8th Air Force Lead Crew Uniform

GIKyle

Got this from a friend last week. Belonged to Harry Parmley who was a ball turret gunner with the 486th Bomb Group. He was shot down on 8 APR 45 and taken POW to Stalag VIIA. The uniform is spectacular with a bullion gunner wing applied to a lead crew background and a bullion 8th Air Force patch. Special thanks to TBMFlyer for helping with the research.

Kyle

post-537-1242507669.jpgpost-537-1242507688.jpg

A closeup of the wing. The background has been hit up by moths but it is definitely one of a kind.

Kyle

post-537-1242507757.jpg

John Cooper
Spectacular uniform! Closeups of the wings and the patch would be great!

Beau

I second that!

John

Kyle, that is one sweet jacket-it looks even better in person. Glad I could help with some info on the vet. I bet he had no trouble getting the ladies when he showed up in that coat. Thanks for taking the time to post a very rare example of a lead crew uniform-Mark

Thanks for the comments... I wonder if his personal effects even left base by the time he was repatriated and this is his original jacket or if he had to get a whole new set before going home. Either way, a great named coat with some good history. Close up photos below.

Kyle

post-537-1242777881.jpgpost-537-1242777875.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
1st Sgt CES
Thanks for the comments... I wonder if his personal effects even left base by the time he was repatriated and this is his original jacket or if he had to get a whole new set before going home. Either way, a great named coat with some good history. Close up photos below.

Kyle

post-537-1242777881.jpgpost-537-1242777875.jpg

• 5 years later...
AAF_Collection

Kyle, you know I love this one :love: the history behind it is great. The buttons look British made, is this correct? I have three coats to aircrew with Brit. made buttons, and another where the guy fitted officers buttons.

I'll have to post a few of my Eighth air crew uniforms soon.

Regards,

Matt.

• 11 months later...

Wow, gorgeous jacket indeed! It was my father's, CMSGT Harry T. Parmley III, and he was shot down in '45. He survived to serve until 7Dec1973, dying at Tripler AMC, Hawaii, and is buried at Punchbowl National Cemetery. I myself am a retired QMCM, USN, now residing in Las Vegas. Any access to this uniform would be greatly appreciated. Its condition reflects my father's meticulous care of his personal appearance...

• 8 years later...