3 replies to this topic

#1 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 21,469 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:46 PM

I picked up a group of photos and items that belonged to a retired US Air Force officer. As I do some research I find that he was the intelligence officer the 58th Wing Air Photo Unit during the July 1946 A-BOMB tests at Bikini Atoll and today another member found information indicating that he went into Normandy with the 82nd Airborne, possible parachuting in with Force "A".

Does anyone know of a roster showing the 82nd's air support parties? The guy I'm looking for is Major Donald B Yeager. The book "Air Force Diary" says he "dropped" with the 82nd, but that's kind of vague. I just have these two snippets from the book to go on:

"That was close co-ordination, and it was called for by Major Donald B. Yeager,
air-support-party officer, who was told of the situation by the commander of ..."

and

Posted Image

(Lt Col Joseph Focht was an Air-Ground Cooperation Officer with the 9th Tactical Air Command)

#2 jim2

jim2
  • Members
    • Member ID: 100
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:40 PM

I did find this info:

YEAGER, DONALD B
LT COL US AIR FORCE
WORLD WAR II, KOREA
DATE OF BIRTH: 08/17/1913
DATE OF DEATH: 11/12/1990
BURIED AT: SECTION 425 ROW B SITE 37
LOS ANGELES NATIONAL CEMETERY
950 SOUTH SEPULVEDA BOULEVARD LOS ANGELES, CA 90049
(310) 268-4675

#3 Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson

Forum Co-Founder (Ret)

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 2
  • 21,469 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:00 AM

Thanks Jim.

Now I need to find out if there's a D-Day roster with his name on it. I've the "Air Force Diary" book from ebay, but it would be nice to back that up with another confirmation of his D-Day activities, especially whether he parachuted with Force A or came in on a glider.

#4 marygerz

marygerz
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 15,709
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:46 PM

Hi, This might help. There's a Yeager (nm) listed as Capt. in the 80th anti aircraft batallion with the 82nd. thereis a Belhian site that has rosters. USAIRBORNE.BE go to the American flag, then links, scroll down and hit rosters. There's a whole section on history etc. Mary :blink: :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)