• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 New Romantic

New Romantic
  • Members
    • Member ID: 599
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 06:48 AM

Now that I've finished the components for my enlisted medical corpsman equipment, I plan to work on the officer's belt. Obtaining a belt is no problem, but I would also like to pursue the belt's contents.

I don't have any good sources as to what was carried in the belt, except Dorsey's book, but that's a source I do not trust.

It would be great if someone posted the officer's belt's contents here, plus it would make an interesting topic. Also how many different variations of the field surgical kit are out there?

Thanks in advance.

#2 QED4

QED4
  • Members
    • Member ID: 55
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:27 AM

The book Uniforms, Equipment, and Weapons of the American Expeditionary Forces in World War I by Bret Werner shows several good colour pictures of the belt and it contents. It is the same as Dorsey but Werner shows the contents of the syringe set too. I don't have one myself to take pictures of and the book is copyrighted so can't help with pictures.

#3 New Romantic

New Romantic
  • Members
    • Member ID: 599
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 15 April 2007 - 04:24 PM

I'll go by Dorsey's book then. I don't have Werner's book, and actually I'd rather spend the $79 the book costs toward's the officer's belt's contents. I just didn't know how accurate Dorsey's display was.

#4 Guest_GCG_*

Guest_GCG_*
  • Guests
    • Member ID: 68

Posted 25 June 2007 - 06:20 PM

I am also working on completing EM and Officers Medical Belts. What items did you find for the EM belt? I am looking for a set of Diagnosis Tags. Do you have any leads?

#5 Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 943
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 06:24 PM

Hayes Otoupalik of Montana used to have a supply of original Diagnosis tags. You might want to check with him.

#6 atb

atb
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,685
  • 4,377 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:53 AM

You need to find The Medical Department of the United States Army in the World War, Volume III, Finance and Supply. It was published in 1928 by the War Department. In this volume see Section III, Field Equipment, Chapter XIV, Individual Equipment. That lists and shows (I think) the contents of the various belts carried in the field.

#7 Guest_GCG_*

Guest_GCG_*
  • Guests
    • Member ID: 3,685

Posted 27 June 2007 - 06:50 PM

Thanks Charlie, I will give Hayes a call. ATB - That sounds like a great book. I guess I will need to add that to my list.

#8 walt323

walt323
  • Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:46 PM

Here are a couple pics of the one I have. It looks to be almost complete and shows little use. There is a flask with a rubber stopper and a metal lid in the small pouch, in the large pouch, a diagnostic tag booklet and bakelite drug vials in a metal clip type bracket. DSC08154.JPG

#9 walt323

walt323
  • Members
  • 488 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:50 PM

DSC08153.JPG
The other side has a surgical instrument kit and thermometer in case in the large pouch. The small pouch has a tin of hypodermic needles. I think a sterilizer may also belong in here but this is the way it was when I purchased it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users