How Do You Clean Plastic Grips?

vettepartz

vettepartz

I have a late 1945 M1911 produced by Remington Rand. Gun is in nice shape but the grips are well used. I saw a thread that suggested getting nice grips from Simpson company. I looked them up, saw a very nice pair very reasonably priced, and ordered them. Well their picture and what I got were not the same at all. I thought vendors were supposed to state that in their ads. Anyways, one of the grips has a lot of black and white paint on it, as if to mark it. I know the grips (Keyes) are made of plastic and some paint removers such as turpentine or lacquer thinner or acetone might melt or destroy the plastic. Does anyone have any ideas on what to use to remove the paint? I hope this is in the correct section on this forum.

I have a late 1945 M1911 produced by Remington Rand. Gun is in nice shape but the grips are well used. I saw a thread that suggested getting nice grips from Simpson company. I looked them up, saw a very nice pair very reasonably priced, and ordered them. Well their picture and what I got were not the same at all. I thought vendors were supposed to state that in their ads. Anyways, one of the grips has a lot of black and white paint on it, as if to mark it. I know the grips (Keyes) are made of plastic and some paint removers such as turpentine or lacquer thinner or acetone might melt or destroy the plastic. Does anyone have any ideas on what to use to remove the paint? I hope this is in the correct section on this forum.

Don't laugh, but I have used a fingernail brush and baby oil. Wash with dish soap, I use Dawn. Repeat as needed.

If nothing else they will smell great and be all "silky smooth"

T-Bone

Dirteater101

Been here, done this.

From the shop of the old trooper: If you do not have access to a parts washer (non caustic solvent, thermal type) This is the next most effective method.

WHAT YOU NEED:

1: old tooth brush or other soft brush.

2: rubber gloves, surgical type

3: Lacquer thinner, small can, get mine at ace or home despot.

4: Soft lint less cloth rags. The lint less is just to avoid the "fuzzies" that will stick to the grips.

The EASY PART.

Apply lacquer thinner to the cloth, enough to saturate. Wipe grips. Work stubborn areas with tooth brush. Work quickly, the lacquer thinner can melt plastic. But it works really well. Rinse with water as a final step.

Cheapest, quickest and easiest and so far most effective I have found. i use it on mine and my clients weaponry.

Jeez, the automobile restorer in me says start with the least damaging thing and work up

How's about warm soapy water and a toothbrush, then if that fails, some alcohol and a toothbrush?

vettepartz

Thanks for all those suggestions. Here is what I did: I was going to use baby oil, but had none so I substituted Vaseline Intensive Care lotion. Let it soak for about ten minutes then scrubbed with a toothbrush AND MY THUMBNAIL. Rinsed in hot water and soaked with a detergent soap and scrubbed with toothbrush. The paint was actually coming off in small pieces. I did this about 4 times and by then all the paint was gone and the grip was so clean that I did it to the other one so they would match. The grips look great but my thumbnail looks like hammered crap. Thanks

If you have a hobby shop in your town check with them. There used to be a paint and decal remover available that was formulated not to harm plastic. I would NOT used lacquer thinner!

Dirteater101

I have done this quite a few times. if the lacquer thinner is removed quickly it leaves you really good results. I have tryed the other methods (have lots of opportunity for all of the screwed up "dime store cowboy" tactical rifles that come into the shop for a rebuild) and have produced less than satisfactory results. You will find out that usgi plastic is a little more durable than most. And when in doubt, New old stock G.I. plastic grips through sarco are under $10.