us army ranger about late 80s beginning of 90s

msgt norway

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo
Rock

That is an FN Minimi, any idea when that pic was taken? I did not think it was in the inventory in the USAR when 107s were still around.

T-Bone

You could be correct. I see tucked in shirts. I just glanced at it as I got it off the uspi site.

Rock

msgt norway

more pictures,with a gear update+camo

DSCN0805.jpg

DSCN0809.jpg

DSCN0812.jpg

DSCN0813.jpg

DSCN0815.jpg

DSCN0818.jpg

DSCN0819.jpg

DSCN0820.jpg

yes i know i should have used camo cream in my neck but its hard when i use

old nam camo tubes.

anyone have a more modern camo tube? im also looking for the white and loam tube.

cheers from ken in norway

adamoi1984
more pictures,with a gear update+camo

DSCN0805.jpg

DSCN0809.jpg

DSCN0812.jpg

DSCN0813.jpg

DSCN0815.jpg

DSCN0818.jpg

DSCN0819.jpg

DSCN0820.jpg

yes i know i should have used camo cream in my neck but its hard when i use

old nam camo tubes.

anyone have a more modern camo tube? im also looking for the white and loam tube.

cheers from ken in norway

Great pictures Ken! Heres a little link that might help ya on the camo tube (not to mention, this guy has tons of great goodies!). http://www.omahas.com/product_info.php?products_id=2010

We used to use the greasy insect repellant to break down the camo sticks, a little repellant in hand then rub the stick in, makes applying it easier.

pwmiraldi67
Pic of the old school 1st Ranger Batt patch

1strangerbatt.jpg

Get yourself a Large ruck, some rappelling rope, a caribeanor and paint those foregrips. It would be more appropriate to *not* wear BDU's. The Rangers of the 70's and 80's wore rip stop jungle fatigues primarily. Green patrol caps also.

Rock

Yea but those "old School scrolls" were replaced right after grenada circa 83, by 1984 they went back to the WWII modern style :)

heres some we did for a TV show a few years back, Grenada 1983

paul

post-2472-1244009684.jpg

post-2472-1244009691.jpg

pwmiraldi67

A few more,

of course like a dummy I had the complete packing list, ammo food water, full Law, AN/PVS-4, rope, binos everything in my Large ruck and in ammo pouches while all the hollywood actors had air and pillows in there rucks; BASTARDS!! God I was tired, thank god it wasnt for real any more!!!

paul

post-2472-1244009804.jpg

post-2472-1244009821.jpg

Paul and Stephen look awsome on this one .

Sorry I missed it .

Paul .

You should start a thread just of all the impressions you have ever done .

It would be 57 pages long .

owen

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

That looks better. Large ruck etc. The radio dangling from your side might be an issue but I'm nitpicking. Using bug juice to smooth camo was a no-go in my Squad. The bug juice makes it come off easier and makes it shinier. Instead, use the old tube and a lighter to melt the end of the camo. As it cools it's still liquified and goes on easy and thick. In a standard unit you might get by with light camo or using thinning agents but it's generally frowned upon due to the reasons I stated. Put it on thick and heavy, cover the front and back of your head, neck, ears and any other exposed skin.

There are all sorts of short cuts that can be taken and were often taken by guys, but those same guys had worn off camo, or had to stop and get their camo sorted out too soon, slowing down the movement. Short cuts can cost time, and time is often something you dont' have in training or on the battlefield. As they say, short cuts in training cost blood on the battlefield. You train like you fight or you will fight you've trained.

Rock

pwmiraldi67
Paul and Stephen look awsome on this one .

Sorry I missed it .

Paul .

You should start a thread just of all the impressions you have ever done .

It would be 57 pages long .

owen

Thanks Owen,

your too kind bro!!!

yea I'll post some more here, wish Id taken more photos while we were doing all those TV shoots!!! heres 2 more, we were doing Delta on Grenada same shoot, day 4 :)

paul

post-2472-1244143412.jpg

post-2472-1244143421.jpg

msgt norway, Your outfit looks pretty close for the Battalions circa late 80's early 90's. The Battalions had switched to BDU's by Panama. The Battalions wore Vietnam era ERDL's from 1974 until 1982 or early 1983 when we switched to the OD Jungles. The BDU's were phased in in the late 80's. The Old 1st and 2nd battalion Scrolls were replaced by the current scrolls after the Regiment was formed in late 1984.

Just a few points, you need cat eyes and a name tape on the flap of your ruck and you also need cat eyes and a name tape on the rear of your PC. And I'd lose the bayonet on the LBE strap. Wearing one like that would be a pita while humping a ruck.

I've included a link to a post about Ranger PC's below. I made two posts on the second page about post Vietnam Ranger Patrol Caps. The first one explains the Battalion SOP's for insignia and the second one has pictures of my Grenada era 2nd Batt. PC.

pwmiraldi67, your Grenada set up looks right on, although the ruck should have an H-Harness and lower line. Great job though. The picture of the 2nd Batt Rangers in fatigues and berets was taken at Ft. Lewis sometime after 1984 but before 1989. The privacy fence around the quad visible in the background was built after I left in September 1984.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...1&hl=patrol cap&st=20

RLTW

B Co 2/75 1980-84

B Co 3/75 1984-85

4th RTB 1986-90

LRSD 1st Cav 1990-91

pwmiraldi67
msgt norway, Your outfit looks pretty close for the Battalions circa late 80's early 90's. The Battalions had switched to BDU's by Panama. The Battalions wore Vietnam era ERDL's from 1974 until 1982 or early 1983 when we switched to the OD Jungles. The BDU's were phased in in the late 80's. The Old 1st and 2nd battalion Scrolls were replaced by the current scrolls after the Regiment was formed in late 1984.

Just a few points, you need cat eyes and a name tape on the flap of your ruck and you also need cat eyes and a name tape on the rear of your PC. And I'd lose the bayonet on the LBE strap. Wearing one like that would be a pita while humping a ruck.

I've included a link to a post about Ranger PC's below. I made two posts on the second page about post Vietnam Ranger Patrol Caps. The first one explains the Battalion SOP's for insignia and the second one has pictures of my Grenada era 2nd Batt. PC.

pwmiraldi67, your Grenada set up looks right on, although the ruck should have an H-Harness and lower line. Great job though. The picture of the 2nd Batt Rangers in fatigues and berets was taken at Ft. Lewis sometime after 1984 but before 1989. The privacy fence around the quad visible in the background was built after I left in September 1984.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...1&hl=patrol cap&st=20

RLTW

B Co 2/75 1980-84

B Co 3/75 1984-85

4th RTB 1986-90

LRSD 1st Cav 1990-91

Hey latewatch,

Thanks alot!!!!!!

means alot coming from you, being that you were in and served with the Rangers!! ive got a name tape and cat eyes on both the ruck and the back of my cap.

when I was in back in the 80s we didnt have the Lightweight BDU's so being in Hawaii we wore the nam era Jungle greens, which was cool, except with the woodland BDU cap.

I used some photos from the archives, as well as a good friend and Formwer Ranger "Mad Max" Mullens, the only thing I didnt do was the 550 cord we used zip ties, and I just taped off everything like we use to with the 100 mile an hour tape. Glad you liked it, it was alot of fun and lot of hard work!!!

11 Bravo all the way!!!!

paul

post-2472-1244180230.jpg

I don't have many pictures from back in the day but, here's one of the Anti-Tank Section B Company 2/75 taken at

Ft. Lewis in the summer of 1983. From left to right Steve Griffin (me), Mike Emerling, Harold Hagen, John Macejunas (holding 90mm Recoiless), Mike Keith and Blair Hall (kneeling)

webco.jpg

pwmiraldi67
I don't have many pictures from back in the day but, here's one of the Anti-Tank Section B Company 2/75 taken at

Ft. Lewis in the summer of 1983. From left to right Steve Griffin (me), Mike Emerling, Harold Hagen, John Macejunas (holding 90mm Recoiless), Mike Keith and Blair Hall (kneeling)

webco.jpg

Right On!!!

You guys are high speed!!!

my platoon daddy was a Ranger Legend, taught hand 2 hand at the school, Sgt Swackhammer, one mean Mo Fo!!!

I was sent to RIP in Hawaii, by protest of course!! finished but wasnt recommended for the actual school. my land nav sucked and I was too short and didnt want to extend in order to have a year left after schooling. Oh well wasnt High Speed enough!!! Love to see some more photos or pick your brain on some gear stuff,

!! Bravo!! hooha

P

post-2472-1244217608.jpg

post-2472-1244217618.jpg

If you look at the far left of my Ranger School Photo you'll see Swackhammer standing there. He was the Senior Tac of the Benning Phase when I went through Ranger School. Later he came through the Light Leaders Course with the 25th when I was a Ranger Instructor.

Ranger1-82.jpg

pwmiraldi67
If you look at the far left of my Ranger School Photo you'll see Swackhammer standing there. He was the Senior Tac of the Benning Phase when I went through Ranger School. Later he came through the Light Leaders Course with the 25th when I was a Ranger Instructor.

Ranger1-82.jpg

Hey Ranger,

yep thats him!!!!! I was in Basic/AIT when they came through at Benning in May or June of 86, then we were all on our way to Hawaii and the 25th Light. Then we all arrived in July 1986 and the 4th Bn/ 87th Infantry (Light) Light Infantry My rump!!! he and SFC Ellithorp showed up, both from Batt. man he was hardcore. I heard from a friend he passed away, do you know anything about this???

thanks again

paul

Hey Ranger,

yep thats him!!!!! I was in Basic/AIT when they came through at Benning in May or June of 86, then we were all on our way to Hawaii and the 25th Light. Then we all arrived in July 1986 and the 4th Bn/ 87th Infantry (Light) Light Infantry My rump!!! he and SFC Ellithorp showed up, both from Batt. man he was hardcore. I heard from a friend he passed away, do you know anything about this???

thanks again

paul

Haven't heard anything about Swackhammer in at least 20 years.

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

I left CONUS in 1985 from Bragg. It's good that there are some guys that were in the Batt's giving advice on uniforms. I remember 82-85 and my few assicitations with the guys from the Ranger battalions. On the other hand, by 85 many of the guys that were in the Grenada invasion (82nd and Rangers) began being PCS'd througout the Army. I met many former 1st Batt, 2nd Batt and 82nd guys with combat patches when I was assigned to the Berlin Brigade. Can't remember names though.

I had no idea that the patches changed, nor did I know that the Ranger Batt's went to BDU's in the mid 80's. Makes sense though. The Army had phased out the jungle cammies and khaki's in 1983, and went to BDU's and Jungle fatigues. Makes sense that they'd phase out the jungle fatigues too. I still have two jungle fatigue jackets with all the associated patches. Never thought they'd actually be worth anything. Keep your BDU's as they're being phased out now.

Rock

pwmiraldi67
I left CONUS in 1985 from Bragg. It's good that there are some guys that were in the Batt's giving advice on uniforms. I remember 82-85 and my few assicitations with the guys from the Ranger battalions. On the other hand, by 85 many of the guys that were in the Grenada invasion (82nd and Rangers) began being PCS'd througout the Army. I met many former 1st Batt, 2nd Batt and 82nd guys with combat patches when I was assigned to the Berlin Brigade. Can't remember names though.

I had no idea that the patches changed, nor did I know that the Ranger Batt's went to BDU's in the mid 80's. Makes sense though. The Army had phased out the jungle cammies and khaki's in 1983, and went to BDU's and Jungle fatigues. Makes sense that they'd phase out the jungle fatigues too. I still have two jungle fatigue jackets with all the associated patches. Never thought they'd actually be worth anything. Keep your BDU's as they're being phased out now.

Rock

Hey Rock

yea found that out only because we were doing the TV show and had both uniforms in my colection, lucky I found the info and was able to dress everyone in the correct uniforms with the correct insignia.

Found out also the Delta Force guys also wore the bad ripstop tigerstripe uniforms also

paul

post-2472-1244482654.jpg