1 Kill on D-Day 56th Fighter Group pilot and POW

KASTAUFFER

KASTAUFFER

This group belonged to a true hero in my opinion. Bill flew a tour of 25 missions as a bomber pilot with the 381st Bomb Group in 1943-44 and then went back for more! In his second tour he became a P-47 fighter pilot and flew with the famous 56th Fighter Group until he was shot down and captured on Sept 18, 1944. Prior to being captured he shot down 2 German fighters including one on D-Day. He was interned in Stalag Luft I and survived the war. He stayed in the USAF and retired as a Major.

The 56th Fighter group amassed a record score in the ETO and was the home of pilots such as Hub Zemke and Gabby Gabreski.

I recently bought this group on Ebay.

mc.JPG

Bill's officially named DFC and Air medal. These were issued to his NOK while he was a POW. The other DFC is not named and was awarded to him after his 1st tour with the 381st BG.

mc1.JPG

mc2.JPG

KASTAUFFER

A couple of Photos . The smaller photo was taken on June 6, 1944 after he shot down his first German fighter plane.

mc8.JPG

mcelhare.jpg

KASTAUFFER

His wings. There are some very nice WWII wings in this lot.

The first one is his post war senior pilots wing made by Vanguard and the other a nice pair of Amico pinback sterling wings.

mc4.JPG

mc5.JPG

KASTAUFFER

Pair of NS Meyer pinback wings and a very heavy set of sterling pinback wings that are not maker marked.

mc6.JPG

mc7.JPG

KASTAUFFER

Original citations for his DFC and Air Medals earned while a bomber pilot with the 381st Bomb Group.

mc9.JPG

mc11.JPG

mc12.JPG

KASTAUFFER

These 2 documents are copies from the national archives. In each report he details how he scored his 2 kills.

56_mcelhare_6june44.jpg

KASTAUFFER

Finally a document that " sums it all up " . It is a commendation to the 56th Fighter Group for their part in the invasion of France from June 6 to June 27 1944.

mc10.JPG

Bill passed away in 1988. The WWII generation is slowly disappearing. They will be missed.

John Cooper

Kurt - FANTASTIC! You always seem to find these top shelf groups that are rich in history! Reminds me of the thing Belleuawood and CDG posted.

Thanks for posting!

John

EDIT - now to research and find his gun camera shots!

Finally a document that " sums it all up " . It is a commendation to the 56th Fighter Group for their part in the invasion of France from June 6 to June 27 1944.

post-105-1243482106.jpg

Bill passed away in 1988. The WWII generation is slowly disappearing. They will be missed.

Excellent grouping and documentation. He should have been promoted during his career to at least 05 or 06.

teufelhunde.ret

Kurt, another superb group... congrat's - thank you for preserving and sharing his history with us. s/f Darrell

Kurt,

This is a really nice group. I love it when there are photos. Its always cool to see a face.

Thanks for sharing this. thumbsup.gif

vicjoy1945

Hey Kurt !!

Fantastic grouping !!! Two thumbs way up thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

You're gonna make me dig into that bunker !!

Thanks again for showing !!

Vic

Kurt: Yet another great group your showing! Between you and BobG the collection "eye candy" is always amazing. The USS San Diego log book entry was also a nice addition to that thread.

Super group! Congrats! I was the 2nd underbidder on this one. Definitely a keeper. I'm glad a

guy like yourself ended up with it. I thought it was pretty neat that he finished a bomber tour,

and then went on to fly fighters scoring 2 vics with the 56th of all groups!

JD

BigJohn#3RD

post-105-1243482106.jpg

Kurt,

Another great grouping. Thanks for showing it in such detail.

John

Kurt-

Couple of brief mentions (and a photo) of him in the 56th FG History. Do you want me to pass them along?

Greg

KASTAUFFER
Kurt-

Couple of brief mentions (and a photo) of him in the 56th FG History. Do you want me to pass them along?

Greg

Thanks for all your comments guys!

Greg- I would love scans of the pages if you can email them to me!

Kurt