hand MK2, or USMC Ka-Bar issue leather scabbards. THX SKIP

I've noticed that a lot of leather sheaths for 5" and 6" knives during WW2 came left handed as well as the right handed ones. You make a good point regarding the MK2's. But I won't be surprised if some member doesn't post a set of pictures of their left handed MK2 leather sheaths. I suppose it's worth pointing out that some sheaths where reversible as well as the M8 scabbards. But it does seem like there where a lot more left hand sheaths compared to actual lefties. Could it be that this was a way to get the maximum number of sheaths from a piece of hide? :think:

I've noticed that a lot of leather sheaths for 5" and 6" knives during WW2 came left handed as well as the right handed ones. You make a good point regarding the MK2's. But I won't be surprised if some member doesn't post a set of pictures of their left handed MK2 leather sheaths. I suppose it's worth pointing out that some sheaths where reversible as well as the M8 scabbards. But it does seem like there where a lot more left hand sheaths compared to actual lefties. Could it be that this was a way to get the maximum number of sheaths from a piece of hide? :think:

I think the idea was to wear utility knives on the left side to keep the right side clear for sidearms. I guess since most Marines didn't bear sidearms, they decided to put the Mk2s on the right side.

I think the idea was to wear utility knives on the left side to keep the right side clear for sidearms. I guess since most Marines didn't bear sidearms, they decided to put the Mk2s on the right side.

Ebertson,

As a friend of mine from (Basston) ;) would say. "You make a faaa point!) :lol:

• 9 months later...
If you have not seen it, here is a neat picture of Major General "Dutch" Cota with a Cattaraugus knife hanging off his pistol belt -

MajorGeneralNormanDDutchCotawithCat.jpg

Hi,

This is not Catt 225Q. That's the Case 337-6"Q.

Take a look please at the kind of handle surface, what is more at keeper strap position. In the Case 337 keeper strap is much lower than in Catt 225 -- between 7/8 and 1in below the pommel, as can be seen in your photo. Catt's keeper strap was much higher situated -- between 3/8 and .5in below the pommel.

Regards

Gregory

Lt Bob Edlin (2nd Ranger Bn) had a 225Q knife on D-Day.

You can see the pommel of the knife and scabbard attached to this M28 pack suspenders on this image showing him embarking for Normandy...

edlin-294x389.jpg

(Grabbed this picture of the net, it's also shown in Jon Gawne's SDD)

As above (post #40) -- it does not look like Catt 225Q. That's the Case 337-6"Q or at least the sheath from this knife. In the Catts' sheaths the keeper strapas have never been in the place that can be seen in this photo.