3 replies to this topic

#1 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

Deceased Forum Co-Founder

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 4
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 01:55 AM

A digital pic made from Joe Rosenthal's original negative. Flags of our Fathers.....uncropped and in horizontal format at he shot the photo that morning.

And this is that same image, cropped, that caused all the excitement.

This is a print signed and inscribed by Joe to a co worker while he worked at a San Francisco newspaper in the late 1940's.

Attached Images

• nara_iwojima.jpg
  • iwojima2velma.jpg

#2 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 5
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 10:55 AM

The October, 2006 issue of LEATHERNECK Magazine has a great article on the first flag raising. It ID's all of the men involved and has a pretty complete set of sequencial photos. Worth the price of the mag by far. LEATHERNECK is sold on most major bookstore magazine racks.

#3 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 4
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 11:40 AM

The October, 2006 issue of LEATHERNECK Magazine has a great article on the first flag raising. It ID's all of the men involved and has a pretty complete set of sequencial photos. Worth the price of the mag by far. LEATHERNECK is sold on most major bookstore magazine racks.

Sounds well worth having although I suspect by now the November issue has replaced it. So may be more difficult to find. The good news is I have two books which pretty much have all that info and those photos. "FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS" has most of that plus a few years ago I purchased "GIVE ME FIFTY MARINES NOT AFRAID TO DIE" by John Keith Wells. Lt Wells was platoon leader of 3rd Platoon, Easy Company, 2nd Battalion, 28th Marines, 5th Marine Division. It the most decorated platoon to fight in a single engatement in the history of the Marine Corps. And I believe Easy Co 2/28 has that same distinction as a Marine rifle company. Lt Wells was selling autographed copies of his book a few years ago and it also covers the flag raising. I believe Pharmacist Mate 2nd Class John H. Bradley was in Lt Well's platoon along with many of the men who captured Mt Suribachi that morning of 23 February 1945.

Lt Wells was badly injured in that engagement and was evacuated only after being repeatedly wounded to the point where he was forced to turn over command of his platoon to his Platoon SGT.

#4 craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 5
  • 11,253 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 11:43 AM

I just received the NOV issue in the mail today so there is a good chance you can still find a OCT issue on news stands.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users