3 replies to this topic

#1 artu44

artu44

MODERATOR EMERITUS

• Members
    • Member ID: 67
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 08:55 AM

Today arrived my WWI grenade bag I bought at (I hope) nice price. Anyway I like it and 32$ are not a fortune. Robinb told me they brought it on the ctg belt as the old m1904 haversacks but I've found one on the web complete with a narrow shoulder strap. Is there anybody who can post a period pic?

Attached Images

• Untitled_1.jpg

#2 New Romantic

New Romantic
  • Members
    • Member ID: 599
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 02:32 PM

Not bad for $32 Artu, I've seen these sell for more.

I can't recall ever seeing one in a period photo. It would be interesting if someone found one.

#3 Russell 1910

Russell 1910
  • Members
    • Member ID: 141
  • 220 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:12 PM

I believe reading somewhere (perhaps on the other collecting forum) that these bags were not produced in time to make it to France prior to the armistice, or simply were not sent overseas. I am not sure when they were used. Also it appears that this bag was designed to be worn on the cartridge belt, like the haversacks as you mentioned, this is also evident by the use of the open hooks, rather than "D" rings, etc (if a shoulder strap was the only intended method of suspension). The other detail I recall is that the web shoulder straps were added by the surplus industry to make the bags more saleable to the general public. Although it would certainly be possible for any service member issued this bag to have modified it by adding a shoulder strap. I suppose it would not have been the first time a soldier altered/adjusted his eqiupment to suit his needs.

I am sure there are others here that can either clarify or add more details to the above thoughts.

$32 appears to be a good price. I paid more for the one I have.

Edited by Russell 1910, 11 April 2007 - 04:13 PM.

#4 QED4

QED4
  • Members
    • Member ID: 55
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 06:51 PM

I have one that came with a shoulder strap. It is one inch wide and has WWI style hardwear (snap hooks and buckle) I can take a picture of it if any wants to see it but it just looks like a strap. The pouch itself is dated Nov 1918 so this one at least never made into action.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users