USCG Gold Lifesaving Medal

67wop

Hi all,

I may have an opportunity to purchase an original Gold Lifesaving Medal from 1918. If it turns out that it is kosher what is the going rate for something so rare? The seller will show it to me tomorrow at which time I may be able to post some pics of it.

Thanks for your help,

Tony

FrankEaton01

Assuming it's in good condition, I've seen original named examples sell in the $7,000 - $10,000 range. If it's cased and/or has original paperwork, the price could be higher.

Thanks for your responses.

I was able to see it today and it is indeed an authentic type III medal. The planchet has become detached from the ribbon because the loop has opened but that could easily be reattached by a jewler. It does have the case which is in fair condition. It still closes but it will not latch because two of the top corners have failed.

The story of the rediscovery of this medal is amazing. My friend is doing some renovations to his house and he opened up the ceiling in his basement to redo some wiring. He happened to see something odd tucked back in the rafters so he pulled out some odds and ends in there which intrigued him and he opened more of the ceiling. That's when he discovered the envelope with the case and medal inside. It was apparently placed there by the recipient's son and forgotten over the years until last weekend. My friend is the second owner of the house so he knows how to contact the granddaughter and that is where the medal will be going. I'm glad the family will reconnect with their history but this opens up a new question.

The reverse of the medal has the following:

Henry M. Hansen

For gallantly saving the lives of four men.

May (3 or 5, it's hard to tell), 1919

It doesn't specifically mention what he did to get the medal. Does anyone know a way I can find out so when it goes back to the family they will know more about what their grandfather did to earn it?

Thanks again.

Garth Thompson

There are only two gold medal winners for that time frame with any variation of the name HANSEN:

Charles HANSEN Carpenter USCG May 11, 1920

Henry P. HANSON MM 2c USN May 15, 1920

There are no silver medal winners for the 1919 - 20 time frame with any variation of the name HANSEN

Garth

• 4 years later...

67wop,

I have the info you're seeking. My wife was sorting through old family stuff last night (Saturday) and found the news articles and pictures regarding her great-great-uncle's heroism. My casual curiosity of what the medal in the picture was for eventually brought me to this forum. I am signed up, as of Sunday, but have no way yet of contacting you personally. If still interested, I can be reached at [email protected].