• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 21,535 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 11:22 AM

This one may catch some by surprise. I did catch me off guard; (came in a period group from epay, with lousy pictures, I wonder how many loose money from posting w/ lousy digital picís. A leap of faith has paid off more often than not for me) here we have one out of the unmarked meyer series with longitude & latitude lines. This validates the opinion of Gary; these were produced post 1926 uniform reg's and the china marine or droop wing series.

Upon close observation; between the ring and stock a very small ring joins the top of the stock, not seen on any other of this variation. Also the obverse is very defined and cleaner (no crude or slag) in manufacture, again, unlike any other of the series. This emblem is clearly different from any shown in Orgel's reference. And based on the design of the continents, this series does not definitively match any cap emblems of the period.

BTW: THIS EAGLE IS SEEKING A MATE

Attached Images

• ega_013.jpg
  • ega_015.jpg
  • ega_012.jpg
  • ega_016.jpg

Edited by teufelhunde.ret, 08 July 2007 - 12:43 AM.

#2 robert60446

robert60446
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,829
  • 573 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:45 AM

Hi guys,
These birds were probably bitten to death at some point; well here is my contribution to M1920 collar pieces subject. I think consensus on those is: unmarked Meyer piece from slightly later period. I hope I’m correct here. Sadly there is no roller on it…

Attached Images

• 1920_Collar_dress_Obverse_copy.jpg

#3 robert60446

robert60446
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,829
  • 573 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 05:45 AM

Reverse

Attached Images

• 1920_Collar_dress_Reverse_copy.jpg

#4 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,535 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:46 AM

I concur, these were likely used in the 20's as a private purchase option, not issue. Further variations of this pattern apparently remained in production thru and possibly beyond WW2. As to whether or not Meyer produced all of these ever seen or the pattern was produced w/o hallmark for use on other merchants "store card" still remains a mystery. Here is an interesting early variation of these emblem:

http://www.usmilitar...?showtopic=4268

s/f Darrell

#5 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,535 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:17 AM

BTW, here is picture of the Meyer bird w/ hallmarks

Attached Images

• ega0608aback.jpg
  • ega0608amarks.jpg
  • ega0608a.jpg

Edited by teufelhunde.ret, 19 April 2008 - 09:18 AM.

#6 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
  • 21,535 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 04:24 AM

Fellow forum members:

You are in the "EGA reference section". This area is were posts from the EGA "discussion section" are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the "EGA discussion area" which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on this post to moderator's and forum staff

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users