USAF IN VIETNAM

BEAST

Does anyone have an order of battle for the USAF squadrons/groups that flew missions in SE Asia? I would prefer one that lists which base they flew out of. Thanks in advance!

River Patrol

None exist that I know.

I use the following websites which cover nearly everything including bases and what groups were there and when.

http://www.tlc-brotherhood.org/bases.htm

This covers bases in Ubon, Udorn,NKP, U-tapao, Takhli, Korat, Don Muang...etc.

Also try Wikipedia (I know, not the greatest web source but there is good info. there on some AF bases in Vietnam). Search Phan Rang Air Base Vietnam or Bien Hoa Air Base Vietnam. Within each page there are links to other AF bases in Vietnam.

Steve, Great site! I had not seen that one before. I am sort of surprised that no one has put together a Korea or Vietnam USAF summary of the groups, wings and squadrons. I would like to pick up uniforms or insignia from units that were in theater and it would be nice to have a quick reference.

Thanks again!

None exist that I know.

I use the following websites which cover nearly everything including bases and what groups were there and when.

http://www.tlc-brotherhood.org/bases.htm

This covers bases in Ubon, Udorn,NKP, U-tapao, Takhli, Korat, Don Muang...etc.

Also try Wikipedia (I know, not the greatest web source but there is good info. there on some AF bases in Vietnam). Search Phan Rang Air Base Vietnam or Bien Hoa Air Base Vietnam. Within each page there are links to other AF bases in Vietnam.

How can you tell the difference between a Air National Guard, Air Reserve and Reguar USAF units? With an infantry unit, it is fairly easy, ranges of unit numbers were allocated to designate Regulars, Army Reserve and Army National Guard. Any method to the madness of numbering Squadrons/Groups/Wings?

Charlie Flick

Beast:

The best, most authoritative source of information on this subject is the Air Force Historical Studies Office. They have a very comprehensive listing of all of their publications, many of which address the role of the USAF in VN. Take a look at this link for a list of the publications.:

https://www.airforcehistory.hq.af.mil/Publi.../titleindex.htm

I hope this information proves helpful to you.

Charlie Flick

I have a booklet given out by the 7th AF in Viet Nam that lists all of its wings and groups if that will help any let me know.

Charlie/Erwin, Thanks for the websites! There's a lot of data to go through there.

QED4, I would like to see the booklet. Could you scan the 7th AF book into a PDF or Word format?

Thanks again to all!

How can you tell the difference between a Air National Guard, Air Reserve and Reguar USAF units? With an infantry unit, it is fairly easy, ranges of unit numbers were allocated to designate Regulars, Army Reserve and Army National Guard. Any method to the madness of numbering Squadrons/Groups/Wings?

Regular USAF units are numbered 1 thru 99 and 300 on up. ANG uses the numbers 100-199 and USAF Reserve uses numbers 200-299.

Now there may be some exceptions to this at different time periods, but this is the general rule of thumb on Air Force unit numbering.

Hope this helps.

Also, don't forget USAF units in Thailand and Guam that flew combat during the VN war. All B-52 and KC-135 units were in those places and not in Vietnam itself. Not to mention many Tactical Air Command fighter units going up north, who were mostly stationed in Thailand. There were probably as many USAF units in Thailand and Guam participating in the war as were serving in country VN.

Also, don't forget USAF units in Thailand and Guam that flew combat during the VN war. All B-52 and KC-135 units were in those places and not in Vietnam itself. Not to mention many Tactical Air Command fighter units going up north, who were mostly stationed in Thailand. There were probably as many USAF units in Thailand and Guam participating in the war as were serving in country VN.

Lee,

Good point. Wasn't 13th Air Force responsible for Thailand? Which Air Force was responsible for Guam?

7th and 320th Bombardment Wings operated from Guam.

I think the 13th USAF was responsible for Guam as well, but didn't find any proof to sustain this.

Erwin

River Patrol

The website that Charlie lists should not go unnoticed. When I stumbled onto this site a number of months ago, I nearly fell over my keyboard....TONS of FREE books in pdf format...saved my literally thousands of $$....Thank you USAF!

Tons of great reports and books to look through......All FREE w00t.gif

Take a look at this link for a list of the publications.:

https://www.airforcehistory.hq.af.mil/Publi.../titleindex.htm