Henderson Ames Co. Kalamazoo

Keith

This is a long ago seller of Military regalia; Can someone date this trademark for me: "The Henderson-Ames Co. Kalamazoo Mich" Thanks.

Google is a wonderful research aid, I answered my own question; 1893-1923. Thanks.

Frank Henderson was selling and / or making swords, regalia and military goods from 1850 until his death in 1899 and his company, Henderson-Ames co continuing until 1923. From 1850 to 1871 he operated his business under his name, Frank Henderson, in Kalamazoo MI. In 1871, Henderson formed a partnership with Theron F Giddings and started the Henderson & Giddings co. This only lasted until 1873 when the name was changed back to Frank Henderson. From 1873 to 1893 Henerson put out catalogs selling fraternal goods and began selling as an agent for the Ames Sword co. In 1893, Henderson consolidated his regalia company with the Chicago based branch of the Ames Sword Co forming the Henderson Ames Co. In 1894, Henderson bought the Detroit regalia factory of E. A. Armstrong, including sword plant, stock, tools, machinery, furniture and fixtures. When Henderson died in 1899, his firm continued in business until it was purchased and dissolved by M. C. Lilley co in 1923.

Bob Hudson

Henderson-Ames was one the so-called "society and military regalia" dealers of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. They sold military items, but primarily things for the many private (often religious) groups that used military-like uniforms such as the Knights of Templar. I suspect that most, if not all, of the swords and other items they sold were made by others, but were "private branded" for the retailers such as Henderson-Ames. I do know that they sold swords made in Germany.

Spathologist
I suspect that most, if not all, of the swords and other items they sold were made by others, but were "private branded" for the retailers such as Henderson-Ames. I do know that they sold swords made in Germany.

As Keith noted, when Henderson bought E.A. Armstrong's Detroit factory they acquired a sword plant. Henderson-Ames is noted in correspondence with the Ordnance Department in 1903 as having their own in-house sword manufactory. How long it was operational after 1903, I don't know.